Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Night Lords Contekars

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

Joe

Joe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,932 posts
About time for those Contekar.

Seen in this WarCom article.

vM2NTXezE681kwnf.jpg

Edited by Brother Tyler, 12 January 2021 - 05:58 PM.
Splitting multi-product topic

• Marshal Loss and BladeOfVengeance like this

mkbKIlr.png

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,648 posts
THE CONTEKAR ARE BEING RELEASED! FINALLY!
tenor.gif?itemid=18969085

Edited by Dam13n, 10 January 2021 - 09:18 PM.
Clean up.

• Hooj, Aztek and MegaVolt87 like this

Darkwrath121

Darkwrath121

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 417 posts
Preview article up for the Contekar, including a free rules PDF for them, which actually replaces the profile in Book 9. Points/Ld buff for the volkite loadout.

Technically the first FAQ/Errata for 30k in over 2 years!

https://www.warhamme...ion-nightmares/
  • Gederas likes this

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,648 posts

Preview article up for the Contekar, including a free rules PDF for them, which actually replaces the profile in Book 9. Points/Ld buff for the volkite loadout.

Technically the first FAQ/Errata for 30k in over 2 years!

https://www.warhamme...ion-nightmares/

So the first FAQ/Errata for 30k in over 2 years... And it's for a unit that's models aren't even released yet? :lol:

Nice

• Lord Marshal, Aeternus and Hooj like this

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,798 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard and VIII Legion
Imagine taking a year and a half to get the smallest heresy book out, that contains cut content to boot, and buffing a unit a few months later in warcom article. One that never hit the table in the first place.

These guys didn't need a buff. Imagine thinking your 11 attack, 6 wound, instant death-proof, compulsory HQ that scores needs to get 20 anti chaf and light vehicle shots for free. Because, to go into slot efficiency and rules for a sec, the only HQs that get to score either are Support and require a second hq to be taken, or help you lose the game if they die. The Herald gives more VPs, the knight errant potentially prevents victory; these guys don't have any drawbacks.
  • Black Blow Fly, Hollenweger, Volt and 4 others like this

ShadowCore67

ShadowCore67

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 377 posts
Watch them release this buff for a unit that didn't really need anything and not touch the mess of rules that is the Dark Angels lol
  • The_Bloody, Lord Marshal, SkimaskMohawk and 4 others like this

Noserenda

Noserenda

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,335 posts
  • Faction: Scythes of the Emperor

I dunno, its a buff if you like the Volkites, bit of a nerf if you wanted flamers though.

Id have argued for letting them swap melee weapons though, more than the Sergeant having AP2 seems essential given how close they have to be to the enemy to do anything.

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,798 posts

I dunno, its a buff if you like the Volkites, bit of a nerf if you wanted flamers though.

Id have argued for letting them swap melee weapons though, more than the Sergeant having AP2 seems essential given how close they have to be to the enemy to do anything.

I ran the math. 5 contekar with chainblades and volkite will average as many terminator kills through shooting + melee as:

5 bolter+fist legion terminators
5 deathshroud with reaping blow
5 Phoenix terminators

Really, it's hard to get more output from ap2 that strikes above initiative 1. I'm also not saying to take contekar for their melee, just that theyre broadly capable in case they get in melee while sitting on an objective.

Shovellovin

Shovellovin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 337 posts

...an Escaton power claw. This brutal weapon combines the energy field and mass acceleration of a power fist with the shredding talons of a lightning claw, making it perfect for anyone who can’t choose between their two favourite weapons.

Does anyone know if the models will come with the option for an Escaton power claw? It's mentioned in the WarCom article. I'm curious what that weapons looks like.

Hungry Nostraman Lizard

Hungry Nostraman Lizard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 609 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords

Watch them release this buff for a unit that didn't really need anything and not touch the mess of rules that is the Dark Angels lol

Because the Dark Angel stuff is already released, hah! Unless I'm missing something - the companions already came out, yeah?

J25oay8.jpg

battle captain corpus

battle captain corpus

++ CENTURIO COHORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,777 posts
  • Faction: Genesis Chapter 4th Co. M37
Excellent news, been waiting for these! May just preorder them as a treat!

BCC
  • Gorgoff and Aztek like this
BCC's Hobby Guide:
- Be Grim Dark not Grim Derp
- Hobby for 15 minutes a day
- Your miniatures are always the best painted in the room
- Game with your heart and don't care about losing
- Make sure your opponent is having fun 

Corswain

Corswain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,812 posts
  • Faction: Ist, IVth and VIIIth Legions

...an Escaton power claw. This brutal weapon combines the energy field and mass acceleration of a power fist with the shredding talons of a lightning claw, making it perfect for anyone who can’t choose between their two favourite weapons.

Does anyone know if the models will come with the option for an Escaton power claw? It's mentioned in the WarCom article. I'm curious what that weapons looks like.

I really hope so but I don't think it's likely. I'm gonna have to start looking for something suitable but will probably just end up with standard lightning claws.

Juggernut

Juggernut

++ MEDICAE MONTANEA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,725 posts
  • Faction: All Things Khornate
Edit: question already asked.

Edited by Juggernut, 12 January 2021 - 09:06 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Aeternus

Aeternus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,082 posts
  • Faction: The Eighth // Drukhari

I really hope so but I don't think it's likely. I'm gonna have to start looking for something suitable but will probably just end up with standard lightning claws.

Reckon the ideal choice (if you can find one that doesn't cost half the model tbh) is using the Lugft Huron power claw (Ghost Razor I think?) since that arm as well as being the correct side and brutally unique, also nets you a sweet lion'y shoulder pad you can make a mold of for the other Contekar if you want, or simply leave the arm as is on the sgt/dissident with the idea of just him bearing the atramentar symbol, even if the arm itself is slightly off as indomitus instead of tartaros, still blends better than if it was cataphractii either way round.

• Corswain likes this

Terran_zps971683eb.pnggallery_60566_6038_61161.png Call_of_Chaos_11_Banner_01a.jpg

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,741 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

As far as the symbol, its only a matter of time before someone has pads for tartaros using the blank contekar one with Sev's lion head on one of those 3d printing sites. I'm sure many would be interested in that. 

• Gorgoff, Aeternus and Hungry Nostraman Lizard like this
gallery_154982_15362_23624.jpg

My Iron Warriors Project   Guns for the guns god!, Bullets for the Brass throne!

Noserenda

Noserenda

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,335 posts
  • Faction: Scythes of the Emperor

I ran the math. 5 contekar with chainblades and volkite will average as many terminator kills through shooting + melee as:

5 Phoenix terminators

Really, it's hard to get more output from ap2 that strikes above initiative 1. I'm also not saying to take contekar for their melee, just that theyre broadly capable in case they get in melee while sitting on an objective.

So they strike as hard as a cheaper unit, (with actual range and a heavy weapon) one of the most notoriously underpowered elite units in the game or Deathshroud (Who i suspect have suffered with power creep too but cant remember specifics :D

Im not sure thats much of a slam dunk?

It wouldnt even take much to make them more appealing to be honest, just let the whole upgrade to the claws or power fists and they get vastly more appealing, i may be a bit rusty on 30k meta but anti medium infantry is hardly in short supply and typically goes beyond pistol range.

Im sure the Warlord potential will get merrily abused until the next FAQ though :( 

(I do like the models though :D

• Hooj likes this

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,179 posts
  • Faction: TODESKOMPANIE

AP3 is not great.

=][= fortis Fortuna adiuvat . =][=
my 40k FB Page:
https://m.facebook.com/Terminus6Est
Terminus Est
Blood and Honor!

Eternal Despair

Eternal Despair

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 74 posts

Not a fan of the change to their rules myself, with the previous rules when kept cheap with the flamers and a claw they were a touch expensive but not to hard to work into a list, granted with the volkite I wouldn’t bother as they just ended up too pricey, with the new change I think they are now firmly in the realm of too expensive no matter the load out, at least for me in most games, on the upside though I don’t really see a reason not to run volkite on all of them now if you do end up taking them and LD9 on everyone is cool I guess.

Ru6kHlM.jpgiqkL0Hk.jpggcTFCSo.jpgzlKEuYs.png

The Observer

The Observer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,392 posts
  • Faction: The Legions of Yore
It's absolutely criminal how the Night Lords made out as robbers with their new rules in Crusade *and* are now getting a mini adjustment while the DA rules are an absolute mess.
  • Hungry Nostraman Lizard likes this
Instagram Handle: count.hodo

12.jpg

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,648 posts

Okay, maybe it's just me, but.... I don't think the Dark Angels rules are that bad*?

