Dealing with Mortarion

OldWherewolf

As someone that plays both armies looking at the game Tigurius shared the DG player made a huge mistake. You have to be aggressive with Morty or he's a 500 point waste of points that does nothing for you.

Psychological warfare is an unintentional but very real component of this list

The heavy eradicator deterrent and unpredictable LF MM drop pod screw with every opponent

My opponent talked about the eradicators and the null zone psyker all game. He did an orbital bombardment on the eradicators turn 1 to try and make me leave my protective wall. I laughed saying that's a first and he said he never used it before either. Only did 2 mortal wounds.

He sent his LC Terminators after the RP on turn 2 so he could move morty without fear turn 3.

I wiped his Terminators with the eradicators and WG + wolf lord on a counter attack and he had no threats remaining on the left half of a vital intelligence map.

I agree not using morty was a mistake. It let me kill his remaining army with my army so it was 2000 points v 1500 points.

I am curious what happens next time. I have more than enough melta to wipe morty in 1 turn if he is too aggressive. How would the rest of his army react?

If I am being honest and your friend/opponent was looking for advise I would tell him to drop Mortarion completely from a competitive game. He's not worth the points. Three PBCs and at least 10 Blightlord termies on the other hand will chew up anything in the game including Eradicators. I have played a ton of SW vs DG games over the years and Morty just isn't worth his points.

In your list for example you bring enough to kill him especially the null zone. If he's not charging Morty he's a complete waste. As you said it is literally like playing 2000 points vs 1500 with an added kicker: you brought enough heavy shooting to kill Morty. If you can't target Morty then you target everything else and it won't stand up. Even DG can't stand up to that.

I realize this was a tournament but after that game I would have told the DG player that he either needs to play Morty aggro or just drop him. I hate when people make huge tactical mistakes that make the rest of the game basically meaningless like that.

Yes we discussed that in the post game

He said his plan B was reserve morty

I told him morty needs to go in hard or die trying.

You can't ignore morty if he is in your lines.

I have BGV so maybe I could have tarpit morty for a turn but who knows.

I hate PBC and all artillery...screws my ist and style of play hard

I tell every DG they should have 3 PBC especially after the buff to BS3

Completely agree with everything you said. Including you can potentially tarpit Morty as well with tough units like BGV which I love in a SW army. Actually in my Space Shark army too.

3 PBC is mandatory in a competitive DG list. When I play friendly games I have had to drop it to two PBC just to not completely shoot the living hell out of the opponent in a friendly game.

Funny story related to hunting Morty

Played a match against magnus today.

I got my morty killing team in position.

LFs and all eradicators to fire at him with +2 damage bonus on all shots. Failed to get null zone though so he had a 3++

Hit and wounded with 6 MM from LF

He saves 6/6 3++

Hit and wounded with 6 melta from eradicators

He saves 4/6 3++

Uses reroll to make it 5/6

I end up doing 5 total damage to him...

I'm sure there will be games like this against morty as well where the dice just don't go well.

Funny story related to hunting Morty

Played a match against magnus today.

I got my morty killing team in position.

LFs and all eradicators to fire at him with +2 damage bonus on all shots. Failed to get null zone though so he had a 3++

Hit and wounded with 6 MM from LF

He saves 6/6 3++

Hit and wounded with 6 melta from eradicators

He saves 4/6 3++

Uses reroll to make it 5/6

I end up doing 5 total damage to him...

I'm sure there will be games like this against morty as well where the dice just don't go well.

I'd take 3++ over anything Morty has going for him on defense.