Ophidium Revenge - Dangerman's Black Templars

Dangerman

Ever since I started in this great hobby back in 2001, I have been painting and collecting Black Templars. I had a group of friends at school all collect 40k and in choosing which chapter to collect, paint and battle I settled on the Black Templars. It is now two decades of crusading later and I am still faithful to the zealous soldiers in black.

Last year I got back into the hobby by finishing a project I started a long time ago, a Tallarn themed Imperial Guard force (you can find that plog here). That project has almost come to an end and while waiting for some final parts to arrive for a conversion, I've decided to update and finish painting my Black Templars.

My existing (non primaris) force comprised of:

High Marshal Helbrecht

The Reclusiarch, Chaplain Grimaldus

Emperors Champion (single handed sword model)

Chaplains - bike, jetpack, standard

Marshal in terminator Armour

Command squad

Terminator Assault squad

Terminator squad

Dreadnought

Sword Brethren squad

2x Assault Crusader squads (10 Int, 5 Neo)

3x Bolter Crusader squads (10 Int +SW)

2x Assault squads (5 Int)

Bike squad (9x bikes 1x attack bike)

2x Land speeder typhoons

2x Land speeder (MM)

2x Land Raider Crusaders

2x Vindicators

2x Predator Annihilators

Drop Pod

2x Razorbacks (can be Rhinos)

2x Rhinos

Almost 4,500 points pre-rubicon Marines. Now comes to the post-rubicon edition of 40k. When I first saw the new lines of Primaris models I was excited but annoyed at the same time. Excited because they looked really cool and aesthetically proportional, but as you can see in the above list there I have about 80 standard marine models. Not to mention Helbrecht, Grimaldus and the Emperors Champ are all in that scale. I got my first Intercessors and they do look so much better, but I have 80 odd pre-rubicon marines that now look out of place proportionally.

Nevertheless, I carried on and with the introduction of Assault Intercessors in Indomitus, I knew what I had to do. With the models in Conquest magazine issues, scoring models out of Indomitus box splits, and some Christmas gifts I now have the following to update my black clad brethren.

10x Assault intercessors

9x Intercessors

9x Rievers

10x Incursors

4x Inceptors

Repulsor with BRRRT

Chaplain Tarentus

Judiciar (not for long)

Primaris Chaplain <+++REDACTED+++>

Over in the Sons of Dorn Expansion VII painting vow, I have vowed to finish the Intercessors, Incursors, Primaris Chaplian and the "Judiciar". Speaking of the "Judiciar", here it is completed...

gallery_46568_16818_155729.jpg

gallery_46568_16818_4694.jpg

The Emperors Champion of this crusade (haven't settled on a name yet) has passed the rubicon and is out to serve heretics with some knightly justice. The sword is a combo of the Judiciar sword and one from the Black templar upgrade sprue. The Maltese cross hilt is from the same sword, carefully cut off. The Shield is from the old forge world upgrade kit. I took inspiration from the existing Emperors Champion model with the leaf crown and other small details. See if you can spot them. This was the first time using the GW method in edge highlighting and I'm probably going to hit them with a watered down black wash. I did that on the front leg and it knocked the highlights back a shade that works a lot better.

No Pity! No Remorse! No Fear!

Edited by Dangerman

Looks good.  Get some agrax earthshade on all those "parchment" bits like the purity seals, and the drapery bit on his back. Reikland Fleshshade all over the gold bits.

Thanks for the tip! I'll put some Agrax on the parchments once I've written on them. I have used Seraphim Sepia on the gold parts, but I used a different light to take the pics and it is a lot brighter than my usual setup. Once I get my spray/photo booth set up again I'll take another series of pictures and post here.

