Archeotech - OOC and General Discussion

Trokair

Tell me more.

Just throwing out some ideas based on that:

Ex Navy Bosun or crewboss, got into trouble with a senior officer over some illegal activity (his or the officers) and had to make a run for it, so jumped ship and ended up on one of the orbital docks as a pit fighter.

Factory worker on the outskirts of Einerzen ( the planetary capital) doing boxing/fighting matches for entertainment/extra money, refused to fix a fight and is on the run from a local gang. Ended up in Keringrat a little while before the expedition was announced and has been struggling to rebuild his life.

Indentured/slaved pit fighter in an illegal gambling place, escaped when the Arbiters and local police raided the place.

Edit, just saw your additional posts.     

Ex Guard/PDF special weapon trooper specializing in flamers could work.

Or even current trooper who has been (along side his squad/platoon/whatnot) seconded to the expedition and then assigned to this survey/sub expedition team.

I'm kinda still brainstorming what could be intersting tbh, the low power level doesn't leave a lot of options as far as I can see...
As this is narrative driven as long as the justification can be found it can be done. I just did not want to start the game with space marine super human power level on something that is so much more mundane.  Also as a fan of Eisenhorn and Co I like to explore a bit of the imperium that is not a constant warzone. 

Yeah, trooper with flamer sounds good. Probably used to be in charge of "Clean-up", burning ork spores and other undesireable elements away. Now they're assigned to the expedition, where the targets for flaming tend to shoot back...

Pretty good to begin with right? I'm thinking of using the Traitor Guardsman profile for the character, as they have a flamer, S4 assault with d6 attacks and autohit because flamer.

I assume a traitor guardsman profile is basically the same as a guardsman, so as a basis no problem.  

Decide the kind of regiment/world you are from. This won’t have much, if any, rules effect I think, but will help with character development, looks and so on. One of the big named ones or something more obscure (or even DIY).

I assume a traitor guardsman profile is basically the same as a guardsman, so as a basis no problem.  

Decide the kind of regiment/world you are from. This won’t have much, if any, rules effect I think, but will help with character development, looks and so on. One of the big named ones or something more obscure (or even DIY).

It is the same as guardsman, with the exception of weapon options.

As for the world of origin, I was thinking somewhere cold. Maybe Valhalla? Flamer would be quite useful for starting fires, removing ice etc.

There are flamer equipped troopers who are not pyromaniacs?

Go ahead and develop the background, personality and so on for your character and then put him up in the character thread together with a profile and equipment.  

There are flamer equipped troopers who are not pyromaniacs?

Go ahead and develop the background, personality and so on for your character and then put him up in the character thread together with a profile and equipment.  

Will do. What can I take for equipment? The traitor trooper profile has the flamer and flak armour of course, as well as frag grenades. Could I replace the frags with improvised firebombs, aka molotov cocktails? Could change the rules a little, or just be a reflavour, up to you. One other thing I was considering was flame-retardant armour, +1 to saves vs damage from fire weapons.

Anything that can be justified by the narrative/situation, some equipment may not have any rule effect but will be there for flavor or narrative reasons (and can be taken into account if they become relevant by giving a bonus at the time).

So for example you can have flame retardant elements to your armour/uniform, but I am not going to give it any special rules for it now, but should you end up on the receiving end of a flamer I might grant you a +1 to your armour save then for that instance, or reduce the severity of the injury inflicted or something like that. Equally if you end up in a desert I might impose a penalty for wearing the heavy winter cloth/extra armour unless your character takes them off. The focus of the game is narrative side, and rules are there to guide and will be fudged and adjusted as needed.  

Reflavouring of existing equipment, weapon and so on to better fit your character if fine. So firebombs/molotovs as count as frag grenades is ok.   

Anything that can be justified by the narrative/situation, some equipment may not have any rule effect but will be there for flavor or narrative reasons (and can be taken into account if they become relevant by giving a bonus at the time).

