Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Steel Legion Imperial Guard

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Steel Legion Guy

Steel Legion Guy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1 posts

Hello everyone!

I have been a long time lurker on this and other forums, and with more free time I wanted to explore having a project log.

My current project is Armageddon Steel Legion guardsmen. I have just started this project and am very exited. I have been playing 40k off and on for around 10 years, playing most armies but always coming back to Imperial Guard. I have a rather large Cadian force with 150+ infantry supported with some artillery. I have always like different sculpts for the guard and I wanted to expand my force with a contingent of a different faction. I have several Chimeras with my Cadians and Armoured Fist style guard in late 8th and early 9th edition has been my favourite play style. Although I recently expanded the Cadians to try all/mostly infantry guard, I thought that having a small force to use the Chimeras while my Cadians stay as all infantry would be an interesting idea. This would give me a couple distinct styles of guard models and also playstyles which for the moderate amount I play 40k would be fun and fluffy at the same time.

I really enjoy painting, and while my Cadian paint scheme was rather quick to paint, I wanted the Steel Legion to take longer, mainly because I wanted to try some new painting techniques. The first is a type of blending on the trench coat, where I use glazes, with a little wet blending to try and have blended highlights. I've never tried this before but videos on Youtube helped a lot. Secondly, I wanted to try ageing and wearing the leather which is all over these older Steel Legion sculpts, whereas for my Cadians I kept things clean. I based them quite simply on an Armageddon Ash Waste themed base which I think brings out the detail in the old metal minis.

Here is the first fire-team,
gallery_243213_16841_62769.jpggallery_243213_16841_91318.jpggallery_243213_16841_540903.jpggallery_243213_16841_411297.jpg

I hope that these pictures actually are visible! Photography is certainly something I want to improve upon!

Comments and criticism is appreciated, have a great day.

• Doghouse, jaxom, war009 and 6 others like this

war009

war009

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,396 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights Adepta Sororitas

Very nice start. I would love to see a comparison of your Cadians

Inquisitor lorr

Inquisitor lorr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 100 posts
Looking good - great start. I’m a sucker for the steel legion models. What’s your recipe for the coats?

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,967 posts

Very nice work, I think you've nailed the scheme.

jaxom

jaxom

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,892 posts

What everyone else has said. The only comment I have is the goggles. A little more blue would help contrast them a bit more compared when they are on the helmets.

gallery_48988_15094_2398.png sml_gallery_48988_11572_4589.png

Past Event Banners

Spoiler

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13,258 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
Good job on the Sons of Armageddon.
Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)

Warhammer 40,000+ Star Wars- Rian Johnson- Reylo= AWESOME! (Knights of Renaissance)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement) or the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Frostbit3

Frostbit3

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 250 posts
Always loved steel legion. You are doing them justice!

Brother Carpenter

Brother Carpenter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 266 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars, Steel legion

Nice, I recently ran into the warp (attic) location of my armagheddon steel legion models and couldn't help noticing what nice sculpts they were.

You're doing them justice with the paint job.

I might have to restart my steel legion. yes.gif

I saw that they can still be ordered from GW  ph34r.png

ETL VI Banner ETL VI Magister Faction Astartes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users