Set up the photo booth and have some updates. I used the Agrax on the parchments and they have come up nicely (h/t 9x19 Parabellum). Here is the Primaris Emperors Champion that I converted from a Judiciar model. I saw this conversion done by pete_the_war_gamer over on Reddit and was inspired to do my own take. Since these are the knightly warriors who excel at close combat and swordsmanship, replacing the hour-glass fist with a shield added to the knightly aesthetic. Only thing left is to add the Maltese cross. The last picture shows the size comparison with it's normal marine brethren.

gallery_46568_16818_2764.jpg gallery_46568_16818_22021.jpg

gallery_46568_16818_44214.jpg gallery_46568_16818_37317.jpg

Next up are a squad of 9 Rievers that I collected in the Conquest magazine series. Rather than add the Fenrisian Grey highlight I just used Dark Reaper and it comes off a lot better.

gallery_46568_16818_74630.jpg

gallery_46568_16818_17017.jpg

Next is a project that I had been itching to do since the Primaris Marines came out. With the release of the Indomitus boxed set and the Primaris Chaplain pointing their Artificier Crozius up to the left, it looked too similar to the pose GW has Grimaldus in so...

gallery_46568_16818_110040.jpg gallery_46568_16818_20205.jpg

VERY very carefully with sharp exact blades I carefully removed all the external resin components that make up the Grimaldus character. It wasn't without blood and sweat, but I managed to take off all the unique components that make it a Grimaldus model. This took four nights of careful work. I carried over the sword, candles and chained book onto the backpack. The tabards with the templar roundels were added, one I added with Greenstuff and another is slightly modified. Chained Crozius and plasma pistol with holster were retained as well. Some areas will require some liquid green stuff and putty to smooth the transition before it's undercoated and painted.

gallery_46568_16818_46552.jpg gallery_46568_16818_91515.jpg

Here is a size comparison with the OG model.

gallery_46568_16818_7744.jpg

Grimaldus is strong enough to pass through the Rubicon.

Edited by Dangerman

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finished a few more squads off for the Sons of Dorn Expansion VII painting vow. Squad of Intercessors and a Squad of Incursors. The Incursors being sneaky infiltrating soldiers with augmented Occulus bolt carbines needed that extra bit of sneakiness. So I added suppressors to each bolt carbine. I also started to use a Tamiya clear red gloss paint for the lenses and visors. It's a quick and easy way to paint these without having to do the three colour shades with a white highlight. I have a clear red, green and blue in my paints now and it has made making screens, lenses and visors easy to paint with the same effect.

gallery_46568_16818_53626.jpg

gallery_46568_16818_30734.jpg

gallery_46568_16818_11315.jpg

----------------------------------------------

I posted this over on the painting event, but it's more at home here:

If there was one character with the strength and pure grit and determination who can pass the Rubicon it is Grimaldus.

He was supposed to die on that infernal planet, be consumed by the Temple of the Emperor Ascendant in Helsreach, but he wasn't. When Helsreach did not consume him, the Mannheim Gap threatened to close in upon him and his Celestial Lion brethren, consuming them in the depths of Armageddon. But it did not. He endures as Reculisarch of the Black Templars, A Hero among many on Helsreach. A demonstration of the pure determination and the strength of the Emperors will across the galaxy. Where the threats of Chaos and Xenos diminish the Emperors light, his skilled knights in black crusade to rid the galaxy of all heretics. No Pity! No Remorse! No Fear!

gallery_46568_16818_72.jpg

gallery_46568_16818_105567.jpg

gallery_46568_16818_47147.jpg

I'm likely to go back over the white cross on the crozius as I am not happy with it's depth and definition after looking at for a day.

Edited by Dangerman

I'm here happy that I got one mini done, and here you are churning out all sorts of stuff!

One mini is better than none! Keep at it, a journey of a thousand steps needs that first step. I know it can be a slog and I did have doubts after I finished the Rievers (had Incursors, Intercessors & Grimmy to do. Grimmy needed greenstuff work too).

You've given me some introspection about this, it's something we all feel, so below is some advice for anyone who also experiences the valley of painting(/modelling) despair.

