Sanguinary Priest .. which version gives you more use?

Helias_Tancred

I currently have one nicely painted Sanguinary Priest on foot. I've only recently started getting some 9th edition games. My question is, is it worth getting another Sanguinary Priest and kit-bashing him with a jump pack?

In 9th edition which version have you been getting more use from, SP on foot or with a jump pack? I'll go one step further, what units have you been finding the best to run a SP alongside?

Or maybe having both is a non-brainer!?!? lol. I have nearly 10k of Blood Angels what's one more model? lol.

Thanks.

I'm going to give you something of half an answer, as it very much depends on what you're running him with, but I'd keep one with a jump pack in your collection at the very least.

The jump pack is extremely useful to keep up with Sanguinary Guard and Death Company (also w/jump packs, obv) and those units LOVE having him around. Combos pretty well with jump pack Vanguard Vets if you're going that route, too. Remember all of those are expensive, springing for Chief Apothecary is usually a good idea.

There's also the option to Deep Strike, and at the very least it'll allow him to quickly reposition if you find you badly need him elsewhere. 

May as well have one so you have the option, right? Or you could magnetise.

For right now, Priests in general are so absurdly good (as we're discussing in the troops thread) that I'm a little hesitant to bring the jump pack version, because it almost feels unfair having him stack so many buffs on top of already crazy good jump units like SG or VV.

Now, if there was a Terminator version...

Jump Pack also allows him to keep up with fast shooty units like Inceptors and Attack Bikes. Even if you only plan to have him support infantry, the JP is worth considering so that you can make sure he can bring his buffs where you need them.

If you don't want 2,then magnetising is a good option. Of course I am slightly biased in having just converted a new one. ;)

med_gallery_82363_13858_122905.jpg

Edited by Karhedron

A bit of a deflection here, but:

If I were to want to run a priest on foot it would be because he would be surrounded by other units on foot, like Bladeguard and Assault Terminators. With that being the case I would probably take Corbulo over the priest. His aura is always active even if you don't get first turn or pick the wrong unit.

So my answer is either a priest with a jump pack to keep up with jump pack units, or Corbulo. Though a priest with or without a jump pack will still be useful in that he can buff a unit up with the Chalice and then that unit can move well across the board. So you're not really losing out on the offensive buffs without the jump pack, you're losing out on the mobile FNP aura and revives on your mobile threats.

The problem with Corbulo is that he does not have access to the Selfless Healer WLT which is a great part of what makes Sanguinary Priests so good at reviving. He can only heal 1 model of D3 wounds and Res'ing costs 1CP.

He can heal twice, but you're right about the CP cost of reviving. But that's a CP you would be spending on Chalice Overflowing if you were too buff two units with the priest. IF you're going to be running a big death ball of scary units on foot, I think Corbulo is the way to go.

If you can take a jump pack, you may as well. Other chapters are jealous of them, so for that reason alone you should take them. But often when I play them they are just babysitting terminators and bladeguard, so I can see the argument against one. Still, it's nice in case you gotta go help another squad, also let's you put him back up into deep strike with that stratagem, potentially stealing away some assassinate points

gallery_94155_16834_1277321.jpg

Edited by Gloomfoe

ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS!!!!!

If you can take a jump pack, you may as well. Other chapters are jealous of them, so for that reason alone you should take them. But often when I play them they are just babysitting terminators and bladeguard, so I can see the argument against one. Still, it's nice in case you gotta go help another squad, also let's you put him back up into deep strike with that stratagem, potentially stealing away some assassinate points

gallery_94155_16834_1277321.jpg

Parts list?

"ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS!!!!!"

Thanks! It's just a Sanguinary priest with a Sanguinary guard head and wings. I kept his backpack and just put wings on it. His backpack is cool and unique so I didn't want to get rid of it. Also if I don't want to use a jump pack I can just say the wings are decorative.

I painted him red cuz I'm running Lamenters, so he is my only red guy

Edited by Gloomfoe

The only drawback with Corbs - well aside from the fixed WT and no jump pack option - is his chalice ability activates at the time of combat. Definitely a bonus if you're running multiple units close to each other but difficult for jump units. With the priest he can buff them and then they can jump off to where the combat is. Just a case of what you're running and personal preference I suppose

I've ran him with rites of war and visage of death and had great results. Even without a jump pack. I keep him out of combat and if the opponent goes out of his way to try and kill him, that leaves my killy units more intact

A bit of a deflection here, but:

If I were to want to run a priest on foot it would be because he would be surrounded by other units on foot, like Bladeguard and Assault Terminators. With that being the case I would probably take Corbulo over the priest. His aura is always active even if you don't get first turn or pick the wrong unit.

Also bear in mind with Corbs is that with the always-on Aura, any shooty units he's near, eg tactical terminators, will count as assault doctrine, so lose tactical doctrine bonuses to their storm bolters in t2, which is a big loss. I'd only use corbs in a dedicated assault blob, like T2 from a raider, or drop pod.

For the OP, get a jump pack priest. The pack is so useful for getting him into the right place and out of trouble if needs be, even with Wings of Fire if you have to. Prime targets are bikers, inceptors, terminators, etc. who all want to be close to the enemy. 

I run a lot of jump pack units in my army. SG are my hammer while PlasmaCeptors and Attack bikes bring the bulk of my firepower. In that list, a Jump Pack is almost mandatory.

If you are running lists where your valuable models are foot-sloggers like Terminators, Gravis or Bladeguard then the Jump Pack is less vital although I would still be tempted if you an spare the points.

Also bear in mind with Corbs is that with the always-on Aura, any shooty units he's near, eg tactical terminators, will count as assault doctrine, so lose tactical doctrine bonuses to their storm bolters in t2, which is a big loss. I'd only use corbs in a dedicated assault blob, like T2 from a raider, or drop pod.

Great point, and an important reminder.