My biggest complaint is why the Lion, supposedly the premier tactical genius of the Primarchs, is a glorified beatstick and doesn't give his army any major bonuses?

*Note: Haven't yet fully gotten into 30k yet

• Aztek likes this

Eternal Despair

Eternal Despair

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 74 posts

Like most things a lot of peoples issues rise from the fact that most of the legion units and rules were meh to ok and about half the rite of wars are either restrictive to the point of why bother with a rite or down rite terrible, while night lords players got nothing short of several amazing buffs while already being one of the best legions out there. Then of course there's also a bunch of stuff that needs FAQing and an errata or two wouldn't go amiss 

• Metaliptica likes this
Ru6kHlM.jpgiqkL0Hk.jpggcTFCSo.jpgzlKEuYs.png

Scammel

Scammel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 565 posts

My biggest complaint is why the Lion, supposedly the premier tactical genius of the Primarchs, is a glorified beatstick and doesn't give his army any major bonuses?

Because at some point the decision was taken to amp up the knightly aspect of his persona over his tactical capabilities, and the result is a Primarch who's so utterly capable in CC against every kind of target that it actually tips over into becoming quite bland, unfortunately. 

I am also in camp 'these are great because they can be a compulsory, scoring HQ choice'. They're not as completely elite as some of the meaner legion-specific terminators out there, but they are very much a 'real' unit and if you were even partly minded to take them as a regular Elites slot it seems a no-brainer to do so and effectively eliminate the HQ tax. Unless I had quite specific plans for a normal HQ (such as a RoW), I would likely be taking these every time.

Oh, and 2pt transponders? My Fists are in hard cope mode.

Edited by Scammel, 13 January 2021 - 11:00 AM.

The Observer

The Observer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,392 posts
  • Faction: The Legions of Yore

Okay, maybe it's just me, but.... I don't think the Dark Angels rules are that bad*?

*Note: Haven't yet fully gotten into 30k yet

Just pop down into the FAQ thread in the AoD subforum and you'll see some pretty decent breakdowns about all the issues in the first two pages.
  • Metaliptica likes this
Instagram Handle: count.hodo

12.jpg

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,798 posts

5 Phoenix terminators

So they strike as hard as a cheaper unit, (with actual range and a heavy weapon) one of the most notoriously underpowered elite units in the game or Deathshroud (Who i suspect have suffered with power creep too but cant remember specifics :D )

Im not sure thats much of a slam dunk?

It wouldnt even take much to make them more appealing to be honest, just let the whole upgrade to the claws or power fists and they get vastly more appealing, i may be a bit rusty on 30k meta but anti medium infantry is hardly in short supply and typically goes beyond pistol range.

Im sure the Warlord potential will get merrily abused until the next FAQ though :(

(I do like the models though :D )

It's not meant to be a slam dunk, it's meant to show that contekar are broadly in line with other elite units that strike at initiative with AP 2. And also I was wrong on my math, since I only did 16 shots in my initial calculation. Contekar average 3.2 unsaved wounds from their normal attacks and 1.1 from rends for a total of 4.3.

This makes them out perform:

Phoenix guard
Deathshroud
Ebon keshig
Suzerains
bolter+fist terminators
Justaerin with bolt+fist or axe

And then do the same output as the vauntedly efficient dawnbreakers and glaive raptors.

And again, my point isn't "take these as your melee units because they're just as good" . It's "this is your scoring, compulsory hq choice and they have pretty decent damage output all things considered".

Idk, I feel like everyone looking at these as a normal Elite terminator melee unit misses the point completely.
  • Scammel likes this

Scammel

Scammel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 565 posts

And again, my point isn't "take these as your melee units because they're just as good" . It's "this is your scoring, compulsory hq choice and they have pretty decent damage output all things considered".

Idk, I feel like everyone looking at these as a normal Elite terminator melee unit misses the point completely.

If these are credible as an Elites choice - and they only have to be credible - then they're an incredible HQ choice.

Edited by Scammel, 13 January 2021 - 02:57 PM.

• SkimaskMohawk likes this

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users