Dos' Underhive Dive: Enforcers bore me, help requested [25/08]

Dosjetka

Archived. Current project further down.

Spoiler

Hello all,

I'm planning on doing quite a bit of Necromunda work over the next few weeks/month/year so starting a thread to cram all my stuff into seems appropriate.

My main focus for this year will be to paint two gangs, learn how to play, and get a few friends into Necromunda. Bonus items are painting Necromunda-themed terrain, more gangs, and organising a campaign. This is all time, energy, and pandemic-permitting.

The two gangs I've started assembling are a Chaos Helot Cult gang and an Enforcer Patrol gang.

gallery_45765_14340_346947.jpg

The former made up exclusively of Blackstone Fortress models at this point and represents the core members of the cult (though not all have been assembled yet). The basic idea is to have a cult based around a traitor Commissar and a few surviving traitor Guard mixed with some more "cult-y" models. There's very little conversion work (if any) just because the models are so great as they are. :thumbsup:

The initial 1000-credit list I've come up with and shall be running can be found in the tab below.

Hidden Content
Dos' Chaos Helot Cult
Name Type Equipment Skills Cost Status
Cult Demagogue Leader Maul, stub gun w/dum-dum rounds, mesh armour Overseer 135 On sprue
Cult Disciple Champion Reclaimed autopistol, heavy stubber, mesh armour Unstoppable 210 On sprue
Cult Disciple Champion Chainsword, autopistol, mesh armour Nerves of Steel 105 On sprue
Cult Witch N/A Reclaimed autopistol, mesh armour Dark Shield 90 Assembled
Helot Cultist Ganger Maul, reclaimed autopistol, flak armour N/A 60 Assembled
Helot Cultist Ganger Axe, laspistol, flak armour N/A 65 Assembled
Helot Cultist Ganger Lasgun, flak armour N/A 60 Assembled
Helot Cultist Ganger Grenade launcher, reclaimed autopistol N/A 95 On sprue
Helot Cultist Ganger Reclaimed autogun N/A 45 Assembled
Helot Cultist Ganger Reclaimed autogun N/A 45 On sprue

gallery_45765_14340_125749.jpg

The latter gang uses the Palatine Enforcer kit for the most part, with a few extra bits and pieces (namely heads) thrown in for good measure to add character. Rest assured that their helmets have been clipped to their belts. :wink: I've also decided to equip almost exclusively with short-ranged firearms (i.e. no boltguns) as shotguns and pistols are cool and I'd like to see how they perform. The sole exception to this is the sniper sergeant who managed to get away with having a long-ranged rifle due to the Got Your Six rule being evocative and cool.

Presently, I'm missing a few more heads and bodies, but they should arrive within the next couple of weeks and then I'll be able to complete the initial eight members of this patrol.

As with the cult above, the 1000-credit Enforcer list can be found below.

Hidden Content
Dos' Enforcer Patrol
Name Type Equipment Skills Cost Status
Palanite Captain Leader Enforcer shotgun, shock stave, stub gun, flak armour, armoured undersuit, magnacles Team Work 225 On sprue
Palanite Sergeant Champion Shock stave, stub gun (w/ dumdum rounds), flak armour, armoured undersuit, magnacles Restraint Protocols 130 Assembled
Palanite Sergeant Champion Stub gun, sniper rifle, flak armour, armoured undersuit, magnacles Got Your Six 135 Assembled
Palanite Patrolman Ganger Stub gun (w/ dumdum rounds), flak armour, armoured undersuit, photo-lumens, magnacles N/A 90 Assembled
Palanite Patrolman Ganger Stub gun (w/dumdum rounds), flak armour, armoured undersuit, magnacles N/A 75 Partially assembled
Palanite Patrolman Ganger Two stub guns (both w/dumdum rounds), flak armour, armoured undersuit, magnacles N/A 85 On sprue
Palanite Patrolman Ganger Enforcer shotgun, stub gun, flak armour, armoured undersuit, magnacles N/A 130 Assembled
Palanite Patrolman Ganger Enforcer shotgun, stub gun, flak armour, armoured undersuit, magnacles N/A 130 On sprue

Anyway, that's it for me for now; back soon with more. Thank you for reading! :smile.:

Edited by Dosjetka
Updated title.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived. Current project below.

Hidden Content

Looking forward to this mate can’t wait to see what you come up with.

The Blackstone Fortress models really are top-notch. I'm excited to see how this year of hobby shapes up for you and this project!

