Montgomery 101st all infantry madness

greatcrusade08

The defence of Mitzmanhive, WW2 themed imperial guard city/hive defence force (tech/wargear is limited to theme)

Regimental doctrine: Cadian

command points: 5

Batallion 1:

Colonel John Ryan: (Lord Castellan Creed) warlord

Major Marcus Mitzman: company commander

10 infantry, grenade launcher, missile launcher

Lieutenant Danny Seymour: platoon commander

-shotgun, dagger of Tu'Sakh

Command squad, missile launcher

10 veterans

-heavy flamer, 3 flamers, 5 shotguns

3 heavy weapon teams

-3 mortars

Batallion 2:

Captain Jimmy Warth: company commander

Lord Commissar Fox

20 conscripts

20 conscripts

10 infantry, vox 

10 infantry, vox

10 infantry, vox, grenade launcher

10 infantry, grenade launcher

10 veterans

-3 grenade launcher, missile launcher

3 heavy weapon teams

-3 mortars

Batallion 3:

Captain Nicholas Sheppard: company commander

Lord Commissar Harper

20 conscripts

20 conscripts

10 infantry, vox 

10 infantry, vox

10 infantry, vox, grenade launcher

10 infantry, grenade launcher

10 veterans

-3 grenade launcher, missile launcher

3 heavy weapon teams

-3 mortars

organised into 3 waves and a firebase

wave one: 80 conscripts and commissars, run forward score objectives and die turns 1/2

wave two: 40 infantry with vox for orders, score, shoot and die, infiltrating flame vets cause a nuisance, steal an objective 

wave three: 40 infantry with vox/grenade launchers, veteran teams

firebase: 4 infantry squads with grenade launchers and missile launchers, mortars and command squads HWTs

It certainly has enough bodies, that is for sure. I like it. I do worry about your ability to deal with armor or high T targets. You seem mostly limited to 8 missile launchers that are scattered around 8 squads. This will probably limit your ability to boost them with orders and, even then, they'll struggle if you go up against a monster based 'nid list or knights or somesuch. Grenade launchers will be nearly useless against such things.

I know you're going for some kind of low tech theme but consider working in some meltaguns into the infantry squads. Modeling them as low tech welding gear would work, in my opinion.

It certainly has enough bodies, that is for sure. I like it. I do worry about your ability to deal with armor or high T targets. You seem mostly limited to 8 missile launchers that are scattered around 8 squads. This will probably limit your ability to boost them with orders and, even then, they'll struggle if you go up against a monster based 'nid list or knights or somesuch. Grenade launchers will be nearly useless against such things.

I know you're going for some kind of low tech theme but consider working in some meltaguns into the infantry squads. Modeling them as low tech welding gear would work, in my opinion.

You have a point for sure. I think if it becomes a serious issue i can probably proxy for friendly games until i can figure out a thematic alternative, welding gear sounds cool. GLs are the same points in generic squads as meltas and plasma which is a bit daft, but then GW has proven it doesnt know how to point IG.

I really want to try the massed GL approach for a bit, i just have a feeling in numbers they can be useful, gunna need 4s or 5s to wound big targets sure, but AP-1 and D3 damage is ok if you have enough of them, same principle as lasguns i guess, strats like experienced eye and orders like bring it down can help mitigate a bit.

I dunno i guess i just like a challenge :p

welcome to the footguard madness! 

Some matchplay observations to reflect on.

3 battalions is 6CP of your 12 starting. Expensive.

You could bump the conscripts to units of 30 - which would allow you to get 4 infantry squads less (assuming you put the bodies from the infantry squads into conscripts). This would be 12 slots and would fit into one extra battalion.

or... you could get the 12 troops into one battalion. Looking at what you have you'd need to find 3 fast attacks to make that work (sentinalx3 cheapest option 105pts) but dropping the lord commissars would cover lots of that.

That would be:

HQ:

Creed

3x Company Commander

TROOPS:

12 troops (8 infantry (80), 4 conscripts (120)

3x HWT

3x Vets

3xfast attack (sentinels)

You would then have double the CP to start with

yeah CP was a massive concern, i had been playing with ways to squeeze into just two batallions, i still may play around with that idea.

Creed does grant us two CP back though which is handy.

Its a shame there are no infantry options for FA, otherwise a brigade would do nicely, im hoping the next codex brings back platoon builds

Edited by greatcrusade08

Creed does grant us two CP back though which is handy.

