What's a good 'baseline' Terminator unit?

Dragonlover

By baseline I mean 'able to be pulled in different directions by swapping out a few guys'. Kind of the tactical squad equivalent of Chaos Terminators. I figure power axes are a decent enough melee weapon, but should the combi bolters be upgraded to anything fancy?

Incidentally my concession to my 'model and play what makes you happy' mentality is at least one lightning claw on the Champion at all times. Preferably a pair. Anything that gets more lightning claws into the squad is a bonus.

Dragonlover

So claws on everyone is actually pretty viable? Truly we live in blessed times!

Cheers guys, gives me a bit of direction for the 10 Termies on sprue I've got waiting to be built.

Dragonlover

I went x7 dual claws, x3 CF/CB (tartaros), basically a HH setup that can be used in 40k also. More dreads about in 9th, so with the CF's you can grind down a dread if they try to block you in with one in melee. I got x10 magnatized cataphractii, could be anything + another five unassembled. Whatever the new CSM termi meta, I'm good.

Consider some fists/chainfists as well: claws are cool but being able to do multiple wounds a swing is vital in this day and age, particularly if you want your Terminators to actually be able to go toe to toe with elites in other armies.

EC: full squad, chainfist and bolters.

Fantastic value vs a lot of targets.

No plasma/melta because VoTW and endless are both applied to noise marines

NON-EC: plasma and claw for an all-purpose unit

Edited by Are Verlo

I think baseline termie unit is really going to depend on what the rest of your army is comprised of.

Got a lot of close combat but not that much shooting? Load them up with reapers and combi-plas as you can. Maybe stick to axes and cheaper melee alternatives.

Got a lot of shooting but not that much close combat? Load up with the lightning claws (and a few chain fists to counter whatever high wound models) and go to town.

It will really depend on your army.

Using terminators to fill in those roles I think is a solid choice however and something I do all the time. Even before this edition I was always taking terminators over chosen simply for the fact that they had better armour to handle what was coming my way. With this edition and them having more staying power on the board? I think they are really turning into a solid unit to help fill a missing aspect of a list.

Edited by Goreshed