Alpharius

animal310

I’m half way through Alpharius and will finish tomorrow. Fantastic stuff so far, Mike Brooks has certainly done his homework, nailed it. I have little doubt that this will be my favourite of the series so far. Really pleased as most of the series I feel has been mediocre. The others I have really liked have been Kurse, Perturabo, and Khan. (Angron had some great bits but there were certain aspects that for me didn’t fit).

The spoiler in this one is a big one, sadly got it ruined for me by PMs :sad.:

Sorry to hear this.  How big are we talking without spoiling things?  (Maybe using the reveal in Legion as a yardstick?)

The spoiler in this one is a big one, sadly got it ruined for me by PMs :sad.:

Sorry to hear this.  How big are we talking without spoiling things?  (Maybe using the reveal in Legion as a yardstick?)

Well for me it's big, I haven't got the book so I actually don't know if its true or not but it was so random I think it is true.

Could someone share in spoiler tags? As GW dont want my money for 3+ months its going to drive me nuts otherwise :/ 

BE WARNED! BE VERY WARNED!

Alpharius was the first Primarch that was found by the Emperor, he spent his time infiltrating other Legions at the beginning, one of the ones he had trouble with was the Dark Angels for reason I don't know.

Again, this is what was PM'd to me.

Edited by Chapter Master Valrak

Could someone share in spoiler tags? As GW dont want my money for 3+ months its going to drive me nuts otherwise :/

BE WARNED! BE VERY WARNED!

Alpharius was the first Primarch that was found by the Emperor, he spent his time infiltrating other Legions at the beginning, one of the ones he had trouble with was the Dark Angels for reason I don't know.

Again, this is what was PM'd to me.

Nope, don’t like that.

Well, I’ve finished it. I thought it was brilliant. 10/10

Slight spoiler

Mike seems to have taken a lot of inspiration from Alan Bligh’s work in Extermination, something I think other writers in the series should really have paid more attention to. Alan, for me was the master when it came to the Horus Heresy. Whatever background work Mike did it has really paid off here and he has done a fantastic job. This is the first work of his I have read and I’m now away to buy the rest.
Edited by animal310

Well, I’ve finished it. I thought it was brilliant. 10/10

Slight spoiler

Mike seems to have taken a lot of inspiration from Alan Bligh’s work in Extermination, something I think other writers in the series should really have paid more attention to. Alan, for me was the master when it came to the Horus Heresy. Whatever background work Mike did it has really paid off here and Mike has done a fantastic job. This is the first work of his I have read and I’m now away to get the rest.

Having finished the book just earlier today - this is pretty much what I think about it as well. It's well-written and - intentional or not - its a great homage to Alan Bligh's Alpha Legion fluff from Blackbook 3. Particularly the big reveal being one of the proposed and rumoured theories in the AL article is super-neat. I'd love to give a more in-depth run-down but I am finishing a thesis right now so that'll have to wait a week or two.

Ooh that is interesting, and yes, Blighs work in the black books was excellent so drawing on that is a good move i think. Was possibly my fave posited origin too as it ties in well to the Trefoil stuff. 

Is that what the Book is about though, or are they up to something else and its covered? 

Ooh that is interesting, and yes, Blighs work in the black books was excellent so drawing on that is a good move i think. Was possibly my fave posited origin too as it ties in well to the Trefoil stuff. 

Is that what the Book is about though, or are they up to something else and its covered?

Huge Spoilers, you have been warned!

Alpharius’s pod laded on Terra and was found by the Emperor almost right away. He was kept secret and was present when a lot of his brothers were found, hiding within the ranks of their legion warriors. He remarks that he did not regret not being present when Angron was found!

Horus was found early in the Great Crusade on Cthonia.

Alpharius’s role, given by the Emperor was to protect the Imperium, without guidance if necessary.

Alpharius takes charge of his Legion and they work away throughout the great crusade in the background, using the methods they are now known for. No one outside the legion, bar three individuals knew of his existence. Emperor, Malcador and Valdor.

Alpharius offers a lot of insightful thoughts on his brothers throughout the book.

It is hinted that Alpharius may have sacrificed himself (at the hands of Dorn) for a greater purpose.

Omegon landed on an unknown dead planet that once contained an advanced civilisation, he acquired some of the dead civilisations tech and later escaped on a pirate ship. He was found by Alpharius sometime later and they ruminated that only one of them may have been intended but they were replicated somehow in the warp and that the Emperor might not know about them both. Neither were sure however. For some reason Omegon was referred to in the plural initially when Alpharius first meets him, I’ve not worked that out yet.

After being found by Alpahrius, Omegon then went and took over an undiscovered human planet and rose to be its leader. He was eventually ‘discovered’ by Horus as the last Primarch to be ‘found’.

There’s a lot of stuff in-between, spread over the years and some great appearances by Xenos.

The XIth legion get a mention, but it does not tell you anything!

Edited by animal310

That doesn't change anything for me or makes it worse.

Quite the opposite, I'm now quite hyped to get that one.

Honouring Alan's legacy is a huge plus for me as the AL article is one of my top 3 entries.

Really looking forward to get my hands on it. Again, nothing game changing for me. It only adds. :tu:

Edited by Kelborn

Man, this sounds both fantastic and like an homage to one of strongest Legion Appendix from FW.

Now if only my copy would arrive...*Shakes fist angrily at late delivery*

Jests aside I am super stoked, thanks for sharing folks!

Although one thing does rankle going by past books. I always took Omegon as the more passive and subtle of the twins as opposed to the louder and more aggressive Alpharius. This angle sort of puts a hole in my assumptions lol.

Could Mike join the SG team? He's got such a great command for their worlds (Necro and now seemingly the heresy)!

GW properties aren't his primary focus or interest. He's just a decent writer, but doesn't really love the setting the way French does, for example. 

Edited by Marshal Rohr