The recent Deathwatch Recruitment Thread has shown there is an acute interest in taking part in play-by-post games here on the Bolter and Chainsword. That's intensely gratifying - and to me, I think it demonstrates that we can sustain multiple games here.

This thread is intended to serve as a resource both for players looking to join a game, as well as GMs looking to recruit.

This is not really designed for conversations - if you find enough players looking for a specific game, start a new thread and PM them to join.

Name:

Interested in Playing:
Dark Heresy 1st Edition / Dark Heresy 2nd Edition / Rogue Trader / Deathwatch / Only War / Black Crusade / Wrath & Glory / Other

Knowledge/Experience of Rules:
Have you played in campaigns before? Do you own the rules? Are you familiar with the rules?

Other Pertinent Information:
You might consider here notes on your availability; on your 40k interest, armies and hobbies; or anything else you'd like other forum members to know.

You might consider thinking about

, as this might help you think about the style of game you'd like to participate in. Edited by Commissar Molotov

Name: Commissar Molotov

Interested in Playing:

- Dark Heresy (1st Edition preferably)

Most of my RPG experience for the last few years has (obviously) been with Deathwatch, but I feel that I would be relatively proficient with the rules (even if I expect everyone to have Unnatural Toughness and shrug off bolter wounds..!)

I have a great affinity for the Inquisition and have participated in the INQ28 community for many years. I would particularly enjoy games with a narrative / investigative element, with a (relatively) low rate of mortality. I see the Eisenhorn series as a touchstone and would enjoy to play in a similarly-styled game.

Name:

Petragor, you can see my nametag can't you?

Interested in Playing:
Any Warhammer 40k system really, 

I have played in plenty of FFG groups, so I have a firm grasp on those rules, and good lore knowledge as well if I do say so myself. I haven't played W&G before, but I'm willing to learn.

I like Adeptus Mechanicus and Orks in particular, but I'm open to offers of campaigns involving any factions, be they Imperium, Chaos or Xenos.

As for player type, I am kind of a Metagamer, though I still try my best when it comes to roleplaying, because that's fun too.

Name: Lysimachus

Interested in Playing:

Deathwatch, would be cool with having a go at Dark Heresy too as I'm a big fan of Inq28/Imunda

Just got DW and RoB, started reading through so my knowledge is limited and my exp is zero!

Been into 40k for the best part of 30 years, I'm more into the fluff than gaming. I like creating DIY Chapters, Warbands, etc and have a few in the Liber Showcase.

I've not played RPG so I couldn't say for sure, but I guess I'd describe myself as (mostly) a storyteller type?

Name: Komrk

Interested in Playing:

Deathwatch, Black Crusade, Only War, Wrath & Glory

Knowledge/Experience:

I’ve both played and run in Only War Campaigns and have reviewed and own the rules for the rest of the games I mentioned.

Other pertinent information:

I’ve been in the 40k hobby in one aspect or another for the last 10 years and RPGs for the last 8 years. I’ve always enjoyed both the gameplay and story elements of both hobbies.

Name: Troakir

Interested in Playing:
Anything I guess, I have no rules knowledge of any of the 40k related RPGs

I do not know the rules and have very very little RPG experience, but I like to think I have good lore knowledge after being in the hobby for a long long time.

I have a strong Mechanicum leaning with several of my 40k Tabletop armies being Mech influenced/converted. I also read a lot of Warhammer books with favorites such as Eisenhorn and Co.

As my RPG experience is limited I guess I am a fluff influenced player as that is how I play my 40k/30k and so on.

Name: AT

Interested in Playing:
- Dark Heresy (1st Edition), Rogue Trader (never had a RT game last much beyond character creation)

Strongly familiar with the various 1st ed rulesets up to Black Crusade. Still have to look up the specifics (particularly as they seem to change between each version of the game and I often forget which variant applies to which).

I enjoy the narrative games but am not the best at writing them either as DM or player - most rping over the years has been face to face where play is spontaneous and relatively unplanned.

Name: Komrade_Atomic

Interested in Playing:

Dark Heresy 1st Edition / Rogue Trader / Deathwatch / Only War / Wrath & Glory 

I will be frank, I've never played an FFG 40k game, but I have a somewhat decent idea of the rules and have played rpg's before, and I'm willing to learn!

I am mostly a fan of Imperial Factions (especially the guard), but I'd be happy to play as a Xeno! I'll try and respond as quickly as I can to posts and comments, but will take only a little time with RP Posts to ensure good quality!

Edited by Komrade_Atomic

Name: Necronaut

Interested in Playing:
Black Crusade, Deathwatch, Only War

Knowledge/experience of rules:
Experienced Black Crusade and Only War player; have wanted to get into Deathwatch for a long time.

