Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Alpharius

• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

Cherubael

Cherubael

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4 posts

I haven't read the book but I like what I have read in the spoilers and am in the camp that it changes little.

Spoiler

Edited by Cherubael, 27 January 2021 - 01:07 PM.

• aa.logan, Karhedron, animal310 and 2 others like this

animal310

animal310

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 73 posts

In reply to Captain Idaho

Spoiler

Edited by animal310, 27 January 2021 - 01:31 PM.

• nusphigor likes this

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18,034 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment
Spoiler

• nusphigor likes this

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

Lucerne

Lucerne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 1,324 posts

And to top it all off there's always the "in-universe lies" approach to lore you don't like in this novel.

https://twitter.com/...318432949927938

"The Alpha Legion has- in spirit if not in body- remained much the same since its creation."

"Agents of stealth and misrule they may be, but when the Alpha Legion unleash their martial might, worlds shake at their tread."

aa.logan

aa.logan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 604 posts
  • Faction: Kartash’s pious stink
I was really hoping to have read this on Saturday, but delayed delivery kept me from the book.

As ever, it’s interesting to note that the comments here from folk who have read the book are positive, whilst the negative ones seem to be those responding to the bare bones spoilers- it’s a book that people should absolutely give a chance to.

It’s a really good book. The use of Alpharius as first-person narrator works really well- it seems such a natural fir for learning about the character. The scope of the book is more ambitious than others in the series- we get rich snapshots of several parts of the nascent Imperium, and the methods of the Alpha Legion are showcased in suitable fashion. Brooks handles the action scenes well, and Alpharius is charismatic enough while not fully human. By showing us each of his brothers through Alpharius’ eyes, Brooks gives us one of the most convincing sketches of why the Primarchs were created. None of the big ‘reveals’ seem egregious to me, and I savoured the nuggets of lore and tie-ins with other stories.

It’s not flawless- an extra 50 pages would really help the pacing of the story; the end portion seems a little rushed, but I’m glad the opening scenes weren’t trimmed. Alpharius is a smug so-and-so, as I guess anyone born with his gifts would be, and that does get a little waring at times, but it’s *his* book and it would feel wrong for him to get his comeuppance in it’s pages. In the same way that I find myself siding with the effectiveness of the Night Lords’ methods from a humanitarian perspective, the Alpha Legion don’t really fit into 40k- I don’t see why all chapters and legions don’t adopt their tactics more often if not all the time- covert headstrikes just seem more a more effective use of Astartes than meatgrinding them en masse, but once I’m over that hurdle, I’m grand.

Spoiler

• nusphigor, Ingo Pech, Nineswords and 3 others like this

Lucerne

Lucerne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 1,324 posts

I was really hoping to have read this on Saturday, but delayed delivery kept me from the book.

As ever, it’s interesting to note that the comments here from folk who have read the book are positive, whilst the negative ones seem to be those responding to the bare bones spoilers- it’s a book that people should absolutely give a chance to.

It’s a really good book. The use of Alpharius as first-person narrator works really well- it seems such a natural fir for learning about the character. The scope of the book is more ambitious than others in the series- we get rich snapshots of several parts of the nascent Imperium, and the methods of the Alpha Legion are showcased in suitable fashion. Brooks handles the action scenes well, and Alpharius is charismatic enough while not fully human. By showing us each of his brothers through Alpharius’ eyes, Brooks gives us one of the most convincing sketches of why the Primarchs were created. None of the big ‘reveals’ seem egregious to me, and I savoured the nuggets of lore and tie-ins with other stories.

It’s not flawless- an extra 50 pages would really help the pacing of the story; the end portion seems a little rushed, but I’m glad the opening scenes weren’t trimmed. Alpharius is a smug so-and-so, as I guess anyone born with his gifts would be, and that does get a little waring at times, but it’s *his* book and it would feel wrong for him to get his comeuppance in it’s pages. In the same way that I find myself siding with the effectiveness of the Night Lords’ methods from a humanitarian perspective, the Alpha Legion don’t really fit into 40k- I don’t see why all chapters and legions don’t adopt their tactics more often if not all the time- covert headstrikes just seem more a more effective use of Astartes than meatgrinding them en masse, but once I’m over that hurdle, I’m grand.

Spoiler

Hubris, the AL tactics being a timesink, Legions being the battering ram in this era that generally can butcher opposition without needing to waste time and effort on the set up...

Ironically enough the AL tactics are perfect for post-heresy...after the Imperium has been completely traumatized into being suspicious of anything that resembles their tactics.

• fire golem and aa.logan like this

"The Alpha Legion has- in spirit if not in body- remained much the same since its creation."

"Agents of stealth and misrule they may be, but when the Alpha Legion unleash their martial might, worlds shake at their tread."

aa.logan

aa.logan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 604 posts
Oh, I agree with all of the above- all of 30/40k is totally absurd so suspension of disbelief is essential, but anything that reminds me that there might be a better solution than a headlong charge wielding a chainsword sometimes throws me...

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,861 posts

DarkChaplain I couldn’t agree more!

BCC

Cool. I don't particularly agree with your other points, but at least that's something.

My only issue with the reveal is

Spoiler

I see your point but....

Spoiler
[Enter THIS! Gif]
Spoiler

It even adds to that scene as it further emphasize
Spoiler

"That was a lie."

I could get used to that quote. msn-wink.gif

Spoiler

Edited by DarkChaplain, 27 January 2021 - 04:07 PM.

