grenade launchers

greatcrusade08

Hey guys

im somewhat confused  by this little weapon.

Whilst im a big fan, it doesnt seem to match up to any competitor.

Plasmas can fire twice and can make use of multiple doctrines, disciplined shooter, vostroyans etc, at close range meltas and flamers are better at thier respective rolls.

I guess the grenade launcher gives us maximum utility against different targets, the jack of all trades but master of none approach, its also why i like missile launchers tbh.

I feel the best fit for them is shooting armour at range, taking off the D3 damage for every successful wound, i think this could really help an infantry based list that relies on heavy weapons that get shot off early.

veterans with cadian/take aim rerolls, using experienced eye can start to have an impact at the 24" range.

the failing is nothing in the doctrines helps them, if they were listed as heavy weapons or rapid fire you could get boosts to thier range, there really is not all that much for assault weapons.

Please discuss, is there anything ive missed?

They have a degree of versatility and they're cheaper than meltaguns and plasmaguns (except on Special weapons teams, apparently).

on regular guardsmen and special weapons they are all the same cost.

The only real cost difference is to veterans an command sqauds. ballistic skills determines cost

They have a degree of versatility and they're cheaper than meltaguns and plasmaguns (except on Special weapons teams, apparently).

on regular guardsmen and special weapons they are all the same cost.

The only real cost difference is to veterans an command sqauds. ballistic skills determines cost

Whoops. Only had the munitorum field manual errata to go off of. Misread the giant blob of weapon upgrades.

This really bothers me.  The very least the Devs could have done was make GLs the default unit cost weapon.

On the other hand with 9th edition it’s a little scary seeing three of the special weapons vying for use.  I played allot from 3rd through 5th when the two options were mainly flamers for crowed control or plasma for armor.  Under the old insta-death rules Grenade Launchers during 3rd-4.5 editions were pretty funny for killing Crisis Suits and their poorly implemented rules.  GLs were oddly decent against elder during our no move days.

I haven’t used the 8th edition because there hasn’t been a reason.  The incentives to go bare bones or other special weapons is too much.  Grenade Launchers either need a rules rewrite or made a free upgrade.

Edited by Guardsman Bob

I think its safe to say its one of those missed opportunities, but i fully intend to run them, maybe my loyalty will pay off in the next codex :)

They definitely need to be cheaper or "free" and there needs to be some boost or benefit from doctrines

I think the combo mentioned above, cadians with bring it down and experienced eye strat makes them quite tasty at range, its a nice little anit tank boost for infantry sqauds wanting to stay mobile yet keep distance from the opposing armour

Back in the day I used them alongside flamers as a cheap but useful weapon and they complemented each other well. Flamers spoke for themselves, but GLs offered some nice versatility and were more capable than many thought using kraks as well as some range and mobility. The golden age was when they dropped down in points more and felt like a good price (3pts seemed right to me).

So my loyalty paid off before, perhaps it can do so again :tongue.: They aren't in the best place currently but I will still use them as it feels like how my infantry works. Don't forget that krak grenades can do more than help against tanks, my main results with them are punking characters or multi-wound elite units who forget the krak's capabilities :wink:

Indeed, and my use/results was before the 2W Marine thing too so they'd be more useful now. That said the best results were against characters and less heavily armoured larger models. A nid beastie down to a 4+ save or less for flying one or Warriors, or a character using their 4++ save they'd still get if you used a lascannon - the S6 gives decent odds for a wound in most cases and the D3 decent returns :smile.: