FAQ and Errata, January 2021

Rogue

Not many changes on the Cult front. Perfect Ambush got reworded slightly to fit 9th edition, and points shuffled slightly. 

For some reason, most of the points changes see base units increase by 5 points, but then all their weapon options drop by 5, so it's pretty much a wash.

However, there's a couple of small changes:

• Brood brothers went up one point, and now cost the same as neophytes
  • Brood brother heavy weapon teams went up by two points
  • Aberrants went down by 2 points each
  • Acolyte hand flamers went up 1 point (but the metamorph version didn't)
  • Leman Russes are cheaper - 10 points more for the base tank, but 15 less on all the turret weapons, so 5 points saved overall

So small wins on the Russ and aberrants, and a small loss on acolyte hand flamers (but I feel the bump to 12" is well worth the extra point, so...)

The question I have now is, Why take brood brothers? Same stats as a neophyte squad, less good options (unless you really, really want a Guard heavy weapon in there), no access to cult creeds, no <cult> keyword for buffs. And now they're not even cheaper. So why would you?

Edited by Rogue

The question I have now is, Why take brood brothers? Same stats as a neophyte squad, less good options (unless you really, really want a Guard heavy weapon in there), no access to cult creeds, no <cult> keyword for buffs. And now they're not even cheaper. So why would you?

I guess you wouldn't anymore ?

I never used them much, but now I don't see why I'd take them instead of neophytes with mining lasers who at least have a lot of synergy with our HQs, and can use our Cult creeds !

Overall, the points change are a little disappointing for me : I hoped for a better discount on Aberrants, and at least something for our poor poor metamorphs (the hand flamer thing is cute but they're still not worthy).

The Goliath truck and Rockgrinder come out with a good surprise, though !

Well, true. And my brood brother models can easily play as 'other neophytes', so it's not an issue there.

I just have a personal bugbear with units in a codex that fall short on every metric. Be rubbish, fine; but be cheaper because of it. In my ideal world, parallel units always give me pause - do I want this or this, or even a third unit giving me both at a premium...

And I agree. I love aberrants, but they are so expensive for a unit that dies pretty quickly to bolter fire. And I want to like metamorphs too, but struggle with knowing that taking acolytes is always a better option.

I'm a nerd who is growing a Cult using Crusade rules according to the brood cycles; I have to take brood brothers to represent the first wave of infected hosts. Without those first Brood Brothers, there can be no hybrids. In fact, until the purestrain brood creates its first brood brother, there isn't even a patriarch.

I mean, I get that most folks are trying to win games, but I couldn't care less. I just want to see what it's like to follow the life cycle of the Cult.

My fingers are crossed that I can play the Spacehulk game which kicks off the Crusade this weekend. The first brood will consist of the Stealers who escape the Hulk. In the first round of Kill Team games after that Spacehulk game, members of the first brood stalk armed civilians in attempt to create brood brothers; the stealer who converts the most begins to evolve into a patriarch.

I've been planning this campaign for two years now- 9th ed slowed me down. Starting to feel like it'll never happen if I don't manage to pull the trigger soon. With any luck, I'll have something to report Monday.