Kill Team: Pariah Nexus

Squark

Feast your eyes on the most imbalanced boxed set in GW history!

WegV0tILAMzXVdz9.jpg

50 points of Necron Infantry vs. 5 Pseudo-Custodes. What.

The nature of the book also casts doubt as to whether other factions will get new units, unfortunately. And since the Heavy Intercessors are so desirable, expect tons of scalping to ensue.

Edit: Warcom link https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/01/23/warhammer-preview-online-the-dead-and-the-divine/

Edited by Squark

The terrain could interact to buff Crons and / or debuff Marines to balance the scales a bit.

Mission design and cards could also do it. Points may allow you to add additional crons from your collection to the Cron team to balance with the marines. I haven't seen the cron dex, so I have no idea how bad the balance is.

While it's possible Flayed ones will be updated to match their 9e version, they're 10 points each in the original kill team book, and that felt pretty fair in my previous campaigns.

They're 13 points in the 9e codex, but they're Marine Scout equivalents who specialize in killing blobs of cowardly infantry, pitted against walking tanka. A scenario where they keep respawning could balance an individual battle, but it doesn't make it less imbalanced if you tried to split the box.

Edited by Squark

I have to say that this looks like the most disappointing Killteam box yet. The terrain is just pathetic compared to previous iterations. I was glad that Necrons were getting some themed terrain until I actually saw it, just a handful of doors and cannisters.

I imagine plenty of people will buy it to get the Heavy Intercessors early but the rest is a big let down.

With regards to the points imbalance, I wonder if the actual scenarios in the book address this? E.g. Respawning Flayed Ones, or limiting which models the Marine player can use for each one.

If the miniatures aren't ones that people will want for their Kill Team or 40k projects, I'm sure there'll be plenty of people splitting the board and rules.

I'll get this as I would like to do a Necron Kill Team, and the Marines will join my unbuilt Dark Imperium/Conquest Primaris for A Future Project :lol: It will be nice to have more boards to play on, I may buy more of the Necron terrain pieces as I've a plan for a Necron themed Kill Team board in the future - I can incorporate them into that.

Obviously the additional rules is a big draw on this - I'm keen to see which new Marine & Necron units make it in (I honestly can't see Outriders or Eradicators being included).

• 2 weeks later...

...I guess this article goes some way to answering some of the questions regarding the points imbalance of the minis in the box: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/02/02/even-the-new-terrain-wants-you-dead-in-kill-team-pariah-nexus/

Maybe, but nothing there says that the penalties don't affect Necrons (or the bonuses affect only Necrons). Honestly, though, I'm not overly concerned about the internal balance (Which will probably be fine, if not perfect). What bothers me is how lopsided the value is. 5 Heavy Intercessors will be a 60-75 USD Kit in high demand, while 5 Flayed Ones is probably half a <=60 USD Kit (Depending on whether or not they're ETB like Warriors are) that has no real place in the metagame.

...I guess this article goes some way to answering some of the questions regarding the points imbalance of the minis in the box: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/02/02/even-the-new-terrain-wants-you-dead-in-kill-team-pariah-nexus/

Credit where credit is due. Terrain rules like that are a good match for Kill Team.

• 2 weeks later...

this seems more like a space hulk update? sort of. It's also rumored to be about 150 USD or 190Cdn from another thread here on the board. This isn't worth nearly 200 Cdn. Just my opinion

Huh. Yeah, the scenario does seem much better suited to a Space Hulk like system.

Price-wise..

Heavy Intercessors: 60 USD(?)

5 Flayed Ones: 30-38 USD (30 if they're releases in a box of 10, 38 if they're in groups of 5 like Immortals and the other 5e kits)

-2 Characters: 70 USD

That's 160 USD right there, qnd that doesn't include the book, terrain, and other parts. I imagine GW thinks this is a good value, but the box just feels empty, especially since the previous Kill Team starter boxes have a decent ammount of full size terrain instead of just scattered bits.

Some more details on a new preview on WarCom; https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/02/18/more-toughness-more-wounds-bigger-guns-heavy-intercessors-have-it-all/?utm_source=Warhammer%20Community&utm_medium=Banner&utm_campaign=KILLTEAMPariahNexus18022021&utm_content=KILLTEAMPariahNexus18022021

Heavy Intercessors are 2 points more than regular Intercessors - I'm assuming the choice of weapons will add to that, too.

Interesting! In the article it says regular heavy bolters get +1 damage... does that mean, as many of us hoped, that the entire Astartes KT list is being updated in harmony with the latest C:SM??? 2w Firstborn and everything???

Edit: Or does it just mean the Warcom team are looking at the profile of the Heavy Intercessor version of the basic Heavy Bolter, and getting it wrong in referring to the 'heavy bolter we all know and love'

So, quite a significant leak of rules and points for Necrons and Astartes has gone out: https://youtu.be/E0ihdYuGDAQ

Some key points:

- All Astartes are under one list, including Deathwatch, as per 9th Ed 40k (but not Grey Knights)

-Firstborn Marines (Tactical, Veterans of all types, Terminators) get an extra wound - so parity with 9th 40k

- As a result, these appear to have gone up by 2 points each.

- Deathwatch rules for special issue ammo add 2 points for each weapon (off the top of my head)

- Scout Sniper rifles AP is improved

- Judiciar, Blade Guard, Lt with Shield & Volkite Pistol are all added from Indomitus

- Necrons - Immortals and Death Marks are T5 (I think this is an improvement)

- Flayed One claws are AP-1

- Royal Warden, Chronomancer, Psychomancer, Plasmancer, Technomancer all added from Indomitus/9th - sadly no Skorpekh destroyers, the one unit I was hoping for (as I think those models are pretty cool :D)

So when this comes out, Astartes will be on par with 9th Ed 40k, sadly it leaves Grey Knights and Heretic Astartes (including the dusty and smelly ones ;)) behind their loyalist cousins :( I really hope they faq those soon.

So I must admit, I was somewhat surprised that ALL Astartes are included in this expansion, not just new units. It's welcome, but does leave question marks when other Astartes are going to get their update.

I heard from a youtuber that death denied is back to 2 CP which I think is a terrible decision because it was overused by most marine players that i have played against before the FAQ (3 CP cost)

It appears that GW is copying and pasting without the FAQ updates. -_-

Love death denied, but it feels cheap - last match a powerfisted death guard fighter killed my infiltrator leader with 3 wounds going to injury rolls, all failed. Cheesily used death denied and killed his fighter in return..

It's even dumber with a level 3+ strategist commander. Pre- KT:annual, You could use it for 1 CP- And then use it a second time in the same turn for 2 CP.

I am disheartened with this product. After watching reviews, unboxing, and reading articles. This box is not for a player like me :(

I like this GW skirmish game, but I cannot justify the value of the box for myself.

I think I will probably pick up a killzone terrain box instead. Hopefully, they will release a new annual with faq changes copied to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Having just got the book, I think we need an errata fairly quickly.

Some of the Astartes seem a bit unbalanced points wise, Heavy Intercessors in particular?

Also, the Infernus HB for DW is an insane price of just 2pts... when a reg HB has gone up to 6pts??? I'm not sure whether that is a deliberate boost for DW...

...or I'm wondering if it's actually a mixup error on the price list: the Inferno Pistol seems very expensive at 8pts and the Infernus very cheap at 2pts?

Edit: never mind, looking in the 2019 annual Inferno was 8pts before so... maybe Infernus is just super, super cheap??