Terrain or Lack of in 40K can make or break a game.

xommul

idk how people don't have terrain a year into the hobby. One largish peice and one smaller piece of terrain can be made every 3 months pretty easily.

I don’t know about these YouTubers but I can tell you that for us normies, space/storage can be a huge impediment for having a terrain collection. Storing even a few large terrain prices can take up as much space as an entire army. I have some terrain but actually owning enough terrain that a 2k game of 40k demands is a lot.

The best compromise for me has been to use various sizes of wooden blocks. Those pack away easily and can still block LoS.

I don't have a large home by any means but I have built 2 large terrain pieces, and rebuilt my WHFB fortified manor, with one small peice of terrain and a large failed a attempt at a Central American style pyramid. Haven't had any trouble storing it, and everything used in my homemade pieces was pretty much free.

Modular terrain is critical for me. Pieces that fit together in different ways to maximize the potential of every piece in the set. 

My gateway to 40k was Space Hulk, but specifically, Space Hulk on a 3D board, so I like close quarters fighting an detailed interiors. All of the buildings are STC's, so identical levels, stacked. I have two templates- one is intended as a multi-residential hab block, and the other is essentially a noble family detached home- it has a smaller footprint and typically fewer levels, but the entire building is a single residence. 

It will take a while to get to the buildings. For now I'm focusing on large board tiles, which will stack for storage. I don't need to build enough for an Onslaught sized table- just enough for Combat Patrol- 6 boards. Then I can build one base unit for the small building and one base unit for the large. Then an additional level for the small building and two additional levels for the large.

Then I build another six boards, and the same compliment of buildings.

In the final round, I'll just build two extra upper levels for the small building and three upper levels for the large. I don't need more than four base units for either template.