----------------------------------------------

What I found worked was not to do what I was doing and batch paint colours. I used to paint all the white, then brown, metals etc. on every model. I'd get to a few nights in and still see 10 unfinished minis. It was demoralising. With the Incursors I changed tactics and decided to try and finish 2 models a night. What I found was by night three, instead of seeing 10 unfinished minis I saw 6 finished and 4 unfinished, the finish line seemed within reach, and the whole experience was way more positive. Also with limiting to two models a night I could relax.

I am a structural person, I like seeing things as a part of a wider project plan so I know what to expect. I approach my models in these phases Undercoat > Layer > Drybrush > Shade > Highlight/drybrush. So I know what has to be done for each model to paint, and can clearly define my progress and achievement eg "Great, I've undercoated everything, and done the layering and dry brushing on two models". Keeping that positive mindset, no matter how hard that feels, is vital to avoiding the valley of painting despair.

With units of multiple models I chose not go full 'eavy metal painting style. KISS, keep it simple. You'll note I have been minimal in edge highlights and shading on the Incursors, Intercessors and Rievers. GW Shades are amazing, I have Agrax (parchments), Nulin (silver metals & greys) and Sepia (golden metals), and they make things look so much better. It was only for the hero pieces I'd invest more time, I am probably going to put in a few more nights on Grimaldus to make certain areas better. The Primaris Emperors Champion was a full 5 nights of work, the same as all the Incursors.

The other thing I have been doing to help keep me motivated is to find shortcuts to painting technical or time consuming parts. As anyone knows painting Templars painting white on black is a PITA (Ceramite white base is awful). What I used to do was keep the shoulder pauldrons off the model and spray them white when I do the rest of the parts black. It's far easier to get a fine brush and paint red, black or white on the border than to do several coats of white. If the pauldron was attached to the arm I first do a the black undercoat, paying attention to not put too much on the pauldron, then once dried, mask the arm portion with tape, and spray the exposed cauldron. All the models above have this technique done to them (except the Primaris EC).

Another tip is one I've mentioned earlier, using Tamiya clear coloured gloss paints. I'm looking at the lenses now on the Incursors and it looks like I have done the three shades of colour with a white corner highlight. If you're looking to minimise the slog of painting, this is a great shortcut. It works for any surface where there should be a glass. I have done this on some computer screens for my Tallarn. Tamiya clear gloss is an acrylic so it's fine on GW paints.

Last tip I'd give is, if you have the ability to, invest in an entry level airbrush. I have a dual action airbrush with compressor that cost me about A$150. It does the job of undercoating and layering paints. It's not a full detail airbrush so it does the job well. GW now has air paints so the colours will match. It's a literal pour and spray, no mixing needed. I have a Tallarn project log over on the AM forum here. I used the airbrush to layer the Karak Stone and Tallarn Sand on all the troops and fixed any overspray with a quick brush. With GW also having a white scar airbrush paint I'm not having to buy a A$30 can for just the pauldrons on my templars!

Speaking of shortcuts and pauldrons again; The sword brethren cauldron in the Assault Intercessor leader I sprayed the white undercoat, painted the entire pad red, traced over a GW transfer, made a tape mask of that trace, placed it on the red pauldron, and sprayed black over it all. Remove the mask and you have a crisp red cross on a black shoulder pad. the entire process took less than 30min!

Sum it all up

• Find a project management method that works for you. I'm structural so I approach paining in this way: Undercoat > Layer > Drybrush > Shade > Highlight/drybrush
  • The above method keeps you aware of what you've done to congratulate yourself for, and what needs to be done. Focus on the positives. Smaller bites are better than massive ones.
  • I use sprays as much as possible to get the base colours, investing in an airbrush has been a godsend with GWs line of air paints.
  • Undercoat all in one go, sometimes it is easier to keep models on the sprue and paint the connection points after cutting & assembly. I get a far better coverage.
  • When it comes to details on troops I don't put too much effort in and try to finish 2 models a night of a squad.
  • Hero pieces I put more attention into details, highlights etc.
  • Find ways to shortcut detailed painting eg use acrylic clear gloss paints to do lenses, screens; masking & spraying etc.
  • Urban camo looks cool, but seriously horrendous to paint. Don't be fooled by the cool! (I have a Tau army collecting dust for this very reason)

These are some of the motivation and painting tips I've pick up over 20 years in the hobby. I found the first templars I've painted and by-and-far the biggest improvement has been in spraying as much as possible, shade washes, and KISS. Also to be kinder to yourself. Start with that single step, even if it's just undercoating, you've done something! Now onto the next step, the others will come too, don't try and take too many at once, or you will trip over.

