Raven Guard with oil paints

Johanhgg

They look good but there needs to be more contrast especially on the bolters. What colour are you doing the bases?

I want to keep them pretty subdued since it’s raven guard :) the bases are like ship-decking/zone mortali- bases

They look good but there needs to be more contrast especially on the bolters. What colour are you doing the bases?

I want to keep them pretty subdued since it’s raven guard :smile.: the bases are like ship-decking/zone mortali- bases

ok, then id recomend picking out the metals a tad brighter on the gun, also a few more spot highlights on the gun casing so it doesnt get lost in the mini. Id also make sure the bases arent just bare dark metal, have a paint layer and chip it like yellow or red etc

heres some pics to try and explain

Heres an Iron Hand that is very black so i needed a contrasting colour for the base.

3qC3Sx4.jpg

and heres a ZM base i used on my Black 40k Death guard

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5YD3JnnBAO/

I like the subdued black, it looks very suitable for the Raven Guard. I'd second the comment about making the weapons a little more visible against the model. A couple of small dabs of metallics should be more than enough though.

I really like the rough muted black on these, looks gritty compared to straight up airbrushing acrylic black!

But I would agree that there is a lack of contrast from my personal view point.  A little weathering pencil edge highlight on that bolter would make it pop in addition to the metallics you've already used, as might a light gray drybrush on the base.

Might I kindly ask you which oils and what application methods you used please?  I'm sorted tempted to oil paint a marine in black to give it a try!