Thinking of starting a blood angels army

dirk36

Hey all, like the topic says I thinking of starting a blood angels army. The Salamander’s I painted are cool but the more I look at blood angels models and their tabletop play, I think I like them. Since warhammer is an expensive hobby how important is the codex in the grand scheme? I already have the space marines codex and so far I’m going to use models from that codex. Any help you can give a first timer would be appreciated.

Hi Dirk,

Great choice in the BA - Personally I think they're the best chapter in terms of background, and they have a varied colour pallette, with units in red, black and gold.

While you don't need the BA codex to field a BA army, the one you can make from the normal SM codex is quite basic, although you can still make a strong army.

With the BA Codex, in addition to all the Blood Angels background writing, you get a lot of cool new stratagems, units, and relics, so you'll want to pick it up at some point (although the same can be said for any of the supplements), but you definitely need it if you want to use the unique units like the sanguinary priest (apothecary with a jump pack), the Sanguinary guard and of course, Death Company. 

The good thing about the SM codex is that it's really a load of small codexes in one, so you can use the same models and play around with the rules. 

Perfectly summed up by Xenith here. Blood Angels are very fun to play, from the nobility and strength of the Sanguinary Guard, to the anger and might of the Death Company, the Blood Angels have a huge variety to play from and not once have I been bored of playing them. Our lore also goes very deep and is very well made and structured, a lot of great books, too. 

The Codex covers our unique units like Characters, Sanguinary Guard, Death Company and special Dreadnoughts. You can play without those, at least initially but personally I feel you losing some of the flavour and just playing red Marines. Still, it is fine for getting started with.

Maybe try out a small force using just the rules in the main Space Marine codex and see if you like the vibe. Also see if you get on with painting red as some people find it a tricky colour at first. If you like what have, then look to add the codex and unique units as you expand.

Also see if you get on with painting red as some people find it a tricky colour at first. 

Also worth remembering is that the codex is super flexible. If you dont like Red, run a successor chapter, either one of the listed, or make up your own. If you want BA special units, but don't like the chapter traits (+1" to charge, +1 to wound), then you can make a successor with different traits, and still use the BA codex for those units. 

Thanks for the input. I really like the BA red color scheme and at least in the videos i’ve watched the chapter traits make them feel more dynamic than your typical space marine castle. I’ll have to look at picking up the codex soon then cause it was the aggressive jump pack units that really drew me in.

I grew up playing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons from when I was 10 in 1981, to off and on through high school and through college. I still play today. That being said I approach my preference of an army choice in Warhammer 40k like I would a character from my original hobby. I look at who they are in the setting and what they represent, what they stand for, their values, and their flaws. I'm a big RPG gaming nerd, I make the choice a personal one. I then take in aspects of what they look like (the hobbyist), and how they play in the game after all of that. In the end they represent ME in the game, just like my AD&D characters do. If you're like me then you'll find much reward in collecting, hobbying (building, painting, kit-bashing) and playing Blood Angels!

We are noble, yet flawed heroes. We represent perseverance. We refuse to let go of optimism, and are carriers of the light in dark times. And lastly we are a chapter that is readily willing to sacrifice for what we stand for. We hold true to the Emperor's vision and that of our primarch. Our primarch, The Great Angel Sanguinius, was the best of his brothers.

Our model line has plenty of unique and iconic models and units. Only Dark Angels and Space Wolves come close to the kit-bash opportunities that Blood Angels have. Our colors look amazing when fielded on the table top; Red, Gold, and Black. One of the best looking armies we are!

We are space marines and we play at our core like space marines but our unique units and chapter rules make us an army that excels in the assault. We are not the easiest marine army to master, but when you do we are one of the most personally rewarding and capable.

I've been in this hobby since 2013. I've only owned and played three armies, all marine armies ... and each time I come back to Blood Angels. They were my first and will always be on my shelf. Once a son of Sanguinius, always a son of Sanguinius. 

Welcome!