Predicting Primaris: What will the next wave bring?

Well, I'm glad to see this discussion rolling along. Since there's already enough back and forth going on and I'm a little busy at the moment, I'll hold off another day or two on mentioning the specific vehicle models I envision GW releasing in the upcoming wave. In the meantime, I just wanted to mention a couple of things I left out of my initial post:

1) With both the Outrider MPK Squad and my predicted "Oppressor" Assault Marine EQ, I could see GW allowing the sergeants in those squads access to all of the melee weapons in the Assault Intercessor kit, even if they don't give them the plasma pistol and hand flamer options. That would save a little space in those kits and still allow some versatility.

2) Oppressors would have the advantage of cost over Outriders. While an Outrider goes for 45 points, I see Oppressors clocking in around 22 or 23. So while two three-man squads of Oppressors would cost around the same as a three-man squad of Outriders and have the same number of wounds, they could at least cover or challenge for two different objectives, which counts for something in 9th. It'd be nice if their vertical-move ability were more compelling this edition, but they at least would bring the deepstrike option that Outriders lack. I also see them matching the Outriders' movement speed as they won't be burdened with the autocannons that the Suppressors have to cart around.

+1 for Jump Pack melee squads. I play Blood Angels and would like to add Primaris to my flying Elites. I have enough Sanguinary Guard and Death Company so some flying Vets would be great. Sort of a cross between Vanguard Vets and Bladeguard.

+1 for Jump Pack melee squads. I play Blood Angels and would like to add Primaris to my flying Elites. I have enough Sanguinary Guard and Death Company so some flying Vets would be great. Sort of a cross between Vanguard Vets and Bladeguard.

I keep thinking the Sanguinary Guard statline (including weapons) would make a lot of sense for a Primaris jump pack unit.

I hope they'll add Special Rules to let the Repulsor deploy from orbit like a drop pod that remains mobile after it Deep Strikes, as described in Black Library novels; a Primaris aerospace transport (to supplement the Thunderhawk and replace the Stormraven) and multirole fighter (to replace the Stormtalon and Stormhawk).

I hope they'll add Special Rules to let the Repulsor deploy from orbit like a drop pod that remains mobile after it Deep Strikes, as described in Black Library novels; a Primaris aerospace transport (to supplement the Thunderhawk and replace the Stormraven) and multirole fighter (to replace the Stormtalon and Stormhawk).

That's actually one of the units I'm betting on for the next wave, except that I suspect they'll go for a full Primaris version of the AdMech flyer, meaning it will be another triple build. So not only will the kit offer replacements for the Stormhawk and Stormtalon, but will also offer six-man transport capacity. Basically, it can either be an interceptor, a gunship, or a flying Impulsor.

Beyond that, I definitely think there will be a proper Stormraven equivalent, but I don't see it happening in the next wave. I'm not opposed to your idea from a narrative standpoint, but given that they JUST moved the Repulsor from Dedicated Transport to Heavy Support, I don't think they'd turn around and make it the Stormraven replacement.

Edited by Brother Tyler

That's actually one of the units I'm betting on for the next wave, except that I suspect they'll go for a full Primaris version of the AdMech flyer, meaning it will be another triple build. So not only will the kit offer replacements for the Stormhawk and Stormtalon, but will also offer six-man transport capacity. Basically, it can either be an interceptor, a gunship, or a flying Impulsor.

I don't think it's a good idea to make a fighter- which MUST be able to tightly turn, quickly accelerate and decelerate, as necessary in a dogfight- double as a transport- which MUST be wide enough to accommodate passengers and/or cargo, which will then interfere with its ability to turn and accelerate in a dogfight.

I did incorporate an idea for exoskeleton-equipped special forces operators boarding missiles, which are then launched from bombers so they may rapidly deploy onto the battlefield (based on the real-world exint pod), in a Transformers vs. GI Joe fanfic; but Space Marines can use drop pods for such deployments.

Beyond that, I definitely think there will be a proper Stormraven equivalent, but I don't see it happening in the next wave. I'm not opposed to your idea from a narrative standpoint, but given that they JUST moved the Repulsor from Dedicated Transport to Heavy Support, I don't think they'd turn around and make it the Stormraven replacement.

I meant to suggest using the Repulsor as a DROP POD replacement, as it's described as deploying directly from orbit in Black Library novels. Games Workshop should design a new transport flyer to replace the Stormraven- hopefully, one with the option of replacing the Primaris-sized passenger/cargo bay with a bomb bay, from which long-range missiles may be launched at an enemy.

I wanna see more primaris veterans units, new command squad and bodyguards like the vitrix honour guards

Agreed, with the single weapon squads gimmick it's unlikely, but I'd love to have bigmarine company vets that I could equip with a greater variety of weapons. 

I don't think it's a good idea to make a fighter- which MUST be able to tightly turn, quickly accelerate and decelerate, as necessary in a dogfight- double as a transport- which MUST be wide enough to accommodate passengers and/or cargo, which will then interfere with its ability to turn and accelerate in a dogfight.

I didn't say the fighter would double as a transport. I said the kit would be able to build both. If you have a problem with that, I again have to point out it's exactly what GW did with the Archaeopter kit.

EDIT: However, you might be right - I'm so used to the boxy look of the Primaris grav tanks that I might be assuming that a transfer of that look to their air force would be natural. Plus it would differentiate the new Primaris flyers from the previous Firstborn Stormhawk and Stormtalon. But IF they're planning to retain that sleeker look for the fighter/interceptor, then that might preclude an alternate build with six-man transport capacity. I guess it all comes down to whatever inspiration Jes drew on when he started designing the Primaris flyer.

Edited by Lord Nord

I think they may just update terminators, or say that Primaris have access to TDA. They are still adding new datasheets for Terminators, notably adding a new Deathwing Lieutenant option in the new DA supplement.

Sort of like the range refresh for Necrons. Added new stuff, but sometimes there's just some stuff that stays.

I wanna see more primaris veterans units, new command squad and bodyguards like the vitrix honour guards

I’m wondering if gravis will become veteran, but I suppose not at this point.

I don't see it with the current line, unless they make a separate veteran gravis kit. GW has decided against putting Gravis in the Dark Angels Deathwing, which I think is a good litmus test on where they see it in the range.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

(listening to rules guy interviewed after about the headache Suppressors gave them was rather funny).

Do you happen to remember which interview that was? I must have missed that one. Sounds interesting.

I remembered it as being in a two-part interview about the new Vanguard marines. The first part was Jes and the second part was the rules-writer. I thought it was the VoxCast, but I went back and checked and that's just Jes. I thought I may have confused it with a special non-VoxCast video. looked around and couldn't find one. Maybe it was on the Community site. Or I'm lost my marbles... does anyone else remember this?

(listening to rules guy interviewed after about the headache Suppressors gave them was rather funny).

Do you happen to remember which interview that was? I must have missed that one. Sounds interesting.

I remembered it as being in a two-part interview about the new Vanguard marines. The first part was Jes and the second part was the rules-writer. I thought it was the VoxCast, but I went back and checked and that's just Jes. I thought I may have confused it with a special non-VoxCast video. looked around and couldn't find one. Maybe it was on the Community site. Or I'm lost my marbles... does anyone else remember this?

I believe there was an episode of Warhammer Live on Twitch the same week the Voxcast episode came out where one or more of the Shadowspear rules writers was interviewed. You may have watched them back-to-back and incorrectly remembered them as a two-part Voxcast interview. With Wade being the interviewer for both, it would have been an easy mistake.

That was probably it. I just vividly remember him talking about the back-and-forth on the team; whether they should a fast attack unit (because antigrav jump jets) or if they should be heavy support (because big guns).

That was probably it. I just vividly remember him talking about the back-and-forth on the team; whether they should a fast attack unit (because antigrav jump jets) or if they should be heavy support (because big guns).

There's also a point in the Jes Goodwin interview where Wade makes that exact point of the designers having to debate a Fast Attack vs. Heavy Support role for the Suppressors. Are you sure you're not thinking of that?

There's also a point in the Jes Goodwin interview where Wade makes that exact point of the designers having to debate a Fast Attack vs. Heavy Support role for the Suppressors. Are you sure you're not thinking of that?

That does sound exactly like it; it was probably that.

Am I the only person hoping against hope for more upgrade sprues? Intercessor special weapon options, Assault Intercessor jump packs, Hellblaster flamers/meltas etc.? Those and Primaris Terminators (read: *exactly* the same kind we have now, but bigger) and that's the "great replacement" over and done with for the most part. I'd happily double dip on MPPKs for those sprues tbh.