Death Guard Combos

jgascoine011

Malicious Volley has been leaked by GW themselves, so Bolter and Chainsword's ill will towards rule fishing should therefore not apply (mods sometimes get really cranky when you phrase a question like that after a codex has been released). So no,that's for Rapid Fire bolt weapons unfortunately.

That wasn't for Malicious Volleys, but got my answer, so thanks all. Not going to discuss it futher in case it might break some kind of rule.

Back to combos, it might actually be reasonable to use 2 Tallymen. Each could tally for a separate unit and you could get 2 chances per Command Phase to get a CP (but of course not more than one). More than that doesn't seem viable, but could be interesting.

More Tallyman nonsense: He and the other FOETID VIRION members seem like good targets for The Blightening, since they can fire their Pistols and use the Pistol version of grenades that they get with the Blightening at the same time, since models with multiple Pistols can fire them at the same time. Not world shaking, but a neat trick to use on your own turn after the characters intervened last turn when your lines were charged.

On the Contemptor/Helbrute front again, they're also a target for Haze of Corruption to do things like sweeping a Contemptor Chainfist through multiple models.

Sorry, I didnt mean to be a dick. Just saw a moderator lock a thread elsewhere on the forum not long ago due to rules fishing. And I remember I got a warning from Minigun myself many years ago for something along those lines (though not entirely similar). Bolter and C used to take the copyright stuff very strictly, but I have mostly been inactive for many years so dont know how mods tends to react now. I just don't want anyone to get in trouble, thats all. Usually, you are allowed to basically talk and ask about whatever and everything as long as a codex is not out and it counts as leaks and rumours, but that tends to change when a dex is actually out for sale.

Anyway, I though you meant Malicious volley but Jgascoine helped you already so all good I hope.

Anyway. Blood of kittens have a decent summary of the rules, but admittedly not the entire codex.

Again sorry, I am not a mod and didnt mean to "play one". Hope you got your answers.

Anyway, I though you meant Malicious volley but Jgascoine helped you already so all good I hope.

Anyway. Blood of kittens have a decent summary of the rules, but admittedly not the entire codex.

Again sorry, I am not a mod and didnt mean to "play one". Hope you got your answers.

Not a problem. I didn't think you were doing anything other than trying to help.

So looking through the FW book the greater blight Drone doesn't actually have the Contagion rule but weirdly enough still has the Nurgle's gift rule which is the -1T anyways? A rather annoying loyalist marines player from my club is claiming since it's doesn't have the actual contagion rule it doesn't count and won't have the -1T does that seem right

How does it work since its not the actual contagion rule it has?

Edited by Plaguecaster

So looking through the FW book the greater blight Drone doesn't actually have the Contagion rule but weirdly enough still has the Nurgle's gift rule which is the -1T anyways? A rather annoying loyalist marines player from my club is claiming since it's doesn't have the actual contagion rule it doesn't count and won't have the -1T does that seem right

Its kind of up in the air if they get the -1T. Well they do get the -1T but technically they dont actually get the contagion rule and so dont have the aura. This is obviosly an oversight but as its an OOP model, i would expect an FAQ to correct this in about 5-6 years time.

However it is honestly total crap rules wise, so if you are using it your opponent should be greatful that you are using it and allow you to get the -1T. If he doesnt then yea he is kind of a dick and probably not fun to play against

Its kind of up in the air if they get the -1T. Well they do get the -1T but technically they dont actually get the contagion rule and so dont have the aura. This is obviosly an oversight but as its an OOP model, i would expect an FAQ to correct this in about 5-6 years time.

However it is honestly total crap rules wise, so if you are using it your opponent should be greatful that you are using it and allow you to get the -1T. If he doesnt then yea he is kind of a dick and probably not fun to play against

But I don't understand why

Contagions of Nurgle is written that "if every unit from your army has the DEATH GUARD Keyword it gains the following ability NURGLE'S GIFT" greater blight Drone has Nurgle's gift so doesn't matter if has contagion as an actual rule it gains all the benefits of Nurgles gift regardless hell one could argue RAW that since it has Nurgle's gift it will still have that rule in a non DG army so will still have the -1T

"Ackchyually" yeah, it means that RAW the Greeater Blight Drone has always "Nurgle's gift" on, even if not every unit in the army has the DEATH GUARD keyword.

So you can take an allied DG outrider detachment (3 drones and a Lord) to a main CSM army (like The Purge), and the drones would keep their -1T aura even if the Lord does not (because it has "Contagions of Nurgle" with the requirement, while "Nurgle's gift" gives it directly).

Of course, this is a loophole and RAI shouldn't be like this, but I had 3 drones and faced a rather annoying loyalist marines player I would totallly built a list around this idea...

Not sure if this is counts as a combo, but I tried the Inexorable plague company today. The -1 AP only came up once during the whole game. I used the strat once for the -2 to charge and he sill made it in, was an 8” charge and he rolled a 10. I did however get 3 wounds back from the relic, so that was nice.

It was a goal of mine to try them all out at least once, but my verdict is this is not a good one. If anyone else can make this work I would like to hear about it.

If anyone else can make this work I would like to hear about it.