Thank you both and apologies for the late reply: I'd forgotten I'd made this thread. :sweat:

Since my initial post, I've managed to complete all the models I needed for the 1000-credit list I posted further up.

gallery_45765_14340_19423.png

But having played my two first games (both vs Goliaths), I've made some radical changes to my list. :laugh.: I'll be assembling a couple of new models (Subjugators) and re-doing a couple of the ones you see above tomorrow, so expect an update then. :smile.:

In other news, I'll be starting a Dominion campaign with two mates on Friday: one of the players has the aforementioned Goliaths while the other will borrow my Chaos Helot Cult for now. I'll make the effort to post updates in this thread. :thumbsup:

Edited by Dosjetka

• 1 month later...

Haven't been very diligent in reporting my Necromunda adventures over the past month. :pinch:

I've been lucky enough to get some games in and now, four friends and myself are ready to launch a Dominion campaign later this month. With that in mind, I've been busy gathering the necessary bits and pieces for my Escher gang, the Caustic Claws. They are now ready for paint. :)

gallery_45765_14340_486533.png

The other gangs will be Van Saar, Delaque, Cawdor, and a Chaos Helot Cult so there'll be a nice bit of variety. I'm very much looking forward to it!

And here we go: the first member of the (in)famous Caustic Claws is now painted. :)

gallery_45765_14340_109664.png

gallery_45765_14340_400271.png

Pretty happy with the end result! Took a couple of tries but I got to a stage I'm happy with and can replicate across the eight other models with relative ease. :tu:

Next up, the dual autopistol wielding Juve known as "Wildfire". :devil:

I'm really liking the colour scheme you've gone for - big fan of the purple and green. The green especially lives up to the caustic name. The black is nicely done too. It's simple but effective and you've added some nice details like the worn leather on the strap, the scarring around the bionics and the kill markings.

One thing you might want to consider, but purely optional, is to wash over the tattoos with a bit of the base skin colour thinned down a lot. It has to be really thinned down so you still see the tattoo fairly clearly colour through it after it dries.

It could just be the photo, but the tattoos do have a bit of a painted on look (surprise, surprise when they are painted :rolleyes: ). Going over them once or twice with really thinned down skin colour can help them blend back into the skin and make them look more like a natural tattoo (where the ink is under something like 3-5 layers of skin).

In any case, good job. I look forward to seeing the rest of the gang.

I appreciate the comment and feedback, Widowmaker. :tu:

The tattoos were painted with a mix of black/red and the skine tone I used. I thought it would be enough but after reading your suggestion, I went back to have another look and ended up going back over them with a very diluted layer of skin tone and I think the result looks less painted on now. :)

I'm already working on the next member of the Caustic Claws; pictures soon!

The iron has been struck so hard it might have caused some back pain... :sweat:

Anyway, I give you Spike, one of the two Champions:

gallery_45765_14340_170182.png

gallery_45765_14340_153336.png

gallery_45765_14340_475686.png

Apologies for the poorer picture quality: no more natural light at time of writing/taking those pictures. :(

3/9 done! Feels great. :D

The tattoos were painted with a mix of black/red and the skine tone I used. I thought it would be enough but after reading your suggestion, I went back to have another look and ended up going back over them with a very diluted layer of skin tone and I think the result looks less painted on now. :smile.:

Glad I could be of some help!

Enjoying the progress so far. Hope you can keep it up. You're putting my slow progress to shame!

• 8 months later...

Famous last words! :laugh.:

I haven't progressed with painting since March but my interest for Necromunda was rekindled recently and I managed to play a 1100-credit point game against @The Observer and his Delaque a couple of weeks ago. The highlight of the game, for me, was when his Leader infiltrated close to my Gang Queen, ready to cut her to pieces in the next turn... only to be felled by a plasma shot to the face before they could do anything! What they deserve if you ask me... :devil:

Anyway, if all goes to plan, I'll have another Necromunda game mid-December against @The Observer and a mutual friend of ours (and their Cawdor gang) but this time at using 1750-credit gangs. Because of this, I need to get my Caustic Claws (with a few extras) painted and ready to rumble, therefore you can expect some picture updates soon. :smile.: I'd post my full list here but... well, there's things that lurk in the shadows that might ruin the couple of tricks I have planned, so I'll keep my gang roster secret for now... :ph34r:

Thank you for reading and see you again soon. :wink:

Edited by Dosjetka

• 1 month later...

At long last, on the last eve of 2021, some progress!

gallery_45765_14340_264879.jpg

I need these ladies ready for a game on Tuesday evening: the clock is ticking! :D

And while I'm at it, I wish you a happy New Year and hope that you stay healthy and happy throughout. :tu:

• 3 weeks later...

Some painting progress has been made but nothing picture-worthy just yet.

I have however played a couple of gangs with the latest (and final) line-up for my Escher gang, that I have also renamed: the Lazer Lynx. You can find the gang's composition here on YakTribe. Note: for Skirmish games I usually drop Wildfire and then pick between Spike or Rocket as the Champion (asking my opponent if they mind me going 5 creds over the usual 1000-cred limit).

