=] 12 Months of Hobby Challenge 2021 [=

Grotsmasha

Quick status update while I wait for the varnish to harden. I continue to be impressed with Contrast. I've still got all the highlights to go, so they're a little dark yet, but these guys literally have just Contrast and conventional metallics, and are already basically tabletop standard.

http://i.imgur.com/IsrSkMFh.jpg

I've been loving contrast paints! I feel like they got a bad rap from many of the initial click-bait blog and video reviews. I've found they're like any other paint in that there's a learning curve while figuring out how to use each color and where they work best. Furs, clothes, areas with folds are great. Flat surfaces (with CP right out of the pot) are doable, but take patience and is more like pushing pigment around than painting (pulling pigment around?).

I think certain model ranges (Nurgle, Orks) benefit a bit more than others.

I've been loving contrast paints! I feel like they got a bad rap from many of the initial click-bait blog and video reviews. I've found they're like any other paint in that there's a learning curve while figuring out how to use each color and where they work best. Furs, clothes, areas with folds are great. Flat surfaces (with CP right out of the pot) are doable, but take patience and is more like pushing pigment around than painting (pulling pigment around?).

I think certain model ranges (Nurgle, Orks) benefit a bit more than others.

Yeah I'm slowly replacing my base colours with contrast paints, they make it easier to get a layered look without the work. Which is the point of them.

Also Aprils vow is complete.

20210410 133502[1]

Might add another vow later.
Edited by Focslain

Vow complete! :biggrin.:

Behold, Brother Vothar Maranus Feir of the Lions Eternal!

gallery_46204_9220_96804.jpg

...Also Jeremy the Poxwalker from last months vow - I did promise a better picture of him after all. :sweat:

I decided to try and make him look battle-worn and ancient, mostly by going in hard with the Longbeard Grey / Etherium Blue drybrushes.

I think it's kind of worked - his armour looks like it's not seen fresh paint in a while, although it doesn't look damaged as such. Which is fine - Vothar's not an easy guy to put down!

More pics in the spoiler below. :happy.:

Front shot - shield viewgallery_46204_9220_57191.jpg
Front shot - Aquila view
gallery_46204_9220_3615.jpg
side shot - shoulderpad
gallery_46204_9220_94925.jpg
back shot - backpack view
gallery_46204_9220_68358.jpg

And one with a White Hawk, just because he was still on my table :teehee:
gallery_46204_9220_52529.jpg
Edited by Ace Debonair

Second April vow done, second Auxilia command squad finished. Also, an update on my Plodding along vow, to show what I have left (the pure steel airbrushed models) 19 volkite and 19 lasrifle troopers.

hnic0ZN.jpg

ahIYifA.jpg

Edited by Lord_Ikka

@TPS

Those flying Custodes(?) are just gorgeous!! Any chance to see more of them? :smile.:

Thanks! I was miffed at the Venatari always being sold out at Forge World, so I made my own. The large wingspan is quite a bit of a disadvantage, but they were a lot of fun to make and I enjoy their look! I'll try to put up some more pictures in a spoiler.

@TPS

Those flying Custodes(?) are just gorgeous!! Any chance to see more of them? :smile.:

Thanks! I was miffed at the Venatari always being sold out at Forge World, so I made my own. The large wingspan is quite a bit of a disadvantage, but they were a lot of fun to make and I enjoy their look! I'll try to put up some more pictures in a spoiler.

Well they definitely play with the rule of cool! :yes:

I'm lagging behind a little due to this pesky covid infestation (no worries, I'll live), but it's still a joy to see all of your fantastic works here!

I managed to complete my first mini this month - a Blood Angles Chapter, 5th Company, 3rd squad Sergeant Borelio:
gallery_105306_14251_1164791.jpg
Cheers!

Realised I'd been a muppet and forgotten to vow what I've been working on recently. For April, I vow to complete at least six Sword Brethren Terminators.

91f2JjY.jpg?1

If any of you fancy seeing some of what I forgot to vow, take a look at my Black Templars thread in my signature. Here's a little teaser...

o5MTdGX.jpg

Ooh, what's the recipe for that glow on the Plasma Cannon?

A bunch of thin layers of Yriel Yellow to build up a nice even yellow, then a fairly heavy shade with Casandora Yellow that lovely orange colour in the recesses, fine highlights on coils (concentrating on the top and upper sides more) with Phalanx Yellow, then a light glaze with a smidge more Casandora Yellow to blend the highlights in a bit better.

Im still alive, just took a few days off from painting, starting to get burnout from having so many projects on the go at once so decided to have a few days playing Company of Heroes for a little break. Annoyingly I want to build more tanks and guardsmen now so its having the opposite effect. :lol: