Archeotech - OOC and General Discussion

Trokair

Just to let everybody know, I am intending to start Act 1 of our story up towards the end of next week.

There will be time for your characters to meet and get to know each other before you set out. My aim is to have a real world week correspond to roughly one in story day, depending on the pace of the story and how things are going. Obviously if a lot is happening in game time will slow as needed.

Petragor and Beren, I am assume you are both ready, but if there is anything else you want to do for your character or have questions let me know.

Badger, I know you are busy for a little while yet, take your time, and join in when you can.

Steel, likewise, let me know if your character needs a little more time.   

Just to let everybody know, I am intending to start Act 1 of our story up towards the end of next week.

There will be time for your characters to meet and get to know each other before you set out. My aim is to have a real world week correspond to roughly one in story day, depending on the pace of the story and how things are going. Obviously if a lot is happening in game time will slow as needed.

Petragor and Beren, I am assume you are both ready, but if there is anything else you want to do for your character or have questions let me know.

Badger, I know you are busy for a little while yet, take your time, and join in when you can.

Steel, likewise, let me know if your character needs a little more time.   

I believe I'm good to go, if you ever have any questions about the character, let me know.

Hello Urauloth

Welcome aboard, there is still space. What sort of character did you have in mind?

A bounty hunter/sellsword type. My rough draft idea is that's what he is ostensibly - he has legit enough papers to get through a spaceport's security in most places and he's happy to make a living as hired muscle, but he's spent quite a bit of time doing extra-legal things in wilder parts of space. He's from a rough low-tech planet and he doesn't really get what archaotech is, just that it's valuable and people will pay him to get it for them or help them get it. Smart when it comes to survival and good in a brawl, but not book-smart and not entirely trustworthy either.

Ok, sounds alright. When you say low tech do you mean Modern earth tech, medivial level or even more primitive? 

I’d suggest a Shock Maul kind of weapon, good as a blunt weapon and at the touch of button can potentially stun an enemy (bounty).

I'm thinking a failing frontier world, so there's technology present but very little access to it or knowledge of how to use it. Give it another thousand years and it'll be a feral world. Most ships that bother to stop there are smugglers, pirates, beast-traders, press-gangers or down on their luck merchants looking to pick up cheap muscle from the relatively small but hardy population.

He would have been part of a clan or gang competing for territory and working tech, as well as tracking, hunting and surviving against the dangerous local fauna. He'll have some kind of hunting trophy - a claw necklace or a fang charm - and quite a few scars. Once he got new employment in space, he's rattled around doing mostly dirty work for mostly dirty clients, but he's stayed clean enough in "proper" Imperial space that he's maintained an official standing as a legal bounty hunter and bodyguard for hire. He's not a good bounty hunter, mind you - nobody would ever hire him if they wanted their quarry in one piece, and no respectable lawman would want anything to do with him. He's just on the right side of the law and just out of sight enough to be tolerated, especially since Imperial worlds are huge places and nobody looks too closely at one more brute selling his ability to hit things for a few credits.

As for a weapon: The shock maul suggestion would be great if he was a professional bounty hunter, but he really isn't. An axe or a pick would suit him better.

If this is good as a character concept, I was looking at the chaos cultist profile to represent him. That gives him less armour than a Guard-based character, but more punch up close with a brutal assault weapon. It also gives him a poor LD statistic, which is fine, because you don't really want this guy in charge and he's not exactly reliable.

Let me know what you think!

An axe or a pick would suit him better.

I apologise for sticking my nose in here, as it's Tro's game, but what about an entrenching tool, perhaps a mattock?  Half axe, half pick?

Your character concept just suggested it...

I'll go now, I was never here :p

MR.

Chaos Cultist profile as a start should be fine, I would go further and say drop a point of BS (as from the sound of it he is not so good at range), have an extra attack and your axe/pick/mattock/thing would be a brutal assault weapon with +1S.

The tracking and hunting skills might also come in useful narratively.

Get your character named and posted over in the character thread in the next few days and we can go from there.  

Edited by Trokair

what about an entrenching tool, perhaps a mattock?  Half axe, half pick?

Good, but a little too professional. ;) Take the Chaos Spikes off the weapon this guy has and we're in business:

spnHTFJ.png

Chaos Cultist profile as a start should be fine, I would go further and say drop a point of BS (as from the sound of it he is not so good at range), have an extra attack and your axe/pick/mattock/thing would be a brutal assault weapon with +1S.

The tracking and hunting skills might also come in useful narratively.

Get your character named and posted over in the character thread in the next few days and we can go from there.  

