Toyship's Legio Victorum (and maybe Vulturum? PG. 2)

ToyShip

jXKZtMf.jpg

AmbUCe4.jpg

NKV6l74.jpg

I've been working on these guys today. I ran out of motivation for Legio Magna so hear we are. I have a Reaver I will begin work on once these fellows are complete.

Trying to decide on Crusade Legio rules for them. Legio Victorum I is described in "The Horus Heresy Book 9: Crusade" as, "expert at operating in urban environments without causing ruinous collateral damage, mastering a restraint that had been alien to it in its early years when it had run rampant across the stars. Its hallmark was the employment of headhunting tactics, identifying and destroying the leaders of any foe that the remainder might quit the field and leave the battlefield intact. As such its moderati were among the foremost experts in target tracking and identification, and fearsome marksmen with volcano cannon and photon lances. Yet, with the sporadic nature of its engagements, much unlike the constant warfare endured by
the Foe Hammers at Horus' side, the Foe Slayers lacked in the tight discipline of its cousins. It was common amongst the Titan Legion for its princeps to feud and intrigue amongst themselves, most often seeking the most beneficial postings and most prestigious Titans to command, and in addition to their skills at war, many were accomplished duellists with pistol and sabre. Despite this slow descent into decadence, the Titan Legion and the Forge World that maintained it held a reputation as stalwart supporters of the Imperium, a front they worked hard to promulgate as Galatia schemed for its return to glory."

So far I am thinking:

Duty and Honor
Noble Lineage
Marked Prey (3)

Not sure what else to add, I am definitely open to suggestions.
Edited by ToyShip

This is the second Legio Victorum related thing I’ve seen in as many days, haha. Great paint job, I’m considering doing a small maniple myself just so I don’t have to paint orange or red anymore.

As far as another Legio rule, might consider ranging auspex. It’s be fluffy (as they are supposed to be great at targeting), and it would allow you to pick your best targets.

This is the second Legio Victorum related thing I’ve seen in as many days, haha. Great paint job, I’m considering doing a small maniple myself just so I don’t have to paint orange or red anymore.

As far as another Legio rule, might consider ranging auspex. It’s be fluffy (as they are supposed to be great at targeting), and it would allow you to pick your best targets.

Sounds like its a sign you should start a maniple up! The blue and hazard stripes is super easy to achieve and I think very striking. I think you are right on the rules, seems very fluffy.

Very sharp on the striping! Well done!

Thank you! Tamiya masking tape is a god send!

The Warhound Scout Titan frames are well-painted.

Thank you Bjorn!

You've got a great color scheme going there. I've got a feeling it's going to translate well across all your Titans!

Thanks schoon!

I'm getting real close on the first three titans...almost have a legal maniple!

J6EzqQu.jpg

Still need to do the bases and add some weathering powders to the lower legs, I need to finish the melta cannon (the casing needs to be blue like the Warhounds' guns) and I'm thinking of swapping out the fist for a chainfist...I really hate how the thumb looks like on the clenched fist. Also need to bring the metallics on the Apocalypse Launcher in line with the current scheme.

That will get them all to a point where I'd be happy to field them. I plan on going back in and picking out details and highlighting the metallics. Eventually.

Next is a second unassembled Reaver and I have a birthday at the end of the month with funds earmarked for more engines (Warlord and Warbringer per Victorum background methinks). Hoping the new one that was teased is out sooner than later. Don't know what it is but I know that I need it.

Thanks everyone for the comments. More to come.

These lads are looking nice. :yes: Very much like the blue and hazard stripes.

It finally happened to me. I put the feet on the wrong side. Can’t change em because I used plastic cement. Where were you when you first screwed up your Reaver’s feet?

Never screwed up a Reaver's feet, but I nearly ruined a Warlord due to a bad pose on the hips. Had to cut them at the hip sockets and rotate them about 45 degrees, else the Warlord was going to be posed falling over/looking up into the sky due to me not paying attention when I was letting the plastic glue cure.

Yeah, I've done it all lol. I've done the wrong feet on a Reaver, stuck a shin on backwards on a Warlord and got the hips all wrong on the same warlord. Luckily I stick everything together with super glue so it's fairly easy to pull apart. :D I only make the same mistake once though (famous last words).

Seeing your stuff really makes me want to invest in an Airbursh. 

These lads are looking nice. :yes: Very much like the blue and hazard stripes.

It finally happened to me. I put the feet on the wrong side. Can’t change em because I used plastic cement. Where were you when you first screwed up your Reaver’s feet?

Never screwed up a Reaver's feet, but I nearly ruined a Warlord due to a bad pose on the hips. Had to cut them at the hip sockets and rotate them about 45 degrees, else the Warlord was going to be posed falling over/looking up into the sky due to me not paying attention when I was letting the plastic glue cure.