So for example you can have flame retardant elements to your armour/uniform, but I am not going to give it any special rules for it now, but should you end up on the receiving end of a flamer I might grant you a +1 to your armour save then for that instance, or reduce the severity of the injury inflicted or something like that. Equally if you end up in a desert I might impose a penalty for wearing the heavy winter cloth/extra armour unless your character takes them off. The focus of the game is narrative side, and rules are there to guide and will be fudged and adjusted as needed.  

Reflavouring of existing equipment, weapon and so on to better fit your character if fine. So firebombs/molotovs as count as frag grenades is ok.   

Cool, will work out the backstory and post soon. Any other equipment I could take?

*shrugs* Whatever you can think up that fits I’ll consider.

Once the party is full/has been formed I will probably also hand out some extra bits if I feel it is needed. After all this is a part of a large expedition so would be well resourced when they set out.

*shrugs* Whatever you can think up that fits I’ll consider.

Once the party is full/has been formed I will probably also hand out some extra bits if I feel it is needed. After all this is a part of a large expedition so would be well resourced when they set out.

Guess I'll take a laspistol sidearm, and an Ice pick for a melee weapon. The pick won't actually affect the stats, it's just for flavour really.

The ice pick will be your generic/basic close combat weapon then, seems appropriate.

Precisely. How much backstory/character stuff do you want, and how do you want it formatted?

Why not both, a Tech-adept/priest on the wrong side of a theological schism is hoping that a fortune will validate his/his sides believe (by paid mercenaries if not cunning arguments).

Pick what you think you will enjoy writing more.

Tempting :)

I was toying with the idea of a Scion from a mechanicus aligned Knight Household.. but my mind is propably going to explode from trying to decide on a Knight and a heraldry that won‘t matter anyway since they are not going to feature in the campaign :p

For the sake of the argument, is there a supposed to be a major forgeworld close by or exerting some influence here? 

Actually that dose sound good (as long as he dose not bring a knight), stick with this. Maybe he did not show enough faith in the Omnissiah for the Chaplin equivalent to permit his training to become a knight pilot, or maybe a inter family/house feud means that your character missed out on the opportunity to be trained. Maybe your character is female and this knight house is a bit to patriarchal for its own good. Lots of possibilities here.

While I have not envision any nearby forgeworld (major or minor), given the location as a central trade route hub you could easily come from further afield. If needed we could always create a minor forgeworld/colony of a major forgeworld that is within the same or nearby sector, but still some distance away (ie not the same sub sector).

Hmm, the idea of being part of a Knight household but not being allowed or considered to be proper Knight  material as such would Solve a few issues. While the engine itself might have been left in Orbison a vessel for repairs, I wasn‘t really happy with him being apart from the engine for an undetermined time and leaving it  in such a fragile state.

A female scion setting out to bring back something that has the house take notice to see her  as  more than just  marriage material or record keeper also gives the character a sound Motivation and enough grounding in Mechanicus lore without being an actual priest.

Looking good, the only thing that jumps out is the roasted food bit, roasting takes time, grill or barbecue to would seem more likely, but Mila is your character so go with what works for you.

It is not just you, I was hoping we would get at least one female character but was fully expecting most/all to be male, given that the vast majority of the little toy soldier that 40k is based on are male, so a nice surprise so far. The more the merrier I guess.

Beren, Kara is looking good as well. Could you have a go at aliening the profile slightly better, I know it isn’t easy, and it doesn’t need to be perfect, but if glancing it in a rush it could be misread. Two or so additional spaces in the top line in strategic places should be enough.

Looking good, the only thing that jumps out is the roasted food bit, roasting takes time, grill or barbecue to would seem more likely, but Mila is your character so go with what works for you.

It is not just you, I was hoping we would get at least one female character but was fully expecting most/all to be male, given that the vast majority of the little toy soldier that 40k is based on are male, so a nice surprise so far. The more the merrier I guess.

I'll change it to Grill, I don't really know food terms so I just used the first that came to mind.

And I certainly don't dislike the number of women in the party. Girls night out expedition?