The game I played today was against an Enforcer gang and we had quite a bit of fun setting up the table we would use. Here's the end result, before deployment:

gallery_45765_14340_379545.jpg

We picked the Manufactorum Raid scenario from the Book of Peril and therefore decided to set the table up in an appropriate fashion with as much industrial-looking terrain that we could find in the club terrain stash.

The game lasted about six rounds during which my Escher swarmed the infiltrated Enforcer Subjugator Sergeant (who tanked four rounds of shooting/combat!) before moving to engage the rest of the gang that was hanging back to defend their precious machinery. Unfortunately, the dice gods did not smile upon the unpainted Enforcers and a few bad rolls translated into there only being a single Enforcer Subjugator Sergeant left at the end of round six, thus handing the victory to the Lazer Lynx.

The only decent (and yet still a bit blurry!) post-deployment picture of part of the Escher gang which shows some of the painting progress:

gallery_45765_14340_61825.jpg

Now that I have a solid core, the ladies are doing well in their games so far. I do however feel like they might be a bit too good against new(er) local players that have shown interest in the game recently. With that in mind I'll create a tamer gang, Drydock's Daughters, for intro games and such. You can find their planned composition here on YakTribe.

Thank you for reading and I hope to be back soon with pictures of completed models. :tu:

It's just over two weeks until our next campaign starts so I've been getting a move on with my second Escher gang. During a nice three-hour long hangout and hobby session with @Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch, I assembled these ladies:

gallery_45765_14340_104491.jpg

In the centre is the Leader/Queen and flanking her are four Gangers/Sisters. I deleted my previous gang list for these after deciding I would just assemble what seemed cool/fun on the spot and I ended up really enjoying the process. :) i'm also a big fan of the Escher Weapons & Upgrades kits: the extra heads and hairdos especially do it for me. :tu:

Anyway, that's it for now but more to come soon!

Thank you for reading. :D

Progress: my second Escher gang is now fully-assembled for its 1000-credit line up.

gallery_45765_14340_217920.jpg

Swapped the Leader's hand flamer out for a needle pistol and decided to equip the two Champion with chem weapons, too. I haven't really explored that side of the Escher yet so I'm looking forward to it! :devil:

While I had my bits out and after browsing House of Blades, I decided to build a House Agent:

gallery_45765_14340_34102.jpg

Pretty happy with her loadout and how she looks. Just need to find a striking colour scheme that will differentiate her well from the other two gangs.

Thank you for reading/having a look, I should be back soon with picture of models with paint on them. :)

Lots of great work! The B&W photography for unfinished models is a great idea as it really helps see the models for what they are/will be without the usual distractions that comes with unfinished models, colourful backgrounds etc. - I do believe I will have to steal that idea for my own work :D

• 1 month later...

Time for an update I think!

The campaign I mentioned earlier in this thread started a couple of weeks ago and we are currently in the 2nd campaign cycle of this Outlander campaign. There's a solid 10 players involved with a fairly reasonable spread of gangs:

• 3 Enforcer gangs
  • 2 Orlock gangs
  • 2 Cawdor gangs (1 of which is actually a Grot gang)
  • 1 Outcast gang
  • 1 Van Saar gang
  • 1 Escher gang (mine!)

I ended up using my Lazer Lynx in the campaign instead of the Drydock's Daughters simply because the Lazer Lynx had paint on them. Speaking of, this is the current state of my gang:

gallery_45765_14340_226199.jpg

As you can see if you've seen my earlier update, I've made a fair amount of progress since December: not as much as I'd have liked but some progress is better than none!

To go into a bit more detail, I have:

• Completed one of my Champions, Rocket (front, second from the left)
  • Touched up the chem-synths on previously completed fighters (added a blue glow and gave the cable a brighter shade of yellow)
  • Given all my fighters their basecoats (except for the Rogue Doc who was added to my gang last night)
  • Made some serious painting progress on my Leader, Regina (front & centre), and the other Champion, Blaze (front, second from the right)

While the gang isn't completed in terms of painting, I'm really chuffed with the progress so far and am motivated to continue along this path of frequent painting sessions. :smile.:

In terms of campaign involvement, the Lazer Lynx fought against an Enforcer gang in their first game: the scenario played was Scavenge (Book of Ruin, p.66) and saw the Escher lose the scenario but inflict heavy losses onto the Enforcers (4 OOA, including 1 Memorable Death and 2 Critical Injuries which would have been deaths if I hadn't stepped in as co-Arbitrator to stay Death's scythe and instead inflict Lasting Injuries onto them) while taking little damage in return (only 1 OOA on Flare, a Ganger, which ended up being a Lasting Injury).

