Primaris only 3rd company

HazyMoon

Hi all.

Probably all marines become primaris sooner or later. So this is good time to make primaris only 3rd company. We know about company organisation from 7th and 8th edition codex. Company includes HQ, 6 Battleline Squads, 2 Close Support Squads, 2 Fire Support Squads, 3 Dreadnoughts and Vehicles.

Now I'm not sure about Close Support Squads. From DA perpective I can't use Outrider and Speeders (because RW) and from my own taste I'm not planning to use Incursor, Reiver and Assault Intercessor Squad. I hope GW will make some new unit for Close Support but right now this part of company in hiatus.

Another question is Company Veterans. Does they part of infantry squads or they special part of company? In this case total number of marines in battle company can be more than 100?

Company organisation (and to do list)

gallery_242695_16838_9837.png

HQ

Master Astoran, Master of the Arsenal

gallery_242695_16838_33688.jpg

More pics

gallery_242695_16838_35805.jpg

gallery_242695_16838_123960.jpg

gallery_242695_16838_127853.jpg

Chaplain

gallery_242695_16838_113763.jpg

Apothecary

gallery_242695_16838_37205.jpg

Company Ancient

gallery_242695_16838_80214.jpg

Battleline Squads

Intercessor Squad # 1
gallery_242695_16838_132962.jpg

Heavy Intercessor Squad # 1

gallery_242695_16838_116177.jpg

Fire Support Squads

Eliminator Squad

gallery_242695_16838_91363.jpg

gallery_242695_16838_44883.jpg

Aggressor Squad

gallery_242695_16838_726.jpg

Hellblaster Squad

gallery_242695_16838_86788.jpg

Eradicator Squad

gallery_242695_16838_167648.jpg

Edited by HazyMoon

My 3rd company is all firstborn, and my 4th is all primaris. If you want to have some assault intercessors and all, use the reserve companies. I've definitely been adding units to those that I don't necessarily think are part of the company I'm working on.

Great idea

I've done a simliar spread sheet for my 3rd company

Company Veterans:

Command Squad and Company Veterans are additional squads within a company structure. So you are correct that companies can have more than 100 Space Marines. 

I mean, they basically always do since the Master of a company would technically count towards that limit as well

Reference

Nice project

I am making primaris only the 5th company cause they already have the primaris company Master Lazarus

Same here.

I'll also be transferring units across to support company's as new models area released as I see fit :D.

Infiltrators, Incursors, and Reivers are all 10th company, no? Along with Eliminators and Supressors.

at any rate page 16 of Codex: Space Marines tells you which go into which category. I agree Outriders would only be 2nd company.

For squad numberings, I still stick to numbers 1–10 even though these can now be fielded as 20 demisquads. If you do all 5-man squads, though, you wind up with 2 sergeants with the same shoulder pad number.

Infiltrators, Incursors, and Reivers are all 10th company, no? Along with Eliminators and Supressors.

at any rate page 16 of Codex: Space Marines tells you which go into which category. I agree Outriders would only be 2nd company.

For squad numberings, I still stick to numbers 1–10 even though these can now be fielded as 20 demisquads. If you do all 5-man squads, though, you wind up with 2 sergeants with the same shoulder pad number.

Suppressors are not phobos equipped units... They are omnis equipped units so they are more meant to be part of a battle/reserve company

So the four primaris units of 10th company are still Infiltrators (battleline) Reivers and Incursors (close support) and Eliminators (fire support) with the addition of the Invictor warsuit

But codex SM hints that also members of battle/reserve companies can be equipped with phobos armour if the situation needs it

According to new codex SM squads of a company can go up to twenty now cause there is now squads like inceptors and eradicators that are 3-6 men squads so you need more than 10 squads to reach to 100 marines if you use these squads only

Imagine a battle company deploying all in gravis armour having only the heavy intercessors squads that are 10 men squads and the other ones that are 6 men squads. If you have the usual six 10 men battleline squads then you have three 6 men close support squads and three 6 men heavy support squads for a total of 12 squads (for a total of 96 marines) so you need also squad 11 and squad 12 and if you field those spare 4 men left in another squad you need squad 13 too

If you have a a reserve company of all primaris (ultima founding chapter) that fields in gravis (aggressors, eradicators, inceptors units only) you will have a total of sixteen 6 men squads and a spare 4 men that can be fielded as the seventeenth squad

But codex SM hints that also members of battle/reserve companies can be equipped with phobos armour if the situation needs it

That's why I'm planning to add phobos in third company.