Man that must have been terrifying! I'm going to start assembly on my Warlord tomorrow so that is definitely something I will keep an eye on!

Never messed up the feet, but a couple of times I put the wrong ankle supports in the wrong spot

I did that with the first Reaver but was able to pull them off and put them in the right places. :teehee:

Yeah, I've done it all lol. I've done the wrong feet on a Reaver, stuck a shin on backwards on a Warlord and got the hips all wrong on the same warlord. Luckily I stick everything together with super glue so it's fairly easy to pull apart. :biggrin.: I only make the same mistake once though (famous last words).

Seeing your stuff really makes me want to invest in an Airbursh. 

I'm glad that I am not the only one! The Machine god surely frowns upon us all! :sweat:

It is the best hobby related purchase I have ever made. Just being able to prime with the airbrush in any weather is worth it's weight.(I live in Florida, humidity is a nightmare for spray cans).  The smoothness of basecoats and easy layering is just cake, I can really pump out models I am happy with in short order.

SO much more to learn about using it but I try to push it a bit more with each project. 

Thanks for the comments guys!

The second Reaver awaits its base and varnish:

jDogIhi.jpg

I'm really starting to think about figuring out some transfers for these guys, especially with a Warlord and Warbringer looming on my workbench. Need some heraldry to break up all that blue. Was thinking about snagging the HH Imperial Fists sheet to use the 3d fists clenching the thunderbolts but that seems like a big waste of a sheet. Really hoping that GW will do a book with the Thramas Crusade involved, I need transfers and rules :yes: .

What Airbrush do you use?

Yeah, some Heraldry would work wonders on that!! Will you be doing any script work on the scroll? I'm using the Custode transfer sheet for my Imperial Knights and my Titans. There's a lot on there I probably wont use but oh well. You can always stuff spare transfers on Ebay? Might make a bit of your cash back.

What Airbrush do you use?

Yeah, some Heraldry would work wonders on that!! Will you be doing any script work on the scroll? I'm using the Custode transfer sheet for my Imperial Knights and my Titans. There's a lot on there I probably wont use but oh well. You can always stuff spare transfers on Ebay? Might make a bit of your cash back.

I use an Iwata Eclipse. Bought it on sale at Hobby Lobby for like $120 on sale: https://www.iwata-airbrush.com/iwata-eclipse-hp-cs.html

The compressor I got was from Amazon, gets pretty rave reviews for the price: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WGTS2K2/ref=dp_prsubs_1

The one I purchased came with an airbrush as well, I swap the needles out and experiment with using both sometimes but the IWATA is definitely better quality.

I will be doing some script work I think. I'm thinking I will get all my engines painted and ready to go then do all the heraldry/scriptwork as well as some weathering. Thinking some oil paints are in my future.

So I "finished" the second Reaver today:

VUcMbYd.jpeg

And kids went to their grandmas so I got a lot done on the Warlord. Majorly WIP but such a fun kit:

TJSLM15.jpg

Lots of trim, touch ups, and details left. I think I have decided on getting the Imperial Fists transfers, I DEFINITELY need heraldry on the Warlord. The Warbringer arrives tomorrow! Plenty to do!

I feel your pain about Titan legs. On my first Warlord, I managed to rotate the feet to an impossible angle for everything else to fit.

Also having used a "welding" plastic glue, I definitely felt sympathetic pain as I snapped the feet off at the ankle joint. I pinned everything back in place, which repaired everything except my wounded pride ;)

Thanks for the links. I think it's going to be a birthday present to my self :biggrin.:

The force is coming along nicely mate. Do you have a sort of plan army list wise? Or are you just making what's cool? I'm not sure if it's the camera angle but it looks like that Warlord is leaning over a hell of a lot. 

I *think* after the Warbringer I will be done with Victorum. That allows me to run roughly 2000pts all told I believe. I have a couple of different ways I can run the maniples to make it work. I'm thinking about starting a second, probably Traitor, force to be more experimental with modeling and painting wise. The Warlord is DEFINITELY leaning. Once it is all said and done it should look like it is leaning into a run...or a fast waddle in the case of a Warlord  :wink:. The lean was a bit more pronounced than initially planned, something to take into account on the next one.

I feel your pain about Titan legs. On my first Warlord, I managed to rotate the feet to an impossible angle for everything else to fit.

Also having used a "welding" plastic glue, I definitely felt sympathetic pain as I snapped the feet off at the ankle joint. I pinned everything back in place, which repaired everything except my wounded pride :wink:

I can feel that pain too. I just couldn't bring myself to tear it apart and start over. Ah well..