Here's a view of one of the two "hotspots" of the battle, where the Enforcers tried to stop my Escher from getting the yellow casket on the right:

gallery_45765_14340_65930.jpg

Regina, my Leader, ended up taking a couple of Enforcers OOA and Flare managed to get to the casket and open it. Unfortunately, it was worth no creds and Flare promptly got taken OOA by an Enforcer shotgun!

Their next game saw them confront the first of the two Orlock gangs in a Takeover scenario (Book of Ruin, p.70). Since we had both already played a game in the first campaign cycle, we didn't get any Credits or Settlement Materials for this mission, but XP, Injuries, and Reputation were still awarded. Once again, the Lazer Lynx inflicted heavy losses onto their opponents (5 OOA, including 1 Memorable Death and 2 Critical Injuries which would have been deaths if I hadn't stepped in as co-Arbitrator to stay Death's scythe and instead inflict Lasting Injuries on them) while taking little damage in return (1 OOA which ended up being an Out Cold result).

Here's a view of what the Orlock Champion with heavy bolter could see at the start of the first turn...

gallery_45765_14340_60857.jpg

...nothing: my Escher were all deployed in the top left corner out of sight! The poor Champ ended up not firing a single shot because of intervening terrain and some crafty movement/model placement. Not having a suspensor also really didn't help.

In my first game of the 2nd campaign cycle which took place last night, my Lazer Lynx faced the second Orlock gang in the Escape the Pit! scenario (Main Rulebook, p.162). Quickly clamering up to positions where they had line of sight on most of their opponents, the Lazer Lynx managed to dominate the game and 5 out of 6 fighters managed to escape the pit with loot caskets whereas the outranged and outgunned Orlocks only managed to get one of their fighters out. Despite the this, the Lazer Lynx had a close brush with Death when Blaze, a Champion, got Critically Injured by the Orlock Road Captain's boltgun after being a bit too bold and getting a bit too close for comfort. Thankfully, the 5 loot caskets meant the Lazer Lynx now finally had some Credits to do something with and managed to save their now-Hobbled and Recovring Blaze.

Here's a snapshot of the early game where we see the Lazer Lynx making their way onto the rooftops with their final objective in sight!

gallery_45765_14340_68728.jpg

My 2nd game of this cycle will be against the Outcast gang led by Lady Credo herself: I'm excited to see how it goes down!

Anyway, thank you for getting this far in my wall of text! I'll strive to post more frequent updates and continue to include relevant pictures of my progress and of the campaign. :smile.:

Edited by Dosjetka

Thanks for the battle summaries - very interesting.  Seems like your eschers are on their way to the top!

Love your paint scheme - you've pulled off that difficult balance of having it both look like a cohesive gang while each model also being their own individual.  Do you intend to paint your doc in the same way or to not carry the gang green over to the same extent to show that she isn't a member in the same way the others are?

Thanks for the battle summaries - very interesting.  Seems like your eschers are on their way to the top!

Love your paint scheme - you've pulled off that difficult balance of having it both look like a cohesive gang while each model also being their own individual.  Do you intend to paint your doc in the same way or to not carry the gang green over to the same extent to show that she isn't a member in the same way the others are?

I appreciate the comment and kind words, Dr_R! :)

The Escher have indeed done rather well for themselves. I'll see about posting a 2-3 more battle summaries over the weekend or next week since folks seem to enjoy them.

The Rogue Doc will likely have a "standalone" paint scheme with perhaps one or two elements to tie her in with the Lazer Lynx in particular. :tu:

Now, I've been fairly busy recently but have managed to get a couple of games and some hobby time in where I can manage it. I'll post the battle summaries over the weekend or next week: for now, here are some pictures of models I've completed recently.

First off we have Match, an Escher Ganger with two laspistols.

gallery_45765_14340_9148.jpg

Next we have Photon, an Escher Ganger with a laspistol and photon flash grenades.

gallery_45765_14340_79113.jpg

After that we have Shock, a Ganger with shock whip and laspistol.

gallery_45765_14340_5369.jpg

Joining the human members we have Chew and Gnaw, two Phyrr Cats.

gallery_45765_14340_53471.jpg

Going back to humans there's Remedy, an Apprentice Clan Chymist (inspired by Chris Peach's conversion here).

gallery_45765_14340_39964.jpg

And last but not least, my favourite of this bunch, we have Bullet, an Ammo-Jack.

gallery_45765_14340_102321.jpg

These are not yet a part of my Lazer Lynx gang but I've put together a list of models I'd like to add at some point and I got to building a few of them this afternoon/evening. :)

Thank you for making it this far and I'll be back again soon with more updates and pics! :D