Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Rymr 1st Thunderers

Wargames Atlantic Squats Imperial Guard

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

SvenIronhand

SvenIronhand

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 107 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves, Ultramarines

"Vengeance for the Homeworlds!"

-Battle-cry of the Rymr 1st

"The pyre was burning / The Strongholds died.

And all along, they said / Help's on the way.

But it never came / It never came."

-Lament for Rymr

Well, my Ultras have reached a point where I'm ready to move on for a while. So I'm working on a new army. Namely, Squats, run as Astra Militarum. These guys have a backstory doc, which you can read here. The Ashimar Nova Guard mentioned in the doc are one - if not the most popular - of the most popular Guard homebrews, and they belong to a friend, Will. His wiki page for them is here. In addition, here's some of his models.

Here is the "first of the 1st", Warlord Ivaldi Wootz. Him and his Brethren are Einherjar, from Wargames Atlantic. These are great models, and fit the part well.

image0.jpg?width=503&height=670

EDIT: Here's the basecoats on some of the infantry. 

image0.jpg?width=894&height=670

Originally, they were going to be closer to Nova Guard colors, but I picked up the wrong paint and decided to stick with it, so they're light blue-grey and navy blue now. 

Edited by SvenIronhand, 17 January 2021 - 01:40 AM.

• Kriegsmacht, Noserenda, WarriorFish and 7 others like this

WarriorFish

WarriorFish

++ PRÆFECT SOCIORUM ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,847 posts
  • Faction: Hunter Legion

This is a good start, the models work well too with a good scale :tu: I think the colours work too, reminiscent of old school Guard which fits the theme :)

gallery_48988_15465_8206.pnggallery_30308_9518_1551.pnggallery_30308_3239_3185.pnggallery_30308_9518_17558.pnggallery_30308_3239_193.pnggallery_30308_3239_17729.png
Painting Oaths Completed:
gallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_84.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gif
gallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gif
In the grim predictability of online 40k, there can be only Sun Tzu quotes

SM Ironclad | IG Stormies | =][= Stormies | AM Armigers

CSM Terminators | TSons Rubrics | Daemons Daemonettes

DE Warriors | Tyranids Genestealers

SvenIronhand

SvenIronhand

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 107 posts

This is a good start, the models work well too with a good scale thumbsup.gif I think the colours work too, reminiscent of old school Guard which fits the theme smile.png

Thanks. Like I said, they were originally going to be closer to the Nova Guard's colors.
AshimarNovaGuard.png

I'd like to pose a question to the Fraters, while I'm at it. What doctrine should I go with? I'm tempted to go with Catachan, because theirs rewards infantry, and I gave my 1st Infantry Squad a flamer. But Cadian is good for shooting, too. I'm also slightly considering Armageddon, but I don't see much utility from it.

• walter h likes this

Diagramdude

Diagramdude

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 456 posts
If you’re gonna go mass infantry, wilderness survivors + disciplined shooters or wilderness survivors + lords approval.
  • walter h and The Ergonomic Enginseer like this

SvenIronhand

SvenIronhand

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 107 posts

Well, my first Infantry Squad is done, so here's a family photo. The rightmost guy is a Hearthguard Hazkal, the equivalent of a Platoon Commander. 

• WarriorFish, walter h, Jud Cottrell and 2 others like this

SvenIronhand

SvenIronhand

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 107 posts

"The Tyranids brought us to our knees, and now we face a greater trial before us, Troopers of the Rymr 1st. For those of us that remain, there is but one choice. We must fight! To victory - or death! For the Imperium! For the Ancestors! For the Allfather!" 
-
Durgrim Fell-Handed, Squat Priest, before leading the climatic bayonet charge of the 2nd Battle of Tar-Namib. Fell-Handed personally slew several of the wayward Sons of Horus in the melee that followed. 

I decided to go Catachan. S4 is a big draw, and the idea of a bunch of Squats punching a foe to death is metal as :cuss. Hence the Priest before your eyes. I imagine Durgrim here as being one of the charismatic leaders that keeps the 1st together, along with Lord Commissar Kragg. 

• WarriorFish, walter h and 4CIN87 like this

SvenIronhand

SvenIronhand

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 107 posts

Spoiler

This guy isn't a Squat, but he's an important part of the Regiment nonetheless. Lord Commissar Kragg, a alumni of the Schola Ashimar, finds his job relies less on fear than negotiating the Squat psyche. By the Emperor, it will be done!

Also, this is a WIP.

EDIT: He's done! 

Edited by SvenIronhand, 24 January 2021 - 12:34 AM.

• WarriorFish, librisrouge, duz_ and 1 other like this

SvenIronhand

SvenIronhand

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 107 posts

Well, I have a WIP for you guys. 

As the war for Ashimar wore on, the Troopers of the Rymr 1st found themselves sharing the limited supply drops the Imperium could make to that beleaguered world. As such, vehicles, painted light-years away on distant Forge Worlds, in Ashimar colors were a common sight on the front lines. However, the 1st did its best to distinguish their livery from that of their trusted Umgi allies. This Sentinel, for example, bears the clan colors of Clan Nornsson. 

IRL, the white field and red stripe pattern is inspired by those seen on 20th century British tanks. 

