Differences between collector's ed and normal supplement?

Shaezus

I pre - ordered the collector's edition on the first day it went up for sale, but because it took months to arrive in the post i also went and bought the normal edition when i saw it in a store

A far as i can tell the only difference is the absence of the 40k logo and "codex supplement" in different print on the front cover, and a BA quote on the back cover of the special edition

Have I missed something?

I really hope so because the collector's edition was double the price.

If not then I actually am going to mail GW and rant at them good and proper

I have the collectors edition as well. I have the 8th edition collectors editions too (BA & DA).

I believe the book mark is only in the collectors edition? I personally really like the collector edition covers! It feels like JLo's toned and oiled ass in my hands lol. Yeah, I'll pay extra for that ;)

They stopped using blackened page tops and bottoms in 9th, like my 8th edition ones have.

I pre - ordered the collector's edition on the first day it went up for sale, but because it took months to arrive in the post i also went and bought the normal edition when i saw it in a store

A far as i can tell the only difference is the absence of the 40k logo and "codex supplement" in different print on the front cover, and a BA quote on the back cover of the special edition

Have I missed something?

I really hope so because the collector's edition was double the price.

If not then I actually am going to mail GW and rant at them good and proper

different material, different leaf, book mark, slightly different art on cover, numbered. Thats it

I got it too as it matches the space marine one i got that way

I have the collectors edition as well. I have the 8th edition collectors editions too (BA & DA).

I believe the book mark is only in the collectors edition? I personally really like the collector edition covers! It feels like JLo's toned and oiled ass in my hands lol. Yeah, I'll pay extra for that ;)

They stopped using blackened page tops and bottoms in 9th, like my 8th edition ones have.

I admire this positive thinking here

So not just my imagination then. I hate complaining about stuff but for double the price, just seems to be another example of GW being lazy and not taking things to even half of their full potential

I'd hoped for pages of extra art and fluff, that's what I thought collector's edition is all about

So not just my imagination then. I hate complaining about stuff but for double the price, just seems to be another example of GW being lazy and not taking things to even half of their full potential

I'd hoped for pages of extra art and fluff, that's what I thought collector's edition is all about

Is the CE a rip-off for the price? Yes. However, GW is upfront about what you're getting when you buy the CE. You really can't claim that they tricked or suckered you.

Have I claimed to be tricked or suckered?

You mentioned that you had bought a CE dex and that if there was no real differences between the basic and CE version you were going to write GW an angry email. Your OP indicated a degree of upset or regret with your purchase based on a misperception of what a CE included.

To set all that aside and give a PSA to any other reading this:

Collectors Edition codexes have a slightly nicer cover and that's about it. It's numbered but who cares, it will be out of date and useless as anything other than a shelf decoration in roughly 2 to 4 years depending on faction. There is no real market for people looking for old collectors editions so their value is no more than a regular print dex. You should only buy one if you've got money to burn and like how the book looks.

I'm not a big fan of the collector's editions. They're fine, but I don't see them as worth the value for their minor material differences.

They have a straightforward description of what is in it, in no way do they promise extra art or anything like that.

Is the CE a rip-off for the price? Yes. However, GW is upfront about what you're getting when you buy the CE. You really can't claim that they tricked or suckered you.

I believe the value is like beauty in the eye of the beholder. I started getting the collector editions in 8th edition with the Dark Angels and then Blood Angels collector versions. However I only own and play two armies. If I actively played more than that then I'm not sure I'd pay the difference unless I kept it to one or two of my favorite armies?

I really like the covers *much* better than the retail versions, and I'm a very dedicated Blood Angel and Dark Angel collector/player (mugs, T-Shirts, masks, dice sets) so for me its a continuation of it and I get to "show off" that fact when I play 40k ;) ... so yeah some hobby vanity tied into it as well saying clearly I'm a fanboy of faction X.