2k Catachan Swarm-O'-Dudes

librisrouge

This'll be a long term goal but I've decided to make a swarm of adrenaline and steroids Catachan soldiers. The goal is to drop numbers of dudes with a few required caveats placed upon myself:

• All special characters that aren't Legends must be used
  • At least 1 heavy flamer on a dude must be included (so a command or veteran squad)
  • Any vehicle bigger than a sentinel is forbidden

This was the initial result:

Catachan Brigade:

HQs-

Colonel 'Iron Hand' Straken

Company Commander - Warlord, Chainsword, and Boltgun

Company Commander x2 - Chainsword and Boltgun

Sly Marbo

Troops-

Infantry Squad x6 - Plasmagun and Chainsword

Infantry Squad x6 - Meltagun and Chainsword

Elites-

Command Squad x2 - Heavy Flamer and Flamer x3

Ministorum Priest

Platoon Commander - Chainsword and Boltgun

Sergeant Harker

Special Weapon Squad x2 - Meltagun x3

Fast Attack-

Armored Sentinels - Lascannon x3 and Hunter-Killer Missile x3

Scout Sentinels x2 - Heavy Flamer x3 and Chainsaw (its cool and I have a few points but I'm tempted by more HKMs)

Heavy Support-

Heavy Weapon Squad - Mortars x3

Heavy Weapon Squad x2 - Lascannon x3

Battle Plan-

Some infantry squads, and heavy weapon squads, hang back with an officer or two and hold objectives while plinking away. Straken, Sly, and the remaining infantry will advance and hope to get onto mid-objectives quickly and stay there as long as possible. Scout Sentinels run forward and make a nuisance of themselves, while roasting things. Armored Sentinels pick on the biggest target in the enemy's force and try to cripple/kill/mock them on turn 1 after hiding behind cover on turn 1. Command Squads, special weapons squads, and an officer will outflank and make a 2nd front for folks.

Thoughts?

Fancy seeing you over on the Imperial Guard forums, Mr libisrouge ;) 

The list looks fun and is fluffy to boot - a horde of angry jungle fighters that just want to get to grips with the enemy! I don't know if it would fit in your fluff mindset, but a unit of Bullgryns would de really well as an anchor in this list, something a little tougher that can hold the center of the board against heavier-hitting units while your Infantry swarm around the board and whack heretics, xenos and traitors with S4 lasgun-clubbing goodness. I'm not sure what you might remove to place them in, but even just a 3-man unit could do well. 

Welcome to the Guard!

Ogryn and bullgryn are something I’ve been really thinking about, especially after that ridiculous points drop the received.

Fancy seeing you over on the Imperial Guard forums, Mr libisrouge ;)

Welcome to the Guard!

:D :D :D

Oh, I’ve been here for some time. Years and years. Just never have the time I’d like to to contribute much. Thinking of starting a WIP thread.

Looks cool to me, can handle itself at close quarters if needed.

You definitely need to be aggressive in 9th and with guard fragility you would need to attack in waves, im thinking vox is going to be important for orders.

The only thing that bothers me is lascannon HWTs, they become a juicy prime target for opposing heavy weapons and will die to a stiff breeze. mortars on the other hand can hide and shoot most of the game.

will look very very cool!

observations:

wedded to a brigade? 2x battalion will cost you 3CP... but don't need heavy weapon teams and sentinels.

That would free up points for the bullgryn that you mention? or duplicate the flamer command squads?

Big squads of conscripts do have a value just as a lump of bodies and as chaff are useful and and a pain to clear (and great to put 'take cover on' when they are targeted).