Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Night Lords Contekars

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,798 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard and VIII Legion

And again, my point isn't "take these as your melee units because they're just as good" . It's "this is your scoring, compulsory hq choice and they have pretty decent damage output all things considered".
Idk, I feel like everyone looking at these as a normal Elite terminator melee unit misses the point completely.

If these are credible as an Elites choice - and they only have to be credible - then they're an incredible HQ choice.

The only thing that's making them remotely balanced is lack of Master of the Legion lol
  • Scammel likes this

Darkwrath121

Darkwrath121

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 417 posts

138727926_4275111082506139_6923486989874

Teaser of the power claw for the sergeant. Also a cute nod to the Night Lords trilogy covers IMO.

• RolandTHTG, Gederas, Corswain and 3 others like this

Son of Carnelian

Son of Carnelian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,641 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels
Kinda want to make a small Zone Mortalis force around these guys.

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,648 posts

I like the sergeant's helmet there. All this is doing is making me want to order them sooner.

But I have Titanicus to pay for :lol:

• Aztek and Vesalius like this

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,050 posts
With regards contenkar vs other elite terms, Phoenix guard are outperformed by everything.

Mine have never had an impact in games and that's after the update. Phoenix spears need a flat profile rather than charge/ not and then they may be useful. As is, beautiful terminators with less substance than George Lucas scripted dialogue...
Signature not compliant with forum rules.
Hidden Content

Corswain

Corswain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,812 posts
  • Faction: Ist, IVth and VIIIth Legions
Nice to see a helmet option there too. I always avoid bare heads where possible.

The Observer

The Observer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,392 posts
  • Faction: The Legions of Yore
Worst case they'll make for really nice conversion material. Slap some lightning claws on them and we are gucci.
  • Black Blow Fly likes this
Instagram Handle: count.hodo

12.jpg

Sky Potato

Sky Potato

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 259 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels, Catachan
What time are the FW pre-orders live on the website? 1000 GMT?
  • SOSWhistance likes this

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,050 posts

They used to be 9am iirc. I'd get in early based on Saul...

Hidden Content

fire golem

fire golem

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,926 posts
  • Faction: XVth Legion, Loyal Siege force

They used to be 9am iirc. I'd get in early based on Saul...

They seem to have moved to 10 now. 

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,798 posts
121 cad for 5, which is the standard new terminator price. Still burns to see deathshroud and Phoenix terminators for 100 cad.

Their loadout tho. Split ranged weapons...the thing no one ever wants. I see why the rules got changed; not for balance as I thought it made them too good for their hq role, but because the sculpts would have forced people to pay more points just because.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk, 15 January 2021 - 10:36 AM.

• Gederas and Eternal Despair like this

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,050 posts
Ai, 3 heavy flamers and 2 volkites... Guessing even if you got 5 volkites they wouldn't fit well? Shame.
Hidden Content

Corswain

Corswain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,812 posts
Not the biggest fan of the power claw. I think it would have been better in an empty-handed, beckoning pose.
Still better than the dude dragging his sword about upside down option though.
  • SkimaskMohawk likes this

Son of Carnelian

Son of Carnelian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,641 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels
Oh my God they're $100. Well, there goes my idea of a Night Lords Zone Mortalis force.
  • Nemesor Tyriks likes this

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,798 posts

Oh my God they're $100. Well, there goes my idea of a Night Lords Zone Mortalis force.

It's a gross amount, but also to be expected since that's how the more recent terminators were priced.

Metaliptica

Metaliptica

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 56 posts

I really like the look of the claw ! will probably try to steal this bit for a custom world eater Praetor.

Also, I liked the small changes to the Contekars rules made in the WC article, but FW site doesn't seem to host any PDF regarding the upgraded rules. Do you think this means an FAQ/Errata is incoming ? 

Cadmus Tyro

Cadmus Tyro

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 810 posts

121 cad for 5, which is the standard new terminator price. Still burns to see deathshroud and Phoenix terminators for 100 cad.
Their loadout tho. Split ranged weapons...the thing no one ever wants. I see why the rules got changed; not for balance as I thought it made them too good for their hq role, but because the sculpts would have forced people to pay more points just because.

