Terminators: Has anyone tried this?

BrainFireBob

I've played that loadout in 8th as red corsairs and world eaters.  It was pretty good for the points (270ish?).  I always had them start on the table since they were an effective shooting unit and also cheap enough per model to not be terrible to lose.  As world eaters they were not a bully unit but a proper close combat unit due to all the possible stratagems to buff up their damage output.   I think they will better in 9th when going to 3w.  Loyalist marine terminators are 35ish points each with stormbolter/powerfist so I would expect chaos terminators to be around 27-30 points with stormbolter/chainaxe.  At that price point the math looks good for a mid field chaff cleaner/combat unit that will dominate primaris troops in the fight phase.  Not much can be said beyond this until chaos marines get a codex.  I would assume that chaos marines will lose double shoot and double fight but gain a lot of fluffy utility stratagems.  So I wouldn't buy or build any of these models with specific tactics in mind since  a lot is likely to change.  The death guard codex should give us a hint of the kinds of changes to expect. 

TLDR:  wait for the codex

New points has killed this, there's literally no reason to take chain-axes now terminators can't drop below 28ppm.

Indeed, they might have messed up there, with a chain axe costing the same as a power weapon/Lightning claw, right? On the other hand, Terminators can now take a Reaper Chaincannon. Gotta love copy/paste errors. 

Edited by Xenith

Where are the new points at? I’m pretty out of the loop but don’t see any new faqs for CSM. Haven’t played a game since the 8th.

The "munitorium' or whatever it's called has all the points.

Termis are 28 base and other than fists and chain fists all melee weapons are 0

Thanks, been out of the loop for about a year, and I'm finding a lot of the new system very convoluted. Very strange to have most basic melee weapons zero points. I bet there's a lot of weirdness in that book.

Thanks, been out of the loop for about a year, and I'm finding a lot of the new system very convoluted. Very strange to have most basic melee weapons zero points. I bet there's a lot of weirdness in that book.

Its not convoluted, its more a return to the old system where you only bought upgrades and way more straight forwards than 8th. There's a little more confusion than there should be with stuff like some guard vehicles but the basic rule is that if you don't see the cost for something its free.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

Where are the new points at? I’m pretty out of the loop but don’t see any new faqs for CSM. Haven’t played a game since the 8th.

Huh really? What's the point of Chainaxes now then? 

Edited by Jings

Providing variety in power axe appearance just like they were between 2nd ed and 8th ed. There are chainaxes in the blightlord kit that just have the same rules as the other shapes of bubotic axe so there's no reason to think the undivided ones shouldn't work similar.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

Providing variety in power axe appearance just like they were between 2nd ed and 8th ed. There are chainaxes in the blightlord kit that just have the same rules as the other shapes of bubotic axe so there's no reason to think the undivided ones shouldn't work similar.

I dunno, I'd be quite happy if they reduced the base cost of Terms another 3-4 points and let us have a budget terminator option myself, but I'm an animal. At least now my Combi-whateveriwant/power sword terminators don't feel as stupid now haha.

Look at it this way with the new FAQ points-

SM relic terminator- 34 points 

Wolfguard termi's- 33 points (good comparison w/ CSM, similar loadouts)

Deathwing termi- 33 points

CSM termi- 28 points (went up +5 pts, so all the melee options excluding fists are baked in. Big win is the free combi bolter, the free second LC if going dual claws)

Keep in mind CSM are getting bumped up by +1 wound with our new codex whenever it ends up releasing. So I think our termi's will be at least 33 points base, we won't be getting 3W termi's for 28 points base thats for sure. 

In general I think terminators with more expensive gear got slightly cheaper if I understood the FAQ correctly. Pls correct me i I am wrong. I still have to get into that baked in weapons cost thing.. So dual claw and plasma and claw looks quite good to me.

I think it's weird that the chain axe is "free" and therefore the same points as power weapons. Was it so overpowered to make our terminators cheaper with that? I ran a couple of termies with plasma and Chainaxes recently against Deathwing with new inner circle rules backed up by apothecary and chaplain and I could not put a dent in them with especially chain axes.

But in general even with plasma beeing able to wound a 90% army on 4s, have a feel no pain, storm shields and where one or two models come back next turn was not fun at all.

Edited by Maschinenpriester

It was 27 ppm before this, mind.

1 point increase, and power weapons are now free

Loyalist and Chaos Terminators are 23 points base in the 9th ed Munitorum Field Manual so its 5 point increase, power weapon and combi-bolter included. Chaos terminators had a premium cost in 8th ed but that's not been true for 9th.