How many SG and DC models are needed?

Leif

Goodnight

I currently have 10 Sanguinary Guards models and 10 Death Company marines models too. Do you think I would need 5 more from each squad? I usually play small units of 5 each to have a lot of threat at the table

I find a single large unit of SG is enough for normal sized games. They really need to be near the Warlord to benefit from the Heirs of Azkellon rule so running multiple units of SG tends to run into diminishing returns.

Death Company on the other hand can work well in MSU. Drop 3x5 man squads in along with Lemartes to auto-chant the Canticle of Hate. 3 squads making 7" charges with rerolls should ensure plenty of mess.

For both the max unit size is 10.

Starting out I'd suggest a unit size of 10 for both. For Death Company I'd use either 10 primaris assault intercessors that you'd run from transports, or 10 regular marines and give them jump packs. 

At this phase your goal is to paint them and learn how to use them on the tabletop. After that you will probably start to add more of either unit as you want to explore more options for using them?

For example I've played Blood Angels for years and I have 15 regular DC with jump packs, 15 regular DC on foot that I've used in drop pods and rhinos, and 'm now working on a unit of 10 primaris death company (using the primaris assault intercessors). I like having options with them. Different types for different tactics.

Goodnight

My DC have jump packages, the current codex greatly enhances the use of jetpack, although the idea of a rhino filled with 10 DC catches my attention more than a drop pods

The DC Intercessors don't catch my eye, too many resources invested in them, and the drive has lost a lot of punch

I've used regular marine DC in a Rhino to some success. Just depends on what you're going up against. Each time I had a Chaplain with jump pack moving with them.

In the end I have decided to mount 10 DC with magnetized jump packs, so that I can mount them on rhino in case I need them. What I'm still thinking about is whether to make 5 more SG models, or a VV unit