Hmmm....I get your point about mixed ranged weapons, and for the cost I would expect the option for either ranged weapon in the kit. However, the fact that the Volkite is only ranged 10” doesn’t make it a significant issue. I mean, it’s only 3” longer range than your template weapons. In some ways it might be helpful to mix in some volkite, place your flamers at the front, volkite behind. Flamers fire first, volkite mops up the rest. When I’ve used flamer support squads in the past, it’s often hard to get all of them into range, for no additional cost a couple of volkites adds flavour and the ability to hit those units just out of range, plus the volkites don’t have to jostle for optimum template positioning.

I like your points about them being an efficient HQ slot though, perhaps we will see a trend in future releases.

Cadmus
  • Black Blow Fly likes this
Alpha legion and Iron hands work in progress:

http://www.bolterand...legion-wip-log/

Blackshield/World eaters log:

http://www.bolterand...omega-complete/

Aeternus

Aeternus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,082 posts
  • Faction: The Eighth // Drukhari
So is it a NL helm (and accompanying skin/head) he's got in his clawgrip? I honestly can't make it out

Or no, a DA head with weird red bits?

Edited by Aeternus, 15 January 2021 - 04:46 PM.

Terran_zps971683eb.pnggallery_60566_6038_61161.png Call_of_Chaos_11_Banner_01a.jpg

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,025 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

So is it a NL helm (and accompanying skin/head) he's got in his clawgrip? I honestly can't make it out

Dark Angels. If you rotate the model around you can see it more clearly

• Aeternus likes this

bRxSYDV.png

Emperor's Children 22ᶮᵈ Millennial

Sons of Horus 29th Company

Aeternus

Aeternus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,082 posts
  • Faction: The Eighth // Drukhari
Ah alright, yeah I can see the helmet outline properly now, cheers :D

Terran_zps971683eb.pnggallery_60566_6038_61161.png Call_of_Chaos_11_Banner_01a.jpg

Corswain

Corswain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,812 posts
I think it's the wings sticking out between the fingers that I don't like but they actually look reasonably easy to get rid of. Or maybe they'd be less painful if I just painted them white. Anyway, it's not enough to stop me buying them. Now just need to figure out if there is anything else I need to get over the free shipping threshold.

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,798 posts

Hmmm....I get your point about mixed ranged weapons, and for the cost I would expect the option for either ranged weapon in the kit. However, the fact that the Volkite is only ranged 10” doesn’t make it a significant issue. I mean, it’s only 3” longer range than your template weapons. In some ways it might be helpful to mix in some volkite, place your flamers at the front, volkite behind. Flamers fire first, volkite mops up the rest. When I’ve used flamer support squads in the past, it’s often hard to get all of them into range, for no additional cost a couple of volkites adds flavour and the ability to hit those units just out of range, plus the volkites don’t have to jostle for optimum template positioning.

I like your points about them being an efficient HQ slot though, perhaps we will see a trend in future releases.

Cadmus

A case can be made for the flamers, but they're a lot harder to use. You need to be close to get a good spread, not deny any of your own templates and hope your opponent clumps. You need 4 hits for the flamer to have higher output vs marines, which, at the very least means you need to be closer than the lip of the template; a problem traditional guns don't have. I know you're talking about mixed squads making up for some of these template issues, but I'm still thinking that you need to do a lot less work with all volkite while also being able to hurt more targets.

Feel like greenstuff molds or 3d files will be pretty popular to replicate whichever arms people want. Personally, I didn't wan to convert my own because volkites of that size are pretty uncommon, as are the special weapon arms to sell the conversion and I used all my raptor chainswords for terror marines so that's another part to source. I figured I'd just wait for the models and save myself the hassle...

battle captain corpus

battle captain corpus

++ CENTURIO COHORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,777 posts
  • Faction: Genesis Chapter 4th Co. M37
The Contekar Terminators are now general release. For further discussion of their rules and coolness factor (which is very high for sure!) feel free to discuss them over in the Age of Darkness forums.

+This topic is now closed+

BCC
  • mithrilforge and Black Blow Fly like this
BCC's Hobby Guide:
- Be Grim Dark not Grim Derp
- Hobby for 15 minutes a day
- Your miniatures are always the best painted in the room
- Game with your heart and don't care about losing
- Make sure your opponent is having fun 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users