Watching a couple battle reports, Mortarion is an absolute beast with 18W, T8, 3+/4++/5+++ and -1 dmg! I watched a 5-man squad of BA Assault Termies and a BA assault squad just bounce off him (granted there was a lot of bad dice rolls). If Morty gets his -1 to hit psychic power off, it really hurts (especially with turning off Auras within 9").
So I'm thinking SWs have a nice counter to that - Keen Senses + Morkai Bolts, so I'm trying to think of ways of best utilizing it.
My first inclination is a 6-man Aggressors squad with boltstorm gauntlets & fragstorm. The 1 dmg ignores his -1 dmg, and the tactical doctrine gives -1 AP essentially mitigating his 3+ armor without being too expensive. This works from 9.001-18" away, so we ignore Morty's aura negation.
- 1 CP Outflank (Gotta keep them alive)
- 1 CP Keen Senses
- 1-2 CP Morkai's Bolts+Thane
- 1 CP Chaplain Commanding Oratory for +1 Wound (Catechism of Fire)
- Shooting (assuming Tactical doctrine, the -1SP is key here)
- without Morkai: 57 shots (36 boltstorm + 21 Fragstorm), 44.3 hits, 14.8 wounds, 9.85 get past the FNP
- with Morkai: 57 shots, 44.3 hits, 17.2 wounds, 11.5 get past the FNP
- without Morkai: 19 attacks, 15.8 hits, 7.9 wounds (no +1 wound), 5.2 past the FNP
- With Morkai: 19 attacks, 15.8 hits, 9.2 wounds, 6.2 past the FNP
So that's ~17.7 wounds with Morkai, and ~15 wounds without. That's enough to bracket him pretty severely, or with a slight advantage on rolling, killing him outright.
I liked the Aggressors, because they can withstand his rebuttal with Transhuman and 3W, and the 6-man squad can also be combat-squadded for non-DG battles. And if the DG don't come in with Morty, I could just use these guys to delete a flank or a demon prince or 2...
The downside is the Aggressors are 270 points, + 105 for a JP chaplain and a LOT of CP, but that's 375 you're trading for a 500 point model, not to mention that Morty's going to be the key to his strategy and potentially his strong flank.
Any thoughts? What would be your counters?