EDIT: And, done!

EsyB5OEXYAAngnc.png?width=894&height=670

Edited by SvenIronhand, 28 January 2021 - 12:57 AM.

• WarriorFish, UltraRich, walter h and 1 other like this

SvenIronhand

SvenIronhand

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 107 posts

I've started work on the Ironbreakers, pending arrival of Hellgun bits. For those of you who haven't read my background doc, those are the "regimental" stormtroopers. These guys turned out less elaborate than I originally intended. In their current state, they're just a headswap using GS and Oathmark Dwarf heads. No carapace bits or anything like that. Anyhow, I plan to paint these guys' armor as a metallic silver. 

image0.jpg?width=655&height=670

Edited by SvenIronhand, 28 January 2021 - 08:00 PM.

• librisrouge, Jud Cottrell and duz_ like this

Inso

Inso

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,103 posts
  • Faction: Dire Wolves

Looking good so far :) . Those Einherjar are pretty cool (I've bought some too) and will look great as a Squat army. My one bit of concern is the large size of some of the weapons... 

• walter h likes this

Life is for living... live it!

My Blog: http://insosworld.blogspot.co.uk/

My Other Blog: http://grymnoutthere.blogspot.co.uk/

And my Nother Blog: http://reptiliad.blogspot.co.uk/

My Emporium Blog: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/

SvenIronhand

SvenIronhand

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 107 posts

One of the most pivotal battles for the 1st on Ashimar was at Ourios Base, in the deserts of the planet. Think of this hilltop FOB as a Khe Sanh, or a Wanat of sorts. When the Hellguard encircled the position, it was hard, bloody fighting for the 1st and their allies from the Ashimar 22nd Infantry "Desert Hunters". Amongst the casualties of the battle was Lord Commissar Kragg, who had become beloved of the 1st.

Ourios Base

Spoiler

Here's my Ironbreaker Prime, Tevildo Torsson.

image0.jpg

Looking good so far smile.png . Those Einherjar are pretty cool (I've bought some too) and will look great as a Squat army. My one bit of concern is the large size of some of the weapons... 

Thanks! They are great, yeah. As for the weapon sizes, the only one that really stuck out to me was the Plasma Gun. 

Edited by SvenIronhand, 29 January 2021 - 02:08 AM.

• duz_ and 4CIN87 like this

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,951 posts
  • Location:The Labyrinth, realm of limitless eternal pain and pleasure . AKA Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
  • Faction: Chaos, Wolves and Guard

Weird how WGA drops these badboys on us as I crave the glory days of 1st ed. Might grab a box and build an army just for playing Rogue Trader. 
Any thoughts about adding Exo Armour to your force? Or would that be hard considering your running them as Guard? 

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the centre of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

gallery_29004_9303_22505.png

Blog - Gates of Helvete

"If you mean, "Are we all going to get killed?" Yes. Clearly, Guilliman is about to make yet another gargantuan effort to move his drinks cabinet six inches closer to the Cicatrix." Captain Blackadder

SvenIronhand

SvenIronhand

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 107 posts

Weird how WGA drops these badboys on us as I crave the glory days of 1st ed. Might grab a box and build an army just for playing Rogue Trader. 
Any thoughts about adding Exo Armour to your force? Or would that be hard considering your running them as Guard? 

I've considered running them as Bullgryns. Either by buying Mantic Forge Guard and putting those on 40s, or just converting the Paragon Warsuit.

Edited by SvenIronhand, 30 January 2021 - 02:45 PM.

• Slave to Darkness likes this

SvenIronhand

SvenIronhand

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 107 posts

"This dry dock is impenetrable. They wouldn't dare an attack." 

-Unidentified Traitor Admiral, minutes before the Ironbreakers of the Rymr 1st rammed the explosives-laden Ancestor's Fury into the star fort Atherstone Station, over Ashimar. Disgorging from Arvus Lighters, the Ironbreakers proceeded to breach the traitor-held star fort, clearing it of the enemy. 

Here we have the rank-and-file Ironbreakers, minus a plasma guy I did earlier as I had the bits on hand. 

Edited by SvenIronhand, 01 February 2021 - 07:42 PM.

• WarriorFish, Cap'm Heckus, walter h and 5 others like this

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,951 posts
  • Location:The Labyrinth, realm of limitless eternal pain and pleasure . AKA Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
  • Faction: Chaos, Wolves and Guard

Not sure if your interested, but I did find these Exo Armour Eggbots. 

https://www.wereweev...t-set-5-figures

What Dwarf heads did you use, normal or the heavy armoured ones? Couldnt find any decent pictures of the sprues online. 

Edited by Slave to Darkness, 19 February 2021 - 02:56 AM.

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the centre of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

gallery_29004_9303_22505.png

Blog - Gates of Helvete

"If you mean, "Are we all going to get killed?" Yes. Clearly, Guilliman is about to make yet another gargantuan effort to move his drinks cabinet six inches closer to the Cicatrix." Captain Blackadder

Jud Cottrell

Jud Cottrell

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,319 posts
Loving your beardy dudes! Will make for a very characterful and unique force!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wargames Atlantic, Squats, Imperial Guard

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users