Drukhari Point Changes

Snazzy

I'm surprised our little community hasn't mentioned the revised point values.  We are a big winner in the Troops department.  Kabalites and Wracks dropped to 8 points.  That's potentially game changing for our fortune.  I will be honest, i didn't see this coming.  I thought Drukhari were going to get better and more expensive.  Will things can in the new Codex, or is this a preview of what's to come?

I haven't had the time to review the changes so I'm reliant on people pointing things out to me :tongue.: With a DE codex on the way it suggests it's the new way forward but who knows. 8pts is better, as is Wyches dropping a point to 10pts. A bit more would be nice in particular for the latter but beggars can't be choosers.

Yeah, only 1 ppm less for Wyches is just... ok.  However, within the Wych Cult subfaction there have been some excellent reductions.  Clawed Fiends dropped 10 points.  Reavers are now 10 points per model.... that has to be a mistake.  Cheaper Assault weapons all around is a big improvement.  But, Kabalites are the real winners in my mind.  5 point Shredders is also just.... mean.  5 Scourges w/4 Shredders at 80 points.   That's almost cynically cheap.

Can't speak for the rest of you, but my 2000 point army saved about 190 points i am channeling into even more infanty.

76UtmPgtSCGKJAnW.pdf (warhammer-community.com)

I've been reluctant to engage until the dex is in my hand; it's sooo close that posting about drip feeds just feels... Premature.

I can't wait for this dex though. Based on the DG release, I'm hoping for at least squad and a piece of terrain to go with the HQ that we know about. We might not get terrain, because we do already have the webway portal, but I want real DE architecture. I'm a total nerd, so I want to play a DE on DE Crusade Campaign set in Commorragh that allows Kabals, Cults and Covens to compete for the right to team up for real space raids.

I know... Pipe dream.

But once I see what GW is giving us, I will scratch build and house rule whatever I need to make it happen in my own corner of the wargame world.

Eh kabs are still overpriced at 8.... but at least less so than 9 i guess, wyches at 10 is still over costed badly, wracks are... reasonable if you go prophets, and why wouldn't you, but hardly a steal,  Talos being cheaper in most loadouts was a nice surprise.  Scourges down 3 blasters and shredders down 5, mandrakes down 2, and  Sslyth down 3 are all quite positive for us too.  Splinter cannon staying at 10 still seems like a joke too.  Though with the codex a month or so away, I am not sure how much these changes matter, unless they are sort of pre releasing our points... but that seems unlikely.  In the meantime coven seems like a very solid choice though, with scourges being able to bring some extra fire power cheaply.  100 points for 4 deepstriking blasters/haywire not amazing but not bad honestly.

Agreed on Splinter Cannons.  They function to replace the Splinter Rifles lost by upgrading to Shredders or Blasters.  That would be the only context i could justify it- within Kabalites where they don't compete for space, like they do with Scourges.  Dark Lances are truly overpriced at this point.  There might be an argument for Dark Lance/Blaster Kabalites and Shredder Scourges.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for new terrain.  GW seems committed to the vision of Drukhari as raiders.  We've never had a genuine Lord of War or terrain piece.  The Webway Portal is Aeldari piece, not Drukhari.

Havent even been active that much lately... But wracks at 8 points a piece :D You are definately the bringer of good news, my friend.

While I sip my coffe and hide under my blanket in the darkness of the swedish ice cold winter, I will feel evil, and plan how my army of wracks will bring endless suffering.... fear...... and pain...... to my coming victims. I lie there all cozy in the bed and imagine the screams of terror of my enemies and agonie and shrieks of dying women.

I reside.

I should revise my statement earlier.  I saved 310 points, once Reavers are included.  I'm on the fence about that, though.  10 point Reavers makes them the best unit in the game, and must be a mistake.  That isn't stopping me from buying another unit of 6.

The gap between Grotesques and Clawed fiends doesn't seem justified.

Seriously GW, why do you continue to make Hellions so expensive?  15 ppm would make them so solid.

Hopefully any point weirdness that we see now takes new rules into account; imagine if the gave Hellions back the ability to pull models out of units- they'd be worth the points if the could target havy/ special weapons or unit champs.

The only place I'm hoping for it to be a typo is with the Reavers, because if the new dex sees them nerfed to the point where their new cost makes sense, they'll be terrible. We should start getting dex previews soon. We might get some mentions in the preview coming this weekend- so far, we've only seen leaks for Lelith; the DG release added a character, a unit and a fortification.

