If Guilliman wanted to purge the entire Inquisition...

...which other Imperial organisation(s) would be the best tools to accomplish the job?

Would it be wiser to implement a public purge or a shadow war of extermination?

Seems like the latter would be the go-to choice...as the former would incur a major political cost, possibly leading to open civil war as Guilliman's enemies leverage such a bold move as the mark of a renegade and other institutions balk at the prospect of being next in line.

EDIT: Read the feedback and am adjusting to provide a slightly more plausible scenario:

Assume for the sake of discussion that the vast majority of Ordos Hereticus, Xenos, and Malleus inquisitors have gone Extremis Diabolus and Guilliman wants to exterminate them...but if extermination is not possible, he will break their power and cast them down as Imperially sanctioned Ordos.

He will keep the other minor Ordos around and convert them into a new organisation, likely not named the Inquisition.

Edited by b1soul

As a jumping-off point you offer a compelling concept.

Bear in mind that the Inquisition is not “one thing” and that in many fluff sources we see that there are differing factions within in terms of their standpoints and interpretation. So it might not be a case of eliminating the whole of the Inquisition - Guilliman might consider some elements worth retaining, reforming and indeed moulding to a purpose more in line with his views.

But yes, on your substantive point I am sure it would be done covertly and gradually rather than openly.

The best Tool to purge the Inquisition, is the Inquisition. But Guillaume would probably not try to purge them. To useful, to hard to remove and not His field of Expertise. Corax, alpharius or curze could handle it properly, but Guillaume... Not so much. Edited by MasterDeath

If it needs to be done Right Now, I'd say the Assassinorum but there's just not (supposed to be) enough assassins to go around, so he'd probably have to go the Order 66 route and order the Imperial Guard to execute every Inquisitor they see.

That having been said, too many Ordos doing too many vital things, so he wouldn't decide to do it as anything other than a (very) long-term project. 

Between that and the fact that he's Guilliman and Primarchs won't die of old age, the Administratum is probably his best tool. Start by keeping proper records on how many Inquisitors are out there and who they are, and pull the ability to appoint NEW Inquisitors to the office of the Lord Commander. Then appoint less and less of them - if the total number of active Inquisitors is shrinking and various duties are picked up by other agents, who but him is going to know? Meanwhile, the Assassinorum should be able to keep up with taking out the most problematic offenders / thinning out the ranks.

Eradicating the Inquisition might not actually be as difficult as folk may think when you look at it. Sure, they're very secretive, but therein lies their biggest weakness. Allow me to explain.

If the Inquisition was outlawed, their jurisdiction and capacity to requisition resources would be seriously reduced. Essentially, they'd have nothing but the shirts on their backs. They'd have to work secretly and each battle they lose (not pitched battle but control for resources and being able to hide and survive etc) would be a terrible blow.

They would of course have influence and might hoarded from centuries of power, but each year that would diminish.

Ultimately, they'd be relegated to little more than terrorists and as such, would be less and less powerful on the galaxy stage.

Ultramar had a history of covert operatives who acted like secret police, so the battle against the outlawed Inquisition would be quite deadly for all due to expertise being established, but the side with the might and resources of the Imperium is an incredibly potent thing.

Slight adjustment for a perhaps more plausible scenario:

Assume for the sake of discussion that the vast majority of Ordos Hereticus, Xenos, and Malleus inquisitors have gone Extremis Diabolus and Guilliman wants to exterminate them...but if extermination is not possible, he will break their power and cast them down as Imperially sanctioned Ordos.

He will keep the other minor Ordos around and convert them into a new organisation, likely not named the Inquisition.

Too dangerous to get rid of the Inquisition entirely. The Imperium is struggling as it is getting rid of genestealer cults, chaos cults, rouge psykers, corrupt/ seditious officials, mutants the list goes on. If anyone is in a position to prune the Inquisition, it would be the Custodes and Assassin's. At best, RG should be interested in just getting rid of opposition, reward the cronies. He isn't a 100% stick man, he knows the value of carrots. The Inquisition is as much a help as a hinderance to RG.

I think a shadow war against the inquisition would likely just collapse the Imperium, inqusitors and their agents are buried into the very core of imperial institutions and if it really came down to it, they have vaults and vaults of toys too dangerous to be allowed loose, which they would inevitably set loose.

A coordinated strike by marines on their major fortresses and such would be more plausible, if horrifically wasteful, and you would stand a chance of containing the really grim fallout, but that still leaves huge numbers of Inquisitors and all their toys loose in the Imperium with a grudge.

Thats before you get into all the split loyalties, Chambers militant and enemies of Guilliman seizing upon an obvious power play by him.