Pertinent Infos:
I'm a great lover of the 40K fluff, particularly of the myriad Chaos factions, but also of the loyalist Astartes (esp. the extended Blood Angels family of chapters). My first introduction to 40K was the Death Company, and later the LotD, so dress it in black and put loads of skulls on it and I'm there. I can respond quickly with high quality RP for the PBP stuff, and will ham it up for the general amusement of all involved.

Edited by Necronaut

Name: Steel Company

Interested in Playing:

Dark Heresy (1st or 2ed) / Black Crusade / Only War / Rogue Trader / Deathwatch (of course!) / Wrath & Glory (but I've never touched this one)

Knowledge/Experience of rules:

Good foundation of several FFG RPG's, I've run most, played some... but I'm a quick study on rules and have a talent for untangling knotted up rules.

Other pertinent Information:

I've been involved with WH40k since 3rd edition of the miniatures game, but due to life I don't have a ton of time to play that anymore. I am a huge lover of fluff and lore and being an aspiring writer the PBP games are fantastic way for me to find an outlet for my creative side.

Name: 'Tech', 'TechCaptain', 'Drake' are all Alias I use

Interested in Playing:

Dark Heresy 2nd Edition / Rogue Trader / Deathwatch / Only War / Black Crusade / Wrath & Glory / Other I am pretty much up for Anything but especially interested in Only War.

Very limited experience in the proper use of FFG rules and none at all for Wrath and Glory. However I have been a RPer for over a decade and a half. I have played D&D since 2nd Edition, Played on the old SteelSings RP, Naruto Forum RP, Several Chat RPs, DDO, etc.

I have been a Warhammer 40k hobbyist for nearly a decade and I am a former member of the US Military. I play most of the video games and collect Admech, Inquisition, Space Marines, and Astra Militarum. Ishtar Subsector near the Hadex Anomaly is my homebrew Subsector where a majority of my armies and concepts are placed. I finded doing RPs like this is a great way to expand their story and lore with the help of the community. I have a weird schedule for availability due to my current profession as a Aerospace Engineer.

Name:  Xin Ceithan

Interested in Playing

Deathwatch, Black Crusade, Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Wrath and Glory

- In no particularly order. I like the narrative first approach and would go for an interesting story over any system any day 

Knowledge / Experience of Rules

I own all of the above, but I tend to read fluff more these days than rules. As a GM, I have run Dark Heresy, ran a series of interconnected adventures following a Krew of Freebooters across the Hundred Hundred Teeth in RT and got in over my head trying to run a Black Crusade game set in the Legion Wars.

Other pertinent information 

The taint of Chaos dragged into the grim dark future with 2nd edition and I have never looked back. There is something about using the wrongness of the warp for all the right reasons that remains compelling and I always struggle not to have everything going towards the dark powers in the end. Which maybe is the essence of 40K in the end anyway ;)

I enjoy world building and will gladly respond to anyone willing bring in my over excited fanboy enthusiasm to their creations.

I am always interested in filling in the gaps and especially a peak at the non Imperial side of the story for the sake of the narrative. I’d love to see a game that has players on both the imperial side and the chaos /  xenos opposition - not in a direct pvp confrontation but involved in the same story.

Sadly, my enthusiasm greatly outstrips my abilities - I am in healthcare at a small local hospital and it has often been long hours.

Even before the pandemic. I was also diagnosed with a degenerative eye defect recently and screentime/ visual work such as reading can be  straining. But I fully intend to make the most of my hobby time and managed to keep up with Commissar Molotov’s DW game over the last, amazing three years. 

• 2 weeks later...

Name: Vorsicht Glas

Interested in Playing:
Dark Heresy 1st Edition / Dark Heresy 2nd Edition / Rogue Trader / Deathwatch / Only War / Wrath & Glory

I've played all of the above a some point in my life except Deathwatch. I have the most experience with Dark Heresy 1e and Rogue Trader.

My first contact to 40k was the starter box for 3rd edition. Although the miniature game never did it for me, i stayed for the lore.

• 1 year later...

Name: Beboopbop

Interested in Playing: Black Crusade / Wrath & Glory

I have played in a Wrath and Glory campaign before and i am familiar with the rules. Black Crusade i have not played. For WNG i have every rulebook in pdf form, and i have the core rules, and tomes of fate, excess, blood and decay (that might be every book? not sure tbh)

Timezone is GMT+1. 

• 1 month later...