And I'm not ready for increasing number of squads in new codex.

Also here is eliminators of third company and coversion of Master Astoran.

For Astoran I used BA Lieutenant Tolmeron (legs, torso and right arm), 30k DA Praetor (sword and breastplate), DWK (head), Interrogator-Chaplain (backpack) and Cypher (cloak and left arm).

gallery_242695_16838_33688.jpg

More pictures

gallery_242695_16838_35805.jpg

gallery_242695_16838_123960.jpg

gallery_242695_16838_127853.jpg

gallery_242695_16838_91363.jpg

gallery_242695_16838_44883.jpg

Edited by HazyMoon

Yeah looking through the books, here’s what’s in Ritual of the Damned (page 33):

Every Primaris Space Marine in a Chapter is trained to fight as a Vanguard warrior, and the 10th Company permanently maintains ten full Vanguard squads.

Suppressors are then listed below that, so they are counted as Vanguard and would thus be in the 10th Company, but any other Company could also toss someone into the suit. I think on my initial read I’d thought that only the 10th Company housed Vanguard units, where instead the 10th Company has a permanent complement of them and other Companies use Vanguard squads as needed.

Only the 10th company is comprised of only vanguard units. The other companies can have them still.

Note the obvious that the studio Ultramarines infiltrators and incursor models are painted with gold trim of the 2nd company, as well that the infiltrator shown in Shadowspear for Dark Angels is in the 4th company.

Only the 10th company is comprised of only vanguard units. The other companies can have them still.

Note the obvious that the studio Ultramarines infiltrators and incursor models are painted with gold trim of the 2nd company, as well that the infiltrator shown in Shadowspear for Dark Angels is in the 4th company.

UM are a problem with GW cause according to the model painted by the studio is the only company that has lik 10 or more company captains :P

Going back a little as I think this point was missed:

The lore on company veteran squads is that they tend to be ad-hoc formations composed of the company’s most experienced marines for a specific mission/campaign, or to serve in the company command squad. Presumably after the given mission and/or campaign is over the squad members return to their original units. In terms of heraldry, most representation is the use of the red sword where squad designation is, sans number, which again would revert to their original squad’s on their return. However, given their adhoc nature, that gives a lot of latitude for interpretations

If memory serves correct - and I think this is from the Space Marine codex - when vanguard squads are assigned to battle line companies, then they take on the heraldry of that company and are assigned squad numbers above 10 as needed.

So for my 5th company, 11th Squad are incursors, and 12th Squad are Eliminators.

Also, as Primaris are trained to use all variants of armour, you can mix and match your battle line squads to be Intercessors/Infiltrator/Incursors as you see fit.

• 1 month later...

I don't think we can just slot Primaris units into the Firstborn Battle Company organization. They don't fill quite the same roles, particularly in Fast Attack, but Troops too, with the inclusion of Assault Intercessors. Primaris jump pack units play a fire support role that in Firstborn organization was strictly done by Devastator Squads, and Assault Intercessors take the assault role from Firstborn Assault Squad. For that matter, regular Intercessors are as capable in assault as Assault Squads were, prior to Astartes Chainswords getting -1 AP.

Also, the Impulsor being the main transport vehicle for Primaris Marines, it seems to me Primaris company structure is going to be built around 5-man squads rather than 10-man squads.

Absent some clear input from GW,  I think we're going to have to come up with company structure that suits us as individual players.