Interesting! I would say that with a hunting background you'd need to be able to shoot, but the chances are there weren't a lot of guns around where this guy comes from, so the bulk of his ranged combat experience will be with low-tech kit like throwing weapons, so it wouldn't transfer to BS as far as typical 40k shootouts are concerned. Good idea, let's do it.

I'll get him written up in the character thread.

Depends what is traditionally hunted on the world of origin, and how. If you think your character would have experience with ranged hunting weapons, thrown spears, bow and arrow, hunting rifle and so on then by all means keep it at BS 4+, I just figured from the description a lower BS seemed in character.

If you want, how about keeping it at BS 5+ but give him a hunting rifle, say: Range 30 Heavy 1 S:3 AP:-1 D:1 When this weapon is used to shoot at a target more than 15 away it gets +1 to hit.

So by standing still and taking carful aim he can hit 50/50, but at close range the rifle is cumbersome, and with other ranged weapons he is not as good.

Ok update time, or rather pre-update time.

The first story post will go live this weekend (or so I intend, yell at me on Monday if it has not) and I will give it about a week for people to post their introduction narratives and so on.

Going forward I intend each in story day to be around a week in real time, though this is flexible if a lot (such as of combat time) / or not much is happening.  

As we are all busy please do be patient if we have to wait for a player for their updates. I will wait a reasonable time on any player, but after a certain point the narrative will move forward, and any required actions will assumed to have been done or not, as appropriate. If you know you are going to be away from a game do let me know if you can.

Favour of the Lady

While all our player characters are mere mortals, as player character you will have some bonuses over NPC. To start with all player characters will have two additional wounds, so that you don’t die in the first combat that happens. Please mark this on your profile when you have a moment. 

In addition, on being reduced to zero wounds your character is not dead, merely knocked down, knocked out, injured, or otherwise not able to participate in the current combat time, after the current combat has finished some dice roles will determine what happens.

Death

I do not intend any of you to die, as that means that you can’t play the game, but as dice and random chance are involved it may happen, especially in the later part of the game. If your character dies the game is over for you, though of course you are free to continue to watch and take part in the out of character thread. If you are unlucky enough to die early then I may, depending on circumstance, give you a chance to start a new character, or take over a NPC.

That said, this is not a war zone, and I neither intend nor expect anybody to die in the earlier parts of the game.

Team Leader

I think I mentioned this in passing before, but just for clarity, you will designate one player character as a team leader. This leader will be seen as in charge of this part of the expedition and NPC will act accordingly.

This is your collective decision so please feel free to discuss amongst yourself, or nominate your character to the group.  

If no leader is nominated, then from the player descriptions/intend (as some players need to finalize their character details in the other thread still) I have a character in mind, just in case.

The Narrative thread.

When this goes up please put any out of character text in orange, such as dice rolls, short questions as to intent or rules as such, but anything long or complicated should be done in this thread here.

Feel free to place a Placeholder if you have something to do, say or narrate, but don’t have time in that instance. A Placeholder should contain a point or two as to what you want to do, so that the narrative can move forward if needed.

If you have filled an older placeholder drop a quick message with a link to the post in this thread, so that the other players and I are aware of the update.

Any questions at this point?

The in character thread is now open.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/370386-archeotech-%E2%80%93-treasure-hunt-icc-thread

Feel free to post your opening scenes and have your characters get to know each other.

For reference, the Goliath and Achilles are the locally produced variant of the common imperial vehicles. These have not been militarized, so no guns on them, but they are otherwise much like these pictures.

Goliath, further to the picture imagine that it has a tarp/canvas (or whatever that is called) over the back akin to what is often seen on the back of trucks full of soldiers in world war films.

99120117002_Goliath01.jpg

Achilles 

99120117015_GSCAchilliesRidgerunner02.jp

Edited by Trokair

I was hoping it would be Badger’s character, as the concept was a retired middle ranking guard officer would be a good fit, or at least a good fit from the expedition leaderships point of view.

I know Badger was busy for a bit but will hopefully be more available now. Let’s give it a few days and see.

I do have a backup NPC conceptualized should we need it.   

9825 is a servitor, and Steel is playing it. It is not the servitor described as loading the Goliath in the opening narration. Steel’s character is the servitor that the official notes as being part of the team.

So at the moment there is 9825 and another servitor in the vicinity of the Goliath, both working to stow away supplies. The other is just background as it where.

Edited by Trokair

Badger has told me that he should be able to get something up tomorrow, so our team leader will then be on site.

So that you are all aware, the AdMech representative will meet the team at the gate as the convoy leaves, which will be either Wednesday or Friday depending on how far the opening scene gets by then (not Thursday as I believe B&C will have some down time for maintenance that day).

At the end of the current scenes (so when this moves on to the ocnvey leaving) two of you will need to be designated drivers, one for the Goliath and one for the Achilles. Any volunteers?