Lucerne

Lucerne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 1,324 posts

Oh, I agree with all of the above- all of 30/40k is totally absurd so suspension of disbelief is essential, but anything that reminds me that there might be a better solution than a headlong charge wielding a chainsword sometimes throws me...

30k can afford to be sloppy, wasteful and inefficient, hence some of the absurditites. Plus if you need to send a message and kill anyone that might raise a weapon against your empire, blood crazed butchers do that just as well as the more efficient and time consuming tactics...

• aa.logan likes this

DukeLeto69

DukeLeto69

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,416 posts
So I have not bought or read a single Primarchs novel. They just do not interest me and the series has clearly been a mixed bag.

However, I do really like Mike Brooks writing so am wondering when Alpharius comes out in Std HB whether to get it?

Confess to losing track of all the lore stuff from time-to-time so having read the spoilers I am not sure those reveals would bother me either way.
  • Lucerne and aa.logan like this

aa.logan

aa.logan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 604 posts

So I have not bought or read a single Primarchs novel. They just do not interest me and the series has clearly been a mixed bag.
However, I do really like Mike Brooks writing so am wondering when Alpharius comes out in Std HB whether to get it?
Confess to losing track of all the lore stuff from time-to-time so having read the spoilers I am not sure those reveals would bother me either way.

Yes, do get it.

Some of the books in the series feel less ‘essential’ than others; the Khan one, for example, is great, but we have seen plenty of him elsewhere. Ferrus Manus has it’s fans, but I didn’t feel all I learnt much about him or what made his Legion tick coming away from reading it. Alpharius hits the sweet spot- relatively little explored Primarch coupled with a great story that couldn’t be about anyone else.
  • Kelborn likes this

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,861 posts

And while you're at it, get Curze and Perturabo as well. Even Corax. All of those add a lot to their respective characters that elevates them.

I'll second that the Khan one isn't particularly essential, it's just more of the same from Wraight, without really doing anything notable of its own. It's an easy skip. But stuff like Corax puts a bit of a spin on the Primarch that hasn't really been explored in the mainline series, or Perturabo's where various depictions run together well under a bigger umbrella. And Curze is a fantastic character study, rather than an action book that the weakest of the series basically are.

The Primarchs series is at its best when it doesn't simply provide more of what we know, or underlines and explores the core of the characters' personalities and complexes in a new context. It seems like Alpharius does just that.

• Ingo Pech, aa.logan, The Observer and 4 others like this

Tabris

Tabris

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11 posts

Sounds juicy if true.

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,062 posts
Curze was brilliant and probably the best I have read so far. I do need to read more though.
  • animal310, Kelborn and Crix like this
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

aa.logan

aa.logan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 604 posts
I’ve loved something about all the Primarchs books, but would say that Alpharius, Angron, Corax, Perterabo and Curze are the definite highlights and give essential insight; it’s interesting that these characters feature heavily in multiple books and shorts in the mainline series, but have been given to different writers here- is this what breathes fresh life into them?

Edited by aa.logan, 27 January 2021 - 08:01 PM.

• animal310 and Kelborn like this

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,861 posts

It is, if that different writer is Haley :')

• aa.logan likes this

aa.logan

aa.logan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 604 posts
Yeah, hadn’t noticed than commonality...

Fedor

Fedor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 338 posts

Anyone that has finished the book have any thoughts on this theory that is on reddit...

Spoiler

Edited by Fedor, 27 January 2021 - 08:53 PM.

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,742 posts
i like the idea of exploring the nascent days of the crusade and seeing the primarch fraternity through the protagonist's eyes

on DC's point

Spoiler

at least until PoD
  • DarkChaplain likes this

It always amused me that the GW Mail Order ‘Trolls’ as we (starting with me) had always styled ourselves insisted as being rebranded ‘Space Marines’. Why anyone would want to be associated with semi-lobotomized, hypnotically indoctrinated slave-soldiers in thrall to an uncaring (and possibly non-existent) god I couldn’t imagine. - Rick Priestley

Captain Idaho

Captain Idaho

++ ARGENTARIUS IRACUNDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 18,171 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
I'll get the book one way or another and give my verdict, but I don't like a fundamental change.

Here's a question... if it's first person narrative, who is Alpharius talking to? The whole thing could be misinformation.
I've started up a new YouTube channel! Please support me as I attempt to grow it.

Serious Geeks

Kelborn

Kelborn

++ LECTOR HOSPITIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,323 posts
  • Faction: Do bookmarks count?
Don't forget that the XXth Legion was tasked with a Ghost Crusade happening separate from the Great Crusade as mentioned in Exterminatus.

Spoiler

• mc warhammer likes this

Lost Legion, the Predators                                                     Liber Astartes Swap Challenge 2019   

tn_gallery_87379_12273_68539.jpg gallery_26154_15777_13780.png 

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

This is my mod voice. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My mod voice is a means to an end.

Let us avoid it, alright?

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,473 posts
Any reason given for why

Spoiler

Edited by b1soul, 28 January 2021 - 01:03 AM.

Darkwrath121

Darkwrath121

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

Any reason given for why

[spoilers]the DA were hard to infiltrate? Was it the secret handshakes? [/spoiler]

Spoiler

• Ingo Pech likes this

animal310

animal310

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 73 posts

Anyone that has finished the book have any thoughts on this theory that is on reddit...

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by animal310, 28 January 2021 - 10:27 AM.

• Fedor likes this

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,062 posts

Spoiler

Not specifically but it does vaguely pertain to

Spoiler

Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users