Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Warhawks: Army List Breakdown

- - - - - Primaris Raven Guard Army List

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Dracos

Dracos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,471 posts
  • Faction: Primaris Warhawks

My current smashface 2k Warhawks <Raven Guard> list. This is an exercise in why not what is in the list.  

+ HQ +
Korvin Kestrel <Kayvaan Shrike>

Relatively cheap and flexible, if underpowered in melee

Primaris Chaplain: Warlord, Master of Ambush, Swift and Deadly, The Vox Espiritum,

Master of Sanctity, Litany of Hate, Exhortation of Rage, Canticle of Hate (Aura) 

For good or ill a must have at the moment. Usually has lived most the game in my games so far and makes the Assault Intercessors a threat on Turn 1 that has to be dealt with leaving one of the forward deployed Incursor units unscathed.

+ Troops +
10 man Assault Intercessor Squad: Sgt Plasma pistol, Power fist 

See Chaplain Above

5 man Incursor Squad
5 man Incursor Squad

Generally with 5 Primary Objectives both will be forward deployed with the Eliminators holding my deployment zones Objective, with 6 Primary Objectives one will remain in the backfield guarding the second Objective, while the second unit grabs most defensible Objective in the midfield. Caveat: If opportunity for a shot at killing a character in Turn 1 seems possible I might use Eliminators in the midfield and both Incursors in the backfield. 

+ Elites +
5 man Bladeguard Veteran Squad
5 man Bladeguard Veteran Squad

Designed to Infiltrate (2 CP) forward pregame to reinforce or flip the midfield Primary Objectives if needed. Advancing is a gamble but the Chaplain's relic often makes it possible. Even better when I can use them to intercept opponents looking to engage the Incursors.

+ Fast Attack +
5 man Bolter Inceptor Squad
5 man Bolter Inceptor Squad

cheap Arrive Turn 2 as cover fire for the Incursors and Bladeguard. This combination of units, 1 ObSec, 1 Assault, 1 Fire Support is what I refer to as a Strike Teams. They are 505 points each and are responsible for securing the midfield. The Chaplain and Assault Intercessors are there also but they are more a Distraction Carnifex (without it being obviously so I hope) as what I really want from them is to draw units or unit fire away from the Strike Teams.

+ Heavy Support +
3 man Eliminator Squad

See Troops Above

5 man Eradicator Squad
5 man Eradicator Squad

I haven't used these yet but they are tagging in for the Aggressors. Same points now with the +5 pts per model in the FAQ. I'll be more than happy to put the Aggressors back in if it doesn't work out. I love Aggressors RoF and the powerfist are nice when close to the Chappy or Kestrel. Either way this is going to usually be another 2 CP investment with Strike from the Shadows. They are suppose to Strike from the Shadows delete the biggest baddest unit possible (preferably one without a 4++) and then die from the counter strike. Which is why I have two. Redundancy without spamming is your friend. I say without spamming not because I think spam in of itself is bad. I just feel it makes you a one trick pony and reduces your flexibility factor. Which is how gatekeepers shut you down rounds one and two of a tournament.

So there you have what I have but more importantly why. Honestly I'd never upgrade the Assault Intercessor Sgt like that as its a distraction unit but very little point options for a All-Primaris Only army. Better than couple years ago though. List is designed to excel at grabbing the Primaries. I will always take Deploy Scramblers and Engage on All Fronts unit GW comes up with more "on your turn" Secondaries. Third Secondary is normally Opponent or Mission Specific. Another reason to keep your list flexible.

Edited by Dracos, 15 January 2021 - 03:48 AM.

Hope is a moment now long past, the Shadow of Death is the one I cast
sml_gallery_7985_14167_21284.pnggallery_48988_10069_135.pnggallery_48988_15465_8206.png gallery_87434_12256_5320.png sml_gallery_7985_15940_5720.jpg
9e Raven Guard : 11 - 1
Crusade : 12 - 8- 1
Imperial Knights : 3 - 2

Jacques Corbin

Jacques Corbin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,833 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard
How do you deploy? Are there a lot of vehicles in your meta, or does a single unit of Eradicators draw so much fire as to necessitate a second squad?
  • Dracos likes this

Dracos

Dracos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,471 posts

Standard Deployment:

1) Eradicators and Inceptors are in Reserve. That cost 2 CP

2) Bladeguard use Infiltrate stratagem to get as close to the Incursors as possible. 