Name: Schoon

Interested in Playing: I'm most interested in running/playing Wrath & Glory, but I might be tempted to play another set of 40KRPG rules for a compelling story

Knowledge/Experience of Rules: I am familiar with all editions of 40K's RPGs, though the farther back in time/edition you go, the more my memory fades

Other Pertinent Information: I prefer to run/play a story-driven and/or narrative game, and am not inclined towards rules crunchiness. And while I know that Marine-based games are very popular, I have very little interest there (I'm a 21-year USMC vet and military-based campaigns just don't do it for me). That said, Inquisitorial Acolytes, Mid-Hive freelancers, Mechanicus-led Questor teams, and any number of other fabulous 40K genres work just fine!

• 4 months later...

Name: Kelborn

Interested in Playing:

Dark Heresy (1st or 2ed) / Black Crusade / Only War / Rogue Trader / Deathwatch / Wrath & Glory

Knowledge/Experience of rules:

Unfortunately none. Never found a group wether in rl nor online to play with. Nonetheless, except from a few adventure modules I got alle necessary books either in pdf or paper format and I'm willing to dive into this topic.

Other pertinent Information:

I discovered Warhammer thanks to Dawn of War, McNeils Ventris and Kings Ragnar series. Since then, I've dived deeper into the rabbit whole of 40K. Although I don't have the time to play or paint (still got my birthday present of an AoS starter box right here sadly unpainted) but I'm a huge lover of fluff and lore wether via novels or codices/ campaign books. 

I hope that this format turns out to be another great way (aside from the Liber section) of expressing ideas and improve my personal writing skills.

• 4 months later...

Name: Valkenhayn

Interested in Playing: ALL

Knowledge/Experience of Rules: I've played in some DH2 and Only War, and own digital copies of Black Crusade, Death Watch, and Only War. Willing to buy copies of any others if need be.

Other Pertinent Information: My first army was Black Templars, and I remain a BT player at heart. Crusaders, Priests, or Lawmen are my favorite archetypes, and STR then WIL are my favorite stats. I have lots of experience across many RPGs, and love every chance I get to be dumb muscle. Unfortunately in my regular play groups I often get pushed into leadership positions, and so rarely get to be a bruiser.

Also, I'm completely blind in real life. This isn't usually a problem in spoken games where a couple of quick questions can describe a battle map, but I've never tried text RP that included maps. I'm hoping it won't be a problem, as with a good description of the situation I can probably do fine, but it isn't the sort of thing I'd like to surprise a group with after I join them. If the game doesn't use maps then it likely wouldn't ever come up.

• 6 months later...

Hi there, I'm not sure if any of this is really still active but I have been craving some more active 40k pbp action, so I wanted to put my name out :)

Name: AbstractCloud

Interested in Playing:
Black Crusade mainly! Other games would be fun as well, but I very much enjoy the flexibility of Black Crusade - plus I love corruption and chaos.

I have access to the rules for all the 40k rpgs, and have quite a bit of experience in other forum based PBP games with Black Crusade, Dark Heresy 1e, and Dark Heresy 2e. I have played in quite a lot of PBP games of various rulesets, Warhammer and non-warhammer. I currently run a PBP D&D 5e game and play in quite a few others.

I am able to post relatively frequently, at least 2-3 times per day if that is the pace of the game I'm in! I don't currently play the 40k tabletop game, but I have previously owned Dark Eldar and Chaos Daemons, before it became a bit too expensive for me to regularly participate in. I love TTRPG's of all stripes, and am an avid writer in my spare time of quite a bit of my own content for RPGs. 

I hope to join a game on here at some point, though it looks like only a couple are active at the moment. Regardless, I'll keep my eye on things! 

Welcome

We have two games on a go at the moment; both are a bit slower paced on account of busy lives and such. Feel free to have a look around.

Check in once in a while to see if anybody is starting a game and looking for players, or if you feel up to it start your own game.  

A warm welcome to the PBP subforum! (and the B+C in general!) :thumbsup:

It certainly sounds like you know what you're doing! As Tro said, if you can't get in on a current game, you could always throw out some ideas for your own and see who bites?

4 hours ago, AbstractCloud said:

I am able to post relatively frequently, at least 2-3 times per day if that is the pace of the game I'm in!

Blimey, you make me look slow (and according to the other Fraters around here, apparently that's unusual! :laugh::laugh::laugh:)

Thank you both for the welcome! 

I definitely don't have the mental space to run a game of my own at the moment but I'll certainly be keeping an eye out in case one of the current ones has open space available at some point! Or if a new one starts up. 

3 hours ago, Lysimachus said:

Blimey, you make me look slow (and according to the other Fraters around here, apparently that's unusual! :laugh::laugh::laugh:)

I am lucky enough to have a job that gives me a lot of free time during the work day to post in stuff like this.:laugh: