VAT charges on deliveries from the UK

Black Knight

I'm thinking of placing a large order with GW, €300+. I'm in Ireland so a little bit worried if there is going to 20% or 30% lumped on top.

I havent heard of anyone here being hit with vat or customs charges so you should be good. Plus they did put out a statement saying they would eat the charges

Their website is still showing the Vat reduction for Irish customers too

Yeah, I've already seen several US businesses refuse to send to UK from the 1/1/21 because they'd need to register for a VAT number in the United Kingdom and track every single UK sale separately and pay taxes to UK Tax Office, via expensive international wire transfer, so costs on top of costs.

Small wonder people are just ditching selling to UK altogether. Very sorry, guys :(

The UK customer ( who is, legally speaking, the importer) is liable for the duties and tax, not a company selling to someone in the UK. Most packages that arrive are never even inspected, which means that usually, they get sent straight to the customer without a problem. Whoever told Mad Robot that is either trying to scam them or simply doesn't understand the info on the UK governments website.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-imports-acquisitions-and-purchases-from-abroad

The situation for UK customers buying from the US hasn't changed.

The UK customer ( who is, legally speaking, the importer) is liable for the duties and tax, not a company selling to someone in the UK. Most packages that arrive are never even inspected, which means that usually, they get sent straight to the customer without a problem. Whoever told Mad Robot that is either trying to scam them or simply doesn't understand the info on the UK governments website.

People like Louis Rossman wouldn't have ceased selling to UK if they hadn't investigated this properly.

People like Louis Rossman wouldn't have ceased selling to UK if they hadn't investigated this properly.

I have no idea who that is. And I don't actually care: my point stands. By the UK government's own guidance, as the importer, if I buy from a US company, I am the one liable for the import tax and VAT if applicable. Literally the only things the US company has to do is make sure they fill out the paperwork at their end correctly.

I'd rather see a definitive official (ie government) US source for the whole thing, because frankly its getting a bit tiresome yelling at people I have contracts with who suddenly don't want to deliver for the reason that "they saw something on the internet".

Mannstein this has now changed, the £20 lower level for letting things go is now gone for the UK and as of January you have to register with the UK government and send them the tax. If you send something without doing this your customer is going to get a VAT charge and a hefty admin bill from the delivery company. I think this covers it.

Louis Rossman is the owner of a well known non affiliated Apple Repair company and Right to repair advocate. He is well know on Youtube mainly because his hour long videos of fixing broken Macbooks while he lets of steam is quite relaxing to listen to.

Mannstein this has now changed, the £20 lower level for letting things go is now gone for the UK and as of January you have to register with the UK government and send them the tax. If you send something without doing this your customer is going to get a VAT charge and a hefty admin bill from the delivery company. I think this covers it.

Louis Rossman is the owner of a well known non affiliated Apple Repair company and Right to repair advocate. He is well know on Youtube mainly because his hour long videos of fixing broken Macbooks while he lets of steam is quite relaxing to listen to.

Thanks, that explains some of the utter stupidity/borderline criminality I've spent the last two weeks dealing with. Sort of. Also strongly suggests a lot of less scrupulous companies will be sending a lot of "gifts" to the UK...

Np mannstein, its completely messed up right now as it seems the UK decided to "modernise" the code at the same time as leaving and forgot to tell pretty much everyone.

I receive care packages from my parents for us over here as you cannot buy a few Brittish things in Germany and now we have got to make sure it doesn't go above £35 in total, I think as a gift. Still trying to figure out how to quantify stuff I brought over a year ago to the local customs officers.

Edited by Black_Knight

Okay this is pretty much descending into anecdotal and non 40K lets face it...

Yes, the UK (an ancient part of pre-Unification Wars Europa in M2) is going through turbulent times with its neighbours and as such VAT and delivery costs are in limbo/confusion/frustrating times.

Luckily for us we have a hobby based 37,979 years in the future. And the Bolter & Chainsword caters for that.

Whilst important to the hobby, I feel this topic has run its course, so for now...

- engages power field around Crozius - THWACK!

=][= This topic is now Closed =][=

Happy Hobbying!

BCC