Technically, we already have the webway gate as a "fortification" but I'm still hoping for a piece of terrain that looks like it came from Commorragh. Because scourges and wyches will both be included in the new box with Lelith, we know they won't be getting new sculpts. Mandrakes? Grotesques?

Starting to get stoked, but trying to keep expectations realistic.

Same here. I just remember when the new sculpts came out at the end of 5th. The army could really hold its own. The 6th came out and that saw the demise. Not until 8th had mine seen the table, spotty but did get played. 9th will see a reemergce and hopefully the resculpt of Lelith isnt the only character. Want to see some named ones back.

I've always loved Hellions and beast masters... I want Baron Sathonyx badly...

Its a shame that GW always tend to butcher the HQ list.

I remember when lord Vect was a valid HQ choice.

And you could field him with the Dais of Destruction.

They sure tend to never forget to disappoint their fanbase with the new codices.

Atleast we are getting a new Lelith Hesperax, Ive played her alot but not in comp lists.

What else do we get?

Sathonyx lists with Hellions as troops have never been 'good' imo. but atleast a bit of fun.

They sure tend to never forget to disappoint their fanbase with the new codices.

Certainly true of recent Drukhari dexes, so I feel you.

But the current sisters dex is the best we've ever had. And in terms of 9th ed dexes, we've only actually seen two so far; supplements on top, sure. A third dex fairly extensively previewed and leaked, sure. But yeah, officially we've only seen two.

I have the SM dex and the Deathwatch Supplement. I think they are both great- they are marines, so of course they are going to be good. But I'm also a Crusade player, and each dex will contain bespoke Crusade content, so I'm always going to like that. It's the part of the upcoming dex I'm looking forward to reading.

A lot of the angst around dexes so far comes from comparing armies WITH a 9th dex to those WITHOUT. Not a very fair comparison. I won't be getting the DG dex, just because they aren't an army I actually play- my chaos is Slaanesh- that gives my DE a nemesis. Comparing DG to SM is the best way to judge how this edition is going to play out. From previews and leaks, it looks like a pretty balanced battle between those dexes.

When we get our dex, direct comparisons between the 3 dexes for 9th will give us even more of a sense of balance.

I do hope they get rid of finecast in the Drukhari range and restore our lost HQ. I don't think they'll be able to do as much as I'd like them to do in a single release. I expect a unit to be redone in edition to Lelith, and that's probably it. But hopefully another character or unit will come to us redone via Kill Team, and another via the new 40k Warhammer Quest game that replaces Blackstone Fortress, if we get one. Then once all the dexes are released and GW does their wave of campaign books, maybe we get another unit and/or character.

If none of that happens, and Lelith is all we get this edition, I'll join you in your cynicism- even if the dex and its Crusade content are balanced with existing 9th books. But I think we'll get at least SOME of what I'm hoping for, and GW loves big centrepiece kits so much that I am hopeful for the return of Vect. If it happens, it's going to drop the jaws of a lot of unbelievers.

Anyway, keep the faith. They brought back Genestealer Cults and gave us the best Sisters dex we've ever had; I never expected either of those things to happen either, but they did. So anything is possible.

Don't go to the dark city expecting good news.  They are overwhelming in their cynicism.  I don't particularly blame them, as being a Drukhari fan has been almost as disappointing as being a Tyrannid player.  I prefer the more optimistic crowd here.  We may be smaller and less experienced.  But, that's better than drowning in negativity

Try playing Stormtroopers or Inquisition :laugh.: These changes are encouraging but it seems that they may be preludes to something else so until we get a new codex it's potentially muddy water. For example the multimelta points change which was then followed with rules adjustments that completed the metaphorical puzzle. The new Guard point changes made me wonder what might be coming for them as it included some strange point changes...

The difference for DE is that we know a new codex is coming soon and given this could change points for anything easily I'm not sure how much we need to chew on these. Especially as I'd wager most of us aren't going to be getting many games in before, if at all :sad.:

I'm not expecting anything particularly new with the codex, rather refinement and improvement (in particular I want to see the raiding force be a full boost/reward for using it). I'm feeling some optimism but I'm waiting to see what DE get as hopefully this will be a springboard for me to build around :smile.:

Certainly true of recent Drukhari dexes, so I feel you.

