Ad Mech Tactica?

INKS

https://www.goonhammer.com/start-competing-adeptus-mechanicus-tactics/

Is from 2019 and is missing some of the newer units. There was an update on this for 2020 but it's not as detailed as this first one is. 

So my question is, has anyone done a more complete tactica where they break down the units, on what weapons are worth taking and so forth? The 2019 is really good but it's incomplete and possibly out of date?

The 1D4Chan tactics page for admech has been updated for 9th. The most recent updates within the last 2'ish weeks was the sections on weapons/allies/tactics against (insert faction here). Aside from random youtube channels, goon and 1d4 would probably your best bet for updated tacticas until a new dex comes out. 

Just a warning 1D4Chan is not safe for work but I find it to be a great resource because you have honest feelings from normal players giving their opinions of the models and rules.

Edited by Black_Knight

One of the comments about the tactic pages from there that has stuck with me was something along the lines of "I've never seen a tactica TRY SO HARD to find a use for everything instead of just this is trash dont use"

Yes, that might be quite accurate. But to be honest - if you do find combos to make "trash tier" units work, no one ever expects that, unlike the netlist of the week. And hidden combos don't usually get nerfed to oblivion (looking at you, IH). So why not try hard to find a use, the balance pendulum swings quite fast these days (via points adjustments, FAQs, CAs,...).

• 1 month later...

One of the comments about the tactic pages from there that has stuck with me was something along the lines of "I've never seen a tactica TRY SO HARD to find a use for everything instead of just this is trash dont use"

Yes, that might be quite accurate. But to be honest - if you do find combos to make "trash tier" units work, no one ever expects that, unlike the netlist of the week. And hidden combos don't usually get nerfed to oblivion (looking at you, IH). So why not try hard to find a use, the balance pendulum swings quite fast these days (via points adjustments, FAQs, CAs,...).

Very true. I'm researching admech (for 9e) and mechanicum (for HH:AoD) because I have some models in the pile of shame waiting to be built, which is why I'm here at the moment. I feel that I must emphasize your point.

Putting the unexpected on the table can be very disruptive to the enemy's plans. I've often shared lists that people will say are trash, but often these lists do well because the enemy doesn't know what to do against them. Your enemies indecisiveness is your advantage.

Putting the unexpected on the table can be very disruptive to the enemy's plans. I've often shared lists that people will say are trash, but often these lists do well because the enemy doesn't know what to do against them. Your enemies indecisiveness is your advantage.

Indecisiveness is one thing, not adjusting the deployment and game plan accordingly the other.

I've had one local tournament where I spammed Reivers and Incursors. Reivers are usually cheap trash, Incursors merely situational. But stacking every Raven Guard pre-game and first-turn movement buff I could find, it resulted in a guaranteed first turn charge with 40 primaris, with access to rerolls and entire buckets of dice. Gorkanaut with T8? S4 AP0 kills it anyway, with ~200 dice. IH pre-nerf gunline that wipes out half an army per turn? Completely locked in CC. Everyone else planned to play 40k, but my list rather played like Blood Bowl.

Finding such combos with AdMech is harder, since there are far less units and abilities. But still more interesting than the Cawl castle...

Edited by MajorNese

It does seem that the Admech article count is increasing, so I reckon we will be the next one on the list, possibly after the Sisters codex.

Admech is a very reactionary army, after almost every codex that is released, it seems like our strategies change completely.  We had Cawl castle, Dragoon explosion spam, Priests in Drill, Kastellan spam, Volley LOS submarines spam, Priests in Submarine, Breacher spam with Ironstrider backup.

Right now it is quite balanced in that you need to use 2-3 of the above strategies to create a competitive army. It will probably all change in a few weeks, especially if that HQ is a Skitarii Alpha Prime Whatsanought.

Yeah, it seems like we're one of next.

From Warzone Charadon, every faction seems to be covered by rules right now. Death Guard had its codex, rules previews for Dark Eldar suggest they're next, Sisters have new kits (shown character and warsuit, teasered rhino variant), and AdMech has its character in the preview (which might hint to being the following imperial codex).

It would be interesting to know if any other models accompany the codex, besides the character. But considering we just had a release full of weird stuff, I wouldn't hold my breath.

As far as reactionary goes - yes, mostly due to the low unit count. Any above-average combo gets spotted, subsequently nerfed, and replaced by another one later. The polar opposite, Astartes (that drown in datasheets and supplements), can create combos/lists geared towards any desired direction. With the new codex, updated profiles and at least some more unit choices than the last codex, the cards will be shuffled anew.

You can only dictate the play so much with an army of infantry that's largely T3 and isn't very capable in close combat.  The resilience of Admech in the sense of board control in 9th is really low in my opinion.

I think unless you get Fulgurites whoopin' a squad to death early in cc, then it isn't likely. I've seen Breacher armies that can make the attempt (although I don't think they are very good right now), but what a boring build.

I am really curious what they do with Admech in 9th but most strategy articles are going to probably be pro Balistarii right now. They just got such a nice inherent boost in 9th. Move/shoot, quicker movement, etc.

It's a shame our air transport has such low transport capacity since it effectively nips any chance for our army to field air cav right in the bud. My Fusilate may have been assembled as a Transvector had it been able to support any noteworthy quantity of infantry.

I can't really comment much here because my army is just a collection of a little of everything rather than a coherent force. That doesn't mean that I won't be keeping an eye on this space in the future, it will be interesting to see how drastically the unit rules change.