I will test inexorable grenadiers rhino next weekend. Cheapest set up: rhino, biologus, 5x plague marines, 250 pts. While main forces push forward they can do 18+D6 4 -2 2 (for flash outbreak on rhino), hitting on 3+ with re-roll to wound. 

I will test inexorable grenadiers rhino next weekend. Cheapest set up: rhino, biologus, 5x plague marines, 250 pts. While main forces push forward they can do 18+D6 4 -2 2 (for flash outbreak on rhino), hitting on 3+ with re-roll to wound. 

Just make sure to put flash outbreak on the rhino as it happens in the command phase

Does the Fulgaris Helm extend the range of contagions? I don't think it does but I want to be sure.

It does not:

Note, that while similar in many regards to Aura abilities, Contagion abilities are not affected by abilities that affect Aura abilities, and vice-versa.

Thinking about a wretched patrol with a malignant plaguecaster as warlord. Buff him up with daemon's favour and sevenfold blessings, pick plague wind and curse of the leper, take foul effulents as WL trait and potentially dish out a lot of mortal wounds.

For example - let's say you start the turn next to 10 intercessors. In the command phase your WL trait activates and you pop off release the toxins strat. In the psychic phase you go with curse of the lepper (lets assume they are in contagion range) and plague wind, on average you should be casting them with rolls of at least 7 - that's an average of around 11 mws in 1 turn and with a maximum of 27 MWs... I dunno, I think it's worth a try.

I'll be taking a wretched plaguecaster warlord for that reason as well

Taking a death shroud bodyguard wkth Chimes for him and will use Gift of Plagues to extend their contagion range then hit a unit within range with Curse of the leper, making Marines suffer from it with the -1T shall be pretty nice just a shame their wasn't a way to stack it

• 3 weeks later...

The load out with this and Ferric Blight their AP is nice.

Plague Marines [12 PL, 295pts]

1x Plague Champion w/Plasma pistol

1x Plague Marine w/Boltgun

2x Plague Marine w/Great plague cleaver

2x Plague Marine w/Flail of corruption

2x Plague Marine w/Plague spewer

2x Plague Marine w/Plasma gun

Have the 4 melee throw grenades (3 from Blightening and 1 regular) all the Plasma become AP-4, the Spewers AP-2, bolter is -1.

In combat the knives are AP-2, cleavers AP-4, and flails AP-3.

Add in a Tallyman for +1 to hit and/or a Putrifier, Over Whelming Generosity, Haze of Corruption and that’s going to hurt something.

Edited by McElMcNinja

• 1 month later...

The new Terminus Est psychic power that removes 2 AP from an enemy unit caught my attention.

Put that on a Daemon Prince with Suppering Plate and Rotten Constitution. Provided he casts the power, anything up to AP-4 he will get a 2+ save against. Only AP-5 weapons can actually break his armour save! So a good candidate for enemy nasty units of power weapons.

Edit: Also good for the Nightbringer, Be'lakor etc...

Edited by Brother Kraskor

I ran this unit in a Wretched company accompanied by a Foul Blightspawn and a Putrifier, jumping out of a drill. They killed 2 5 man Deathwing terminators, 1 5 man Deathwing knights, a TA ancient, a TA Librarian, and 2 man unit before getting taken out by a second unit of knights. Due to the fact my Blightspawn was out of position.

1x Plague Champion w/Plasma gun

1x Plague Marine w/Blight launcher

2x Plague Marine w/Great plague cleaver

2x Plague Marine w/Flail of corruption

2x Plague Marine w/Plague spewer

2x Plague Marine w/Plasma gun

The turn they showed up I grenaded and shot 1 unit, they got charged by the unit of knights which couldn’t fight first. I killed them and turn 3 I charged the second 5 man Deathwing unit and killed them. He charged with the 2 man squad and the 2 characters. They put some hurt on me but I killed them all in return and that’s when the second knight unit got in and finished my unit off. I still had my 2 characters that got him down to 2, then he finished my guys off. I never played Haze and I didn’t really need to as the cleavers and flails were enough.

Looking back and going forward, breaking my unit into 2 5 man units will be better. The one big unit was one of my WWSWF units, but going this way my 2 PBCs will be (which only took 3 wounds total).

The Wretched worked out nicely with the auto wounds against his transhuman, when I remembered. The cleavers were devastating, especially when the Tallyman was close enough to give them +1 to hit.

Super-Plaguecaster, I didn’t realize that’s what he was until late into the game. He had consolidated 3 knights into one of my PBCs that was on an objective. I wanted to shoot it at another unit sitting across from it also on an objective. So I moved my closest Plaguecaster over and cast Curse of the Leper getting an 8 and I was like wait a minute, that’s an extra d3 MWs. Ended up doing 4 from the spell and 2 from fallout. So then I cast smite, only rolling a 6, but that enough as I did 2 from the smite and 1 from the fallout, cleaning his unit off my PBC.

After the game when we talked through things, we both agreed that I should have moved him up the board from the beginning. He had multiple Watchers that I was trying to avoid because I thought my buffs were more important. It may have been more advantageous had I made him use those up earlier in the game.