How to deal with Mortarion?

Greetings all,

I have noticed that Mortarion has created quite a stir in the Space Marine forum and they are proceeding to gather their mightiest warriors to say the vile foe. A friend of mine has a respectable-sized Death Guard army with Mortarion at the helm. I haven't encountered them on the battlefield yet but with their recent codex the plague Primarch sounds pretty formidable. Has anyone started to start working on battleplans to counter him yet? I was wondering if the Fusilave stratagem Electro-Filament Countermeasures would help shut his auras down for a turn? 

I am unsure what kind of weapon combinations would work. Would it still just be a case of loading up on Phosphor Kastellans and Wrath of Mars or are there other combinations that would appear more effective? I am relatively new to fielding my army so I'm not sure what tactics to employ. Would Icarus Dunecrawlers do damage through sheer weight of fire or would Ferrumite Skorpius be more helpful? 

I'd like a decent blob of Fulgurite Electro Priests for mortal wound spam but I expect Mortarion would just mulch them before they could gain their 3+ invulnerable.

I personally built my army just to pick some units I thought looked cool so I haven't loaded up on any particular models yet, apart from having an autocannon Ironstrider and two Dragoons for causing mischief. I'm looking to expand those elements to my army but let's face it, I'm potentially looking to expand everything in my army. :teehee:

Greetings all,

I am unsure what kind of weapon combinations would work. Would it still just be a case of loading up on Phosphor Kastellans and Wrath of Mars or are there other combinations that would appear more effective?

This would be my go to. In fact with disgustingly resilient being a reduction in damage now, I think it’s even better. Mars Admech may be one of the best counters to Mortarion and Magnus.

Edited by brother_b

Reduced damage and all his saves means you need as many shots or mortal wounds as possible. The higher strength the better but never at the expense of loosing mass of fire. You are going to kill him by having him fail his saves or simply bypassing them all.

Bots are pretty much perfect, Dragoons with autocannons have a lot of shots too but don't forget to shoot your vanguard and rangers too, every lost save is important. Disco priests will die before they get to hit him, doesn't he have a fight last buff? I saw a recent batrep and he had 17 attacks or something in a single fight phase.

The only other thing to worry about is what the rest of his army is doing while you are hitting Morty, do not let them get to the objectives or you will never shift them off.

Edited by Black_Knight

• 2 weeks later...

The math is desperate to DG side.

Since "long range fire support" in most DG lists only confer to…a pair of PBCs, DG cannot cripple a kastelan robot unit(they start the game with 2+/4++, right?) in turn1. It is possible for a robot unit fire once(assumed only once) with full strength.

6 phosphor robots have 108 shots. Morty would always bring the trait which shut down enemy rerolls in "contagion range"(start with 9 inches, could be increased to max 12 inches via psychic). Just assume he got it. 3+ to hit, with no reroll, nets 72 hits.

72 hits generate 12 MW from Wrath. 8 go through the FNP. Normal wounds also make 24 wounds, 12 after 4+isv, 8 after FNP. Morty has ~2 wounds left, and Admech has 1000+ pts units waiting to shoot.

DG would like to cast miasma(-1 hit) on Morty, but Admech also has answers in psychic defense.

The matchup strongly favor Admech. There is really should be DG players asking "how to deal with admech?".