Unit of the Week: Trygon

Xenith

Pre-empting Monday, we have a new...

LvLnMIE.jpg

++TRYGON++

This week it's the snake-like Trygon. What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use one?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running them solo, or in twos or threes? Will you be running multiple units?
  • What Hive Fleet Traits, Adaptations and Stratagems do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Is the base trygon ok or do you prefer a Prime?

Over to you.

Edited by Xenith

I've had some great success recently with a trygon with the monstrous size adaptive physiology - the boost to S8 on its talons as awesome, and the D6+1D guarantees a dead marine for each wound, and helps with tanks. I used the regen wounds hive fleet trait, which netted this guy some wounds back over the course of the game.

His 9" move is probably enough to get him into combat if you deploy him on the table turn 1, but there's also metabolic overdrive for a bonus move with minimal penalty. 

I think the Trygon is a great model, he's definitely on my list to get so I'm very interested to hear more. In my experiences against them I think that they require consideration when put into a list given their special rules. Being able to pop up is very useful but practically the model is fairly large so options could be limited quickly. All the more so if you want to bring another unit on with them.

What sort of experiences can anyone share on using its special rules? I think you'd be able to use the burrowing in most games without too much hassle, but I wonder if having a unit follow is a few too many eggs and a bit too difficult to place?

I’ve had some success with my Trygon Prime.

I use her with Murderous size for the advantages Xenith has described but for an added bonus I also add in the Arachnacyte gland.

This allows you to roll 3 dice and pick the highest 2! Leading to more successful charges.

I know it’s a lot of pts and a large investment in Bio-artefact and adaptive physiology.

It’s probably not the most efficient use of resources but can be fun and can be a useful tool in an aggressive list.

As I said it can be a surprise.

The Prime stock for under 200pts seems like a reasonable price? I don't consider the artefact and physiology a cost directly as they'd be going on something on all lists :P A Trygon popping out of the ground must be one of the better "distraction carnifex" options out there? Especially if your plan is to be aggressive, which playing as nids is likely the case :lol:

You could yes. That said I think Veracious Ammunition is best left to an Exocrine as they’ll be hunting Elite units.

Also you can (Iirc) shoot at 2 different targets when the Exocrine stays stationary so you can potentially get the mortal wounds on 2 units!

Although the Trygon Prime has a lot of shots you mainly want her to be targeting chaff. So another d3 mortal wounds won’t make much of a difference.

I usually run a Kronos swarm, so depending on positioning and range I like to use the Symbiostorm psychic power.

With 12 shots you’re bound to roll some 6’s!