Edited by Dangerman

I am right there with you on the finishing 1 or 2 minis a night. I was painting a guardian squad by batch painting, and it was a nightmare. I then painted a crusader squad (penance) one guy at a time. It was a way better experience, and I felt a lot more accomplishment watching the squad grow!

I also find it interesting you use sepia for golds. I have been using flesh shade for it.

I am right there with you on the finishing 1 or 2 minis a night. I was painting a guardian squad by batch painting, and it was a nightmare. I then painted a crusader squad (penance) one guy at a time. It was a way better experience, and I felt a lot more accomplishment watching the squad grow!

I also find it interesting you use sepia for golds. I have been using flesh shade for it.

Great to hear you had the same experience. It's actually made painting fun again since I have that system in place. Did it with my Tallarn, otherwise the 100 guardsmen would have consumed me! 

I find the Retributor Armour gold I use quite brown-orange compared to the other golds that are more yellow, so Sepia seems to fit that brown-orange tone. All the gold on Grimaldus is shaded with Sepia, some parts have a faint Liberator Gold highlight on top of those two colours.

• 3 months later...

Trust in the Emperor at the hour of battle.

Trust to Him to intercede, and protect His warriors true as they deal death on alien soil.

Turn their seas to red with the blood of their slain.

Crush their hopes, their dreams and turn their songs into cries of lamentation.

Uphold the honour of the Emperor! No better way to do that with a squad of Bladeguard Veterans making a hole within the xenos and heretical scum so our champion can say their wretched one.

Lots of fun making these Bladeguard Vets, and decided to model them with poses matching their role as the Emperors Champion personal body guard. Saw some bladeguard vets on Reddit with white helmets and decided to give it a go. I think they came off quite well.

gallery_46568_16818_101541.jpg

gallery_46568_16818_125008.jpg

Used a bit of GWs blood for the blood god technical paint on the end of the sword below as he's just slid it out of a slain foe.

gallery_46568_16818_128025.jpg

gallery_46568_16818_111351.jpg

Lastly the boys in their squad. "Brother Champion Elrich, their champion is there. Slay that heretical scum. For the Emperor!"

gallery_46568_16818_102644.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

For a faction that has more faith and zeal than any other, what better way to deliver that faith and zeal than by a warhorse of the 41st millennium! I recently purchased a Primaris Chaplain on Bike because fast delivery of the emperors will is where it is at. Before I get to that, I've been in the hobby since 2000, and one of my early purchases after getting the standard HQ & two troops was the metal Chaplain on Bike, the original express deliverer of faith.

gallery_46568_16818_159384.jpg

That's where I was about two decades ago (god that makes me feel old!), but now with shades, layers, drybrushing and youtube, here is the upgraded version.

gallery_46568_16818_125249.jpg

NO PITY

gallery_46568_16818_24372.jpg

NO REMORSE

gallery_46568_16818_85468.jpg

NO FEAR!

gallery_46568_16818_91482.jpg

• 2 months later...

In anticipation of the Launch box coming this weekend, I have been working on finishing some BT backlog. First off the shelf is a squad of three outriders. Managed to get some 3d printed shoulder crosses off Pop goes the Monkey store and also managed to acquire a heap of the old BT upgrade sprues. Facebook market place Warhammer buy and swap pages are excellent, ended up with 7 upgrade boxes in BT lots!

With all the extra bits I could bling up the outriders with all the iconography!

gallery_46568_16818_58774.jpg

gallery_46568_16818_65579.jpg

gallery_46568_16818_10485.jpg

As for the title change to Ophidium Revenge.... have to wait and see :wink: