Death Guard Combos

jgascoine011

Trying to be a bit more positive about the new codex, and looking at any cool combos so if you have any ideas please comment.

The one i am seeing is actually the grenade stratagem still being actually very good.

So before 10 PM would put out on average 35 grenades, with around 22 hitting (before re-rolls).

With the biologus this would be at S4 AP- D2 but 6s cause mortal wounds.

So now, you still take 10 PM and give them 2 BL and 3 Plasma Guns.

That unit with the biolgous puts out between 19-24 S4 AP-1 D2 shots and 3 fire grenades and pistols, and 1 actually throws a grenade.

However, take a tallyman with the relic and 6s explode. So say the average is 21 shots, that is around 18 hits. But you still have an extra 4 S6 AP-2 D2 shots and 6 S8 AP-3 D2 shots. Oh and an extra 4 S4 AP- D1 shots.

So my plan would be to put the 10 PM, tallyman, and biolous (with arch contaminator) in a termite drill

Deepstrike in a LoC (I would give him the Innoxerable WLT) and cast the +6" to contagion aura on him.

Spend 4CP for +1 to wound, increase plague weapons by 6", and the grenade stratagem.

For a minimum of 4 S4 AP-1 D1 shots, 19 S4 AP-2 D2, 4 S6 AP-3 D2 shots, 6 S8 AP-4 D2 shots, with 6s exploding, re-rolling 1s to hit, and re-rolling wounds, all the while the enemy is -1T. Oh an also any shots from the characters. Oh and plus the 5 melta shots from the termite

It may be hard to fit around the characters, but you could deepstrike in 10 terminators and give them plague weapons and spend 2 CP for plague bolters and +1 to hit, for an additional 40 S4 AP-1 D1 shots, 6s exploding, hitting on 2s, re-rolling 1's to hit and wound.

As long as you can get the off the power and get the LoC within 12" of as many units as possible well, things are going to die

I like the idea of the grenade combo, but I need to see exact wording of several things before I make up my mind. The thing that intrigues me is they become Pistol 6 that auto hit (if I’m not mistaken). That’s 18 auto hits in the shooting phase while in engagement range, that with the other buffs/strats can free them up to make a new charge.

Sounds efficient. You invest a lot in such an Alpha Strike though, but if enemy target is valuable enough, then it is probably a good set up. The termite bursting out of the ground and unleashing the plague followers will certainly surely hit a target very, very hard. But it is a very large investment in points to strike on one location.

I think DG Possessed might be overlooked here.

With S5 T5 4A base, along with Movement 7" and AP-2 Plague Weapons in melee, these guys can blender with the right buffs.

For example, you can get them up to S6 and T6 with Psychic Powers, use a Strat to make any 6s to wound AP-4, use the "Arch Contaminator" WL Trait on a nearby character to give them full rerolls to wound, and use a Strat to give them +1 to Wound. Oh, and you can get them hitting on WS2+ as well!

So, a unit of 10 can put out 40 x S6 AP-2 Dmg 1 attacks with WS2+, rerolls of 1s to hit, +1 to wound and full rerolls to wound, and 6s to wound going to AP-4. If this unit had to fight an Imperial Knight, it could reliably put 20 wounds on it in a single fight phase... less tough opponents would just get steam rolled (i.e. they could kill an average of 6-7 Blade Guard Veterans in a single turn).

Edited by L30n1d4s

Majkhel in the BA forum found this:

A word of advice (not from me, but one of my local rules-nerds) - watch out for Bilghtspawn's Revolting Stench ability. Apparently it can now be increased to 12" for a CP. It forces your units to be activated as if they were not charging. I don't think it turns-off our Shock Assault, +1 to wound roll , etc., but it does mean your chargers within range will get hit before they hit themselves.

I may have missed this.  Revolting strench is now only 3" and can be increased either by the Vats relic or the Fugaris helm - which is a max of 6".  I'm not sure where they get other Aura boosts ! 

I dug some and if DG take the FERRYMEN company rules, then for 1CP they can select a Ferrymen Foetind Virion model (which can be Foul Blightspawn) to increase his aura ability +6" (up to a maximum of 12"). If that Blightspawn got the Revolting Stench Vats relic (making his ability a 6" Aura) it suddenly becomes a really nasty 12" aura. 

Another thing is that according to the way the Revolting Stench Vats is worded, while an enemy units is within range of the aura, it "never counts as having made a charge move this turn (!!), irrespective of any abilities it may have"
So my colleague is arguing that it does indeed turns-off shock assault and our +1 to wound roll.... 