But the current sisters dex is the best we've ever had. And in terms of 9th ed dexes, we've only actually seen two so far; supplements on top, sure. A third dex fairly extensively previewed and leaked, sure. But yeah, officially we've only seen two.

I have the SM dex and the Deathwatch Supplement. I think they are both great- they are marines, so of course they are going to be good. But I'm also a Crusade player, and each dex will contain bespoke Crusade content, so I'm always going to like that. It's the part of the upcoming dex I'm looking forward to reading.

A lot of the angst around dexes so far comes from comparing armies WITH a 9th dex to those WITHOUT. Not a very fair comparison. I won't be getting the DG dex, just because they aren't an army I actually play- my chaos is Slaanesh- that gives my DE a nemesis. Comparing DG to SM is the best way to judge how this edition is going to play out. From previews and leaks, it looks like a pretty balanced battle between those dexes.

When we get our dex, direct comparisons between the 3 dexes for 9th will give us even more of a sense of balance.

I do hope they get rid of finecast in the Drukhari range and restore our lost HQ. I don't think they'll be able to do as much as I'd like them to do in a single release. I expect a unit to be redone in edition to Lelith, and that's probably it. But hopefully another character or unit will come to us redone via Kill Team, and another via the new 40k Warhammer Quest game that replaces Blackstone Fortress, if we get one. Then once all the dexes are released and GW does their wave of campaign books, maybe we get another unit and/or character.

If none of that happens, and Lelith is all we get this edition, I'll join you in your cynicism- even if the dex and its Crusade content are balanced with existing 9th books. But I think we'll get at least SOME of what I'm hoping for, and GW loves big centrepiece kits so much that I am hopeful for the return of Vect. If it happens, it's going to drop the jaws of a lot of unbelievers.

Anyway, keep the faith. They brought back Genestealer Cults and gave us the best Sisters dex we've ever had; I never expected either of those things to happen either, but they did. So anything is possible.

Well I think you are right in some ways, but when I said the things you quoted, I meant only for DE specifically. And it seems like GW is focusing disproportionately much at SM and not as much on the Xeno races. So your argument plays straight into my hands. Im not overly unenthusiastic about the new codex drop, I havent looked at it yet, but knowing what happened in the previous expansions, where they butchered the HQ list and degraded the quality of the artwork of the units in the book, I can only say Im not full of optimism.

But i dont hate dark eldar either. Its the only army I play in fact. Atleast much cant get worse.

I just grabbed the 8th ed codex. (because why not and I never owned it) are the points reduction online?

Edit: found the link above. I am sure it will make more sense when I get the codex and 9th ed rule book but right now I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this army. I looked up a tactica on 12d4 chan but it wasn't that helpful

Yeah, it is a bit of a mental exercise in balancing detatchments and Raiding Party.  I look forward to the possibility of not having to do that dance in order to retain Obsessions.  I think we underestimate just how important those are.  I can't go back to Wyches without Obsessions.

Yeah, it is a bit of a mental exercise in balancing detatchments and Raiding Party.  I look forward to the possibility of not having to do that dance in order to retain Obsessions.  I think we underestimate just how important those are.  I can't go back to Wyches without Obsessions.

Why do you play wyches? Arent they like the weakest unit in the dark eldar codex?

I love Reavers, who are wych cult units. Ditto on Hellions.

Plus I don't play 40k the way most people do. I built two squads of 5 basic wyches- no upgrades at all, and I'm painting them as different Cults. They fight each other in the arena to earn the right to have a succubus/ wych weapons, and their reputation affects their ability to recruit new members. They give the corpses to the Haemonculi who recycle them as Wracks.

Once a Cult gets big enough, the Kabals will bid to take it on real space raids.

So essentially, my main reason for playing anything in this game is that the story requires it.

I love Reavers, who are wych cult units. Ditto on Hellions.

Plus I don't play 40k the way most people do. I built two squads of 5 basic wyches- no upgrades at all, and I'm painting them as different Cults. They fight each other in the arena to earn the right to have a succubus/ wych weapons, and their reputation affects their ability to recruit new members. They give the corpses to the Haemonculi who recycle them as Wracks.

Once a Cult gets big enough, the Kabals will bid to take it on real space raids.

So essentially, my main reason for playing anything in this game is that the story requires it.

I said wyches; not wych-cult units like hellions and reavers.