3) Kestrel <Shrike> has been in Reserve until the current FAQ. The points increase has necessitated either him or one of the other units start on the board. I will have to play test it, but with his speed and small footprint he is really the best candidate.

As far as the two unit of Eradicators, 

I have a practically neurotic need to double up on my units. Local meta has a nice variety but it's hard to truly gauge until more than two (that I know of) stores in the city open for playing. The Circle City Team Tournament had 40 players and there were four Knight players, and plenty of transports, dreadnoughts, walkers, in many of the armies. That was a team event so obviously unnatural meta compared to a singles. 

Current meta isn't where my head is though, its the future. I hate to give up the Aggressors boat of dakka because it seems the -1 damage is becoming a wider spread mechanic. Combined with Chaos needing everything Loyalist +1 Death Guard is going to join Necrons as needing a lot of D1 to negate their most current buffed abilities. Then we have to remember Orks, Nids, and the rest of the non-3+ xenos armies are going to coming in with new dexes this year (I hope). I think it's hilariously short sighted to think D2 damage is going to be the meta weapon come Fall of 21.

The Aggressors already get peoples attention though the Bladeguard has relieved some of that pressure. I'm going to assume the new hot Eradicators get at least the same.The nice thing (assuming more changes aren't coming) is I can swap Eradicators out and Aggressors in if it becomes apparent they aren't pulling their weight. Pretty sure that would get a "What?" from most analyse, but I think the meta-chasers have more of a 4-6 month mentality. I know that's pretty arrogant lol

There's all kinds of ways I could put more meta hot units like Plasma Inceptors in (5 in my pile-o-shame) but that's the reason I did a Breakdown. To show that there is a strategy to picking units that supersedes just making a point click meta unit army. Three units designed to work as one, on one Objective.

25% of my points for one and 50% of my army to secure two Primary Objectives. Another 40% to pose as a threat to my opponents frontline/objectives. 10% to hold my own objective. I'd say I was crazy for dedicating so lightly to my own deployment zone if playing hadn't proven to me the concept that most opponents see the threat of the units closest to them and ignore my backfield until to late. After I rack up 45 points for Primary points then I could care less about what they kill as long as it's not putting VP on their plate.

sml_gallery_7985_14167_21284.pnggallery_48988_10069_135.pnggallery_48988_15465_8206.png gallery_87434_12256_5320.png sml_gallery_7985_15940_5720.jpg

War of the Eagle

War of the Eagle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 217 posts
In my personal opinion I think redemptors are a great counter to the -1 damage skill and most things. They spit of a rediculus amount of 1D shots and their fist with flat 4-6 damage wrecks charicters. Not sure if they work with your tactics but for me they are almost always mvp.

Alternatively a squad of 2x Invader AtVs with gattling cannons have a surprising number of shots and are extremely mobile and have more wounds.

Edited by War of the Eagle, 16 January 2021 - 03:05 PM.

• Dracos likes this

Dracos

Dracos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,471 posts
I have a (probably unhealthy) preference for Infantry models for various reasons. I can’t argue about the Redemptor value at 180 points he’s not too shabby. I’m just not a fan of them in a Raven Guard list. If I went that route it would be Warsuits. I own two Warsuits and a Xiphon Interceptor but I not even look at building them until the meta becomes less dangerous to them. Especially the Xiphon. :)

Look at how my list is designed (admitted not a top meta list) to collect VP. As designed to grab Primaries a Redemptor could replace the Bladeguard (?). Can’t see the Redemptor lasting that long. The Redemptor in my eyes is more like my Eradicators. Bring them in and kill something dead ... then likely die next turn. The target on both units backs is a great big red set of crosshairs. With Transhuman though the a Eradicators might live to see a model or two survive to the next turn and the Redemptor is dead or reduced to wish hitting with his cannons.

imo

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Primaris, Raven Guard, Army List

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users