That surely was not intended by GW, but the wording seems (disgustingly) clear as it is.

Many reactionaries thought BA were super strong, but DG pretty much has all BA's bonuses to themselves, and can pretty easily shut down anything BA can throw at them.

From my point of view, DG are looking very strong. 

Well 1 combo that I'm going to try out is dropping a unit of deathshroud with chimes and a LOC near the enemy. This gives you two things - a 9'' -1T aura in the 2nd battle round and the possibility to use flash outbreak - creating a 9'' bubble around the LOC with let's say halving movement or no cover saves. I still have to see the exact wording but it seems strong. Especially if you make the charge after DS. You can just destroy your enemies' plans whith the droning while you secure the midfield, or make your shooting hit harder by depriving them of cover.

Well 1 combo that I'm going to try out is dropping a unit of deathshroud with chimes and a LOC near the enemy. This gives you two things - a 9'' -1T aura in the 2nd battle round and the possibility to use flash outbreak - creating a 9'' bubble around the LOC with let's say halving movement or no cover saves. I still have to see the exact wording but it seems strong. Especially if you make the charge after DS. You can just destroy your enemies' plans whith the droning while you secure the midfield, or make your shooting hit harder by depriving them of cover.

It doesnt really work. Turn 2 would give you a 6" aura and if you deepstrike in you cant use Flash Outbreak as its in the command phase (and would only push you to a 9" aura anyway). The only way you could do it is with the psychic power which would give you a 12" contagion range.

Majkhel in the BA forum found this:

A word of advice (not from me, but one of my local rules-nerds) - watch out for Bilghtspawn's Revolting Stench ability. Apparently it can now be increased to 12" for a CP. It forces your units to be activated as if they were not charging. I don't think it turns-off our Shock Assault, +1 to wound roll , etc., but it does mean your chargers within range will get hit before they hit themselves.

I may have missed this.  Revolting strench is now only 3" and can be increased either by the Vats relic or the Fugaris helm - which is a max of 6".  I'm not sure where they get other Aura boosts ! 

I dug some and if DG take the FERRYMEN company rules, then for 1CP they can select a Ferrymen Foetind Virion model (which can be Foul Blightspawn) to increase his aura ability +6" (up to a maximum of 12"). If that Blightspawn got the Revolting Stench Vats relic (making his ability a 6" Aura) it suddenly becomes a really nasty 12" aura. 

Another thing is that according to the way the Revolting Stench Vats is worded, while an enemy units is within range of the aura, it "never counts as having made a charge move this turn (!!), irrespective of any abilities it may have"

So my colleague is arguing that it does indeed turns-off shock assault and our +1 to wound roll.... 

That surely was not intended by GW, but the wording seems (disgustingly) clear as it is.

Many reactionaries thought BA were super strong, but DG pretty much has all BA's bonuses to themselves, and can pretty easily shut down anything BA can throw at them.

From my point of view, DG are looking very strong. 

Well the "fight last" ability from the blightspawn is not an aura, so would not benefit from the helm.

The "Dont count as charging" relic you can give him is an aura, and so would benfit from drouning wings. It does also prevent shock assault etc.

Thats quite interesting. A 12" aura of dount count as charging.

I think DG Possessed might be overlooked here.

With S5 T5 4A base, along with Movement 7" and AP-2 Plague Weapons in melee, these guys can blender with the right buffs.

For example, you can get them up to S6 and T6 with Psychic Powers, use a Strat to make any 6s to wound AP-4, use the "Arch Contaminator" WL Trait on a nearby character to give them full rerolls to wound, and use a Strat to give them +1 to Wound. Oh, and you can get them hitting on WS2+ as well!

So, a unit of 10 can put out 40 x S6 AP-2 Dmg 1 attacks with WS2+, rerolls of 1s to hit, +1 to wound and full rerolls to wound, and 6s to wound going to AP-4. If this unit had to fight an Imperial Knight, it could reliably put 20 wounds on it in a single fight phase... less tough opponents would just get steam rolled (i.e. they could kill an average of 6-7 Blade Guard Veterans in a single turn).

Yea, possessed are looking very stong and are also a good choice for cloud of flies.

If running them I would take a tallyman for +1 to hit, and a putrifier for MW on 6s, with arch contaminator on one of them

Edited by jgascoine011

Something else to consider is the Blightbringer adds +1 move/advance to Possessed.