We do have some clear input from GW - although it's found in the Space Marines codex.

Previous codexes had the battle company structure as 6 Batlleline squads, 2 Close Support and 2 Fire Support, but now it removes any reference to specific numbers, due to the flexible way in which squads can now be created.

Under each squad type, GW has assigned each unit - Firstborn and Primaris - to a single squad type:

• Veteran - Terminators, Bladeguard, Sternguard, Vanguard, Veteran Intercessors. 
  • Battleline - Tactical, Intercessor, Infiltrator, Heavy Intercessor
  • Close Support - Assault Intercessor, Assault, Attack Bike, Bike, Centurion Assault, Inceptor, Incursor, Invader ATVs, Land Speeders, Outrider, Reiver, Storm Speeders
  • Fire Support - Aggressor, Centurion Devastator, Devastator, Eliminator, Eradicator, Hellblaster, Suppressor. 

(Ref - p16 of Codex: Space Marines.)

So using this structure, you can create any nature of battle company that you like. All Firstborn, all Primaris, or mixed.

We do have some clear input from GW - although it's found in the Space Marines codex.

Came to say the same thing. The place it gets tricky is that many Primaris squads are smaller than 10. What I do is just try to keep to the principle of 60 battle line, 20 close, 20 fire. It’s just now those 20 fire support guys aren’t two Devasator Squads, they might be 10 Hellblasters, 3 Eliminators, 3 Eradicators, 3 Suppressors or whatever. For squad numbers I do 1–6 and 11–16 for battle line, 7–8 and 17–18 for close support, 9–10 and 19–20 for fire support. I still number them as ten-man squads though in game I break them apart into two units (either as separate units or as command squads if I don’t have the detachment slots).

Came to say the same thing. The place it gets tricky is that many Primaris squads are smaller than 10. 

Funnily enough, as I was researching this in the C:SM, I found an answer:

"Even the squads themselves can be broken down to figh in a variety of roles...Should three brothers be detached from their fire support squad to form an Eliminator squad, the remaining seven can form a Hellblaster squad, pilot Invictor Warsuits, or fulfil a number of other roles for their squad designation, including operating the company's Rhino and Impulsor transports."

(Ref - p22 of Codex: Space Marines)

That's pretty cool - I can now legitimately field 6 Aggressors and 3 Eliminators, and give them the same squad markings!

• 4 months later...

Finally able to buy hellblasters, eradicators, heavy intercessors and chaplain. From indomitus eradicators made heavy melta rifle conversion and add DW details.

For heavy intercessors replaced torso with DW Companions. If you are going to do the same remember to put heads in place before gluing front and back parts of torso.

gallery_242695_16838_86788.jpg

gallery_242695_16838_167648.jpg

gallery_242695_16838_116177.jpg

And ravenwing chaplain. Small kitbashing.

gallery_242695_16838_915398.jpg

gallery_242695_16838_573646.jpg

gallery_242695_16838_576147.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool. I did my Star Phantoms based off the idea of Primaris only when 8th came out. Loved it when they finally added Lazarus as a named primaris captain. Finding it hard to compete vs newer codices of late so I am breaking down and working on a Death Wing detachment, and it uses 16 or so terminators that have been doing nothing the last few years. Best part is I just dump my Executioner and Sicaran and it mostly pays for them. 

• 2 months later...

Probably all marines become primaris sooner or later. 

I'm surprised that nobody pushed back against this.  Firstborn and their primaris counterparts have very different roles, both at the individual level and the squad level.  Assault marines and inceptors are better against very different types of targets.  Intercessors are less tactically flexible than tactical squads.  Nothing primaris out-tank-kills lascannon devastators at range.  Assault intercessors are amazeballs midfield skirmishers.  Primaris marines can't wear TDA, and there just isn't anything more survivable.  You really kinda need both firstborn and primaris. Change is not synonymous with improvement.

Edited by march10k