Paragon of their Chapter - what's the best choice?

NKirkham24

Fellow Brothers of the Long Vigil.

I really enjoy the fluff idea behind the warlord trait Paragon of their Chapter, and I think this potentially has a large number of applications.

With that in mind, and given the book has been out for a while now, what combinations of character and trait have you come up with? 

Is it best to go combat based on a jump pack captain, and if so which combat focused chapter? Or do you go as durable as possible on a terminator or gravis captain? Or sneaky with Raven Guard? 

I look forward to hearing what you have come up with and definitely think there will be some inspiration to try in future games in the thread.

So far, my favorite is as follows:

-Watch Captain with JP, SS, and Xenophase Blade

**Relic -- Master-Crafted (XP Blade)

**WLT1 - Imperium's Sword

**WLT2 - Paragon of their Chapter (Salamanders WL Trait)

This gives your Captain a 12" move and "Fly," 5W with 2+/4++ protection, and 6 x S8 AP-4 Dmg2 attacks on the charge, all of which Ignore Invul Saves.

The alternative Build that I like here is an identical JP Captain, including Relic and WL Traits, but with a Relic Blade instead of the Xenophase Blade. This gives him 6 x S10 AP-3 Dmg3 attacks --- you lose the AP-4 and ignoring Invuls, but you gain S10 (so wounding almost anything on 3+s and T5 and below on 2+s) and the all important Dmg3, allowing him to straight up kill a Harlequin Bike, Bladeguard Vet, Gravis Armour model, etc. with every failed armor save he inflicts.

What have you been using the Dark Angels trait with build wise?

That allows you to move a unit back a step in the doctrine cycle right?

I use it in a couple variants of ranged heavy lists.

You can use it to stack with the SIA strat+chapter tactic swap and Rapid Fire if its an intercessor squad.

2 squads I mostly have in mind for that trait are these two...which i always have at least 1 in each army. They are quite cheap and each version has 1 rounded knights, mortarion and even a huge mega squiggoth..with spending cp. I dont surprise anyone I know anymore. But most people don't expect for you to be able to nor be bold enough to dump hvy CP 1st turn...ie

1 choose doctrine

2 buff with chaplain

3 swap chapter tactics to Crimson or imperial fists

4 SIA strat for Stalker-cessors

5 rapid fire for Stalker-cessors

Its a hvy cp cost but knocking out a 350-500pt unit that doesn't get a chance to attack or only got 1 turn...thats well worth it. When there is stuff with t8 or with 4+ invul you should try softening it up with another unit. You might not need to use the rapid fire

10 stalker-intercessors

10 Vets- 4 hvy bolters, 3 stalkers, 3 bolters/shields

Edited by Debauchery101