Yeah, been considering this myself, although I would use it with Blightlords since I don't own possessed, but an 8 Inch move followed by advance makes the Possessed run fast enough not to really need a rhino at all in most scenarios (which means that the silly "can't fit our mutations inside a rhino and only 5 of us can be in a big land raider" isn't much of a problem).

It is not really a combo though, but for general utility the Noxious Bligthbringer is better than perhaps one would think at first glance, since he reliably gives our Astartes infantry 6 Inch move ad push Possessed to 8 inches.

Edited by Iron Sage

Got my book this morning.

Here's two little combos I like:

Lets call this one "vomit of death"

10 man DG unit with 2 plague spewers and 2 plague belchers

Mortarion's Choosen Sons company strat to turn these into 2d

Overwhelming generosity strat to add 6" to plague weapons

Lets call this one "something nasty on my shoe"

A fast unit like a drone

Flash Outbreak strat, gain the contagion of another model and counts as a turn higher for contagion range

Works well with The Inexorable war lord trait to give all your army's weapons +1 AP within probably 6" of the drone. Very cool with The Wretched's WL trait to get auto wounds on 6 to hit for the same radius. And of course it gets the Droning up in their face.

My combo: WLT Eater Plague (contagion): 6’s to hit auto wound. Spend 2CP on Flash Outbreak (gives one unit all the contagions on the battlefield for a turn) for your Poxwalkers. Spend a CP on Mutant Strain (6’s do MW) and all 6’s do MW and auto wound your target. You may roll some 1’s, but most likely you are getting those Poxwalkers back. Edited by McElMcNinja

Mutant strain is a great stratagem and it's the reason I think most lists should have 2-3 blobs of maxed poxwalkers just advancing up the field. If a full squad connects then you deal an average of 6 MWs, which means they can put a dent in most things - 3 dead marines or finising of a vechicle. The most important thing is to not care if they die. They are there to die.

If you are harbingers then 20 poxwalkers using mutant strain and wrathful dead give you and average of 9 mortal wounds. That's transport killing potential there. It also means your 100point unit can wipe a 5 man space marine squad with minimal losses - you lose 6 from mutant strain but wipe the marines so get 5 poxwalkers back.

One I noticed:

DG Contemptors are CORE, as are Helbrutes. Tollkeeper on a Tallyman in the middle to babysit 3 of each, set up to throw out a huge amount of dakka (Twin Heavy bolters, Volkite on the Contemptors, etc.) possibly with a second Tallyman and Lord nearby for further enhancements.  Exploding 6's all over the place on heavy guns, some of which will be hitting on 2's, rerolling 1's. You could add 1 unit of Deathshrouds to keep the characters safe and act as counter charge and the whole thing becomes an interesting moving castle, with room for Poxwalkers and other items to play the objective game.

Edited by GreaterChickenofTzeentch

One I noticed:

DG Contemptors are CORE, as are Helbrutes. Tollkeeper on a Tallyman in the middle to babysit 3 of each, set up to throw out a huge amount of dakka (Twin Heavy bolters, Volkite on the Contemptors, etc.) possibly with a second Tallyman and Lord nearby for further enhancements.  Exploding 6's all over the place on heavy guns, some of which will be hitting on 2's, rerolling 1's. You could add 1 unit of Deathshrouds to keep the characters safe and act as counter charge and the whole thing becomes an interesting moving castle, with room for Poxwalkers and other items to play the objective game.

Thats a pretty good 

One I noticed:

Thats a pretty good 

As a note, a Blightbringer would benefit everyone there except any Lord you brought because he gives his bonus to all CORE and FOETID VIRION units. Contemptors and Brutes with more movement could be nice.

Another one I haven't seen here, but has been mentioned on some of the YouTube videos I have seen, is taking the "Living Plague" WL Trait (3" aura of no rerolls for enemy units), add in "Fugaris Helm" relic to increase aura range by 3" (up to 6" total), and then use the Ferrymen Strat "On Droning Wings" to increase it another 6" (so 12" total aura range).

A model with a 12" aura of no rerolls can completely shut down the offensive "bite" of many armies, making a 24" bubble on the Tabletop a "force multiplier wasteland" for you opponent, especially potent considering that DG will still be getting all their own buffs and rerolls within that same section of the board.

Malicious Volley has been leaked by GW themselves, so Bolter and Chainsword's ill will towards rule fishing should therefore not apply (mods sometimes get really cranky when you phrase a question like that after a codex has been released). So no,that's for Rapid Fire bolt weapons unfortunately.