I think while this is an interesting thought experiment it’s probably important to remember a few facts while thinking about the inquisition as a whole and why it would be almost impossible to destroy the organisation

*The Inquisition isn’t a single body, it has many Ordos major and minor within them Conclaves and Cabals all the way down to a single inquisitor. But that isn’t really a good representation of the inquisition. Ultimately an Inquisitor is just that, an Inquisitor and He/She is bound by no rule or law but the Throne itself

*To my prior point the organisation is bound by no power but the voice of the emperor himself, so have limitless authority within the imperium and the Lex. trying to destroy the inquisition by the Lex Imperialis would be impossible, only the Emperor himself could disband them just as only the Emperor could disband the Custodes

*As the Inquisition isn’t an single body or organisation and has many differing beliefs and values within its whole, the reasons for a complete dissolution is entirely impossible to even warrant a just cause. What might be a perfectly acceptable method or ideology to one Inquisitor will be blatant heresy to another

*While disparate and fractious the Inquisition as a whole is easily one of the most (most likely the most) powerful organisation within the Lex Imperialis as seen by its permanent seat on the High lords council for 10 millennia. Coupled with the fact they have sanctioned authority over every other Adepta (Apart from Mars) that sits at the high lords council and all the rest that don’t

Edited by BladeOfVengeance

Interesting question, to which I would like to just add one thing to consider. 

Could Guilliman get any message to the whole Imperium, unimpeded, quickly, and without distortion? I don't think it would even be possible to get a "Hello how are you?" to even a fraction of all the relevant authorities across the Imperium.

Now imagine that he tries to send out a highly controversial message, outlawing the authority of the Inquisitors, who for thousands of years have enjoyed near unlimited jurisdiction and no accountability. Who work in the shadows and are masters of manipulation and deception. This enormous, labyrinthine apparatus of terror which has seeded deep into the Imperium's roots versus a (genius granted) honourable warrior and statesman. I don't think the Inquisition would break a sweat! 

The only way he can hope to do it is by relying on those resources that will not fail him: his Astartes, taking out Inquisition assets wherever he can. They would soon learn to decentralise I'm sure and then he is fighting a war of attrition across the galaxy. I suspect he has bigger fish to fry!

Eradicating the Inquisition might not actually be as difficult as folk may think when you look at it. Sure, they're very secretive, but therein lies their biggest weakness. Allow me to explain.

If the Inquisition was outlawed, their jurisdiction and capacity to requisition resources would be seriously reduced. Essentially, they'd have nothing but the shirts on their backs. They'd have to work secretly and each battle they lose (not pitched battle but control for resources and being able to hide and survive etc) would be a terrible blow.

They would of course have influence and might hoarded from centuries of power, but each year that would diminish.

Ultimately, they'd be relegated to little more than terrorists and as such, would be less and less powerful on the galaxy stage.

Ultramar had a history of covert operatives who acted like secret police, so the battle against the outlawed Inquisition would be quite deadly for all due to expertise being established, but the side with the might and resources of the Imperium is an incredibly potent thing.

The problem is the very influence that you've attributed to the inquisition. Sure, its formal authority would be greatly diminished, if not outright eliminated. However, consider the folks that have been ingratiated to the inquisition over the millennia. Planetary governors that are only vaguely aware that the inquisition purged a cult from their world before exterminatus became the preferred option. Tech priests that appreciate the quid pro quo they've got with an ordo xenos bloke who keeps giving them interesting "STC"s from "mysterious sources." How many chapters owe an inquisitor a honor debt for their timely intervention? How many regiments of IG have secretly served the inquisition from Day 1? How many high lords would gladly ignore Guilleman in order to support the system that has worked for 10,000 years?

Guilleman going after the inquisition in anything resembling a public fashion (the only way he'd be qualified to even try) would result in a wonderful civil war.

And Guilleman deciding to be subtle about it makes me giggle; that's how seriously I'd consider that.

If he doesn't do it publicly, it's a doomed effort if he wants the institution gone, as opposed to just replacing its membership with compliant puppets and pruning away factions he doesn't like.

The Inquisition is not actually populated by idiots, and getting rid of it involves removing its legitimacy and powerbases.

I think the idea might be to marginalise discussion that's not to the taste of the mod who did it

I think moving this discussion to its appropriate forum will bring it to the attention of those who are interested in this. It will increase the level of discussion with all of our brethren. Warriorfish, is a resolute member of the inquisition.

Guillimon, would be at dire circumstances taking on the inquisition. Think of the power that they wield. The ability to command companies of imperial troops, even chapters of the astartes,not to mention the number of assassins, and even the Sisters, possibly the Mechanicum, for their own reasons. It is interesting, and a good itea to debate.

Hope you get lots of comments. It sounds like a possible long campaign. Lots of proponents even xeno interest.

Considering the snails pace at which information travels through the Imperium and how it takes even longer for important stuff to be verified and believed, the most likely outcome of a declaration to outlaw the inquisition would be:

Some belive it and obey

Some believe it but don't obey

Some find it unbelievable

Some will consider the order complete heresy

Some will rub their hands in glee

Some will ask: "What's an Inquisiton? Can we eat it?" *Replace inquisiton with Lord Commander as needed*

I know current lore focuses a lot on G-Mans crusade, but considering there are worlds in the Imperium that don't hear from any authority in centuries it's safe to say that such an order would be fairly ineffectual and would take hundreds of years to spread in the best of cases.

That is all beside the question of "why would he do something like that?"

Edited by sairence

It’s an interesting conversation for sure. 

I’ll say in my opinion that Guillimam would not do something like this in secret. I think if he believed a move like this was prudent then he would simply commit to it and declare the action as the voice of the regent. 

How would it go? I’d suggest terribly. I believe those in high political positions who feel threatened already by Guilliman’s presence and some of his mandates already.p would find allies in these Inquisition groups. Heck it could even devolve into a shadow war of sorts.