Oh yeah - good point - i completely forgot that (I've moved away from Cadian in 9th due to movement onto midboard being critical especially for scoring with footguard)

Its a shame there are no infantry options for FA, otherwise a brigade would do nicely, im hoping the next codex brings back platoon builds

I know - ironically guard fast attack are being taken in mixed imperium lists as Death Korp! example here Competitive Innovations in 9th: Objective Secured Perth GT – Goonhammer

welcome to the footguard madness! 

Some matchplay observations to reflect on.

3 battalions is 6CP of your 12 starting. Expensive.

You could bump the conscripts to units of 30 - which would allow you to get 4 infantry squads less (assuming you put the bodies from the infantry squads into conscripts). This would be 12 slots and would fit into one extra battalion.

or... you could get the 12 troops into one battalion. Looking at what you have you'd need to find 3 fast attacks to make that work (sentinalx3 cheapest option 105pts) but dropping the lord commissars would cover lots of that.

That would be:

HQ:

Creed

3x Company Commander

TROOPS:

12 troops (8 infantry (80), 4 conscripts (120)

3x HWT

3x Vets

3xfast attack (sentinels)

You would then have double the CP to start with

Ive just realised how id do this. armoured sentinels could be pillboxes/fortified emplacements, put them in cover, leave them there

I’m with you in hoping for the guard change.

Another option is 2 battalions and a patrol. If you squeeze the infantry squads with nothing in them into the conscripts. Or, there’s currently 80 conscripts, that’s 2 full squads (60) and 20 remaining.

Nevermind, I don’t think a patrol is enough troop spots. With as many conscripts as you have, you should try a game with a commissar as a warlord to order a full 30 man conscript squad. Just to see if you like it.

Overal, I like the list, I think the limited CP is the cost we have to pay to have commanding presence on the board. I think some heavy bolters or auto cannons might be useful while still fitting the theme.

I too hope that the next codex gives us a new fast attack infantry. I also hope we get the ability to take more heavy weapons teams, then they wouldn’t feel like a throw away if you take something other than mortars.

I’m with you in hoping for the guard change.

Another option is 2 battalions and a patrol. If you squeeze the infantry squads with nothing in them into the conscripts. Or, there’s currently 80 conscripts, that’s 2 full squads (60) and 20 remaining.

Nevermind, I don’t think a patrol is enough troop spots. With as many conscripts as you have, you should try a game with a commissar as a warlord to order a full 30 man conscript squad. Just to see if you like it.

Overal, I like the list, I think the limited CP is the cost we have to pay to have commanding presence on the board. I think some heavy bolters or auto cannons might be useful while still fitting the theme.

I too hope that the next codex gives us a new fast attack infantry. I also hope we get the ability to take more heavy weapons teams, then they wouldn’t feel like a throw away if you take something other than mortars.

i have built a creed brigade list, that lets me start game with 13 CP, ill post in a mo. definitely worth doing to get more strats in game

I had considered a commanding commisar for the conscripts, but tbh i suspect they will all run forward score an objective and then die anyway. I did have an idea to use a CP to combine two 30 man conscript squads and then order them to FRFSRF for 240 shots. 

I really like HBs , would like to run them in vet sqauds so they can move and fire if needed. at the moment most hWTs are ML to cope with the lack of anti tank, if we could get more HWTS id definately run more and put the HBS in

Brigade

company commander: laurels of command

company commander

company commander

Creed: warlord

30 conscripts

30 conscripts

30 conscripts

30 conscripts

infantry squad with grenade launcher

infantry squad with grenade launcher and missile launcher

command squad with missile launcher

platoon commander with shotgun and dagger of Tu'Sakh

veteran squad with heavy flamer and 3 flamer

veteran squad with 3 grenade launcher

veteran squad with 3 grenade launcher

armored sentinel with autocannon (entrenched HWT)

heavy weapons team with 3 mortars

Creed is great for the extra orders and the CP - wonder how/if he will be reimagined for 9th - sculpt is getting on a bit too!

Might want to reflect on where missile launchers are - for example for no points change could shift them over to vet squads getting BS3 - depends on you plan for using them.

Looks a bit light on antitank as you say. 

Good look painting it up - i'm slowly chipping away at mine!

yeah i had ML squads in with vets originally, but had to chip away points, figured with 3 GL they still pose a small anti tank threat and can still advance with second wave.

the alternative is to drop a commander and get the extra 2 ML