Alpharius

animal310

Any reason given for why

[spoilers]the DA were hard to infiltrate? Was it the secret handshakes?

Presumably down to the impractically impenetrable layers of secrecy in the legion. The Hexagrammaton, Hekatonystika etc.

Difficult to infiltrate a legion composed of secret societies and multiple distinct command structures.

He comments that The Lion's instincts were sharper and he believed that The Lion had sensed that something was not right, but in the end he (Jonson) gave no indication if he had worked it out or not.

For some reason Omegon was referred to in the plural initially when Alpharius first meets him, I’ve not worked that out yet
triplet theory confirmed j/k

though...

it would allow for adb's primarch pod scene with a multilimbed occupant of the xx pod to still work. or that rather than being twins or triplets, alpharius repawns? like a hydra head, but alsoa bit too much like vulcan

I think I have worked this out and I should have picked up on it on the first read, I believe that Mike has used ‘them’ ‘their’ and ‘they’ in their usage as singular pronouns as at the time they are used the gender and the identity of the individual Alpharius was referring to was unknown. It may also be a slight tease to the triplet theory but I don’t think it is.

Edited by animal310

Mike mentioned the discussion about a third Primarch in relation to his novel on Twitter. From what I remember, it's not true.

Can't find the tweet, though.

So can someone explain to me how Alpharius landed on terra but his twin brother landed elsewhere? And how that works with "maybe the Emperor doesn't even know about him, who knows?" Plot?
Edited by Captain Idaho

They discuss the possibilities when they meet, one theory they have is that somehow their pod was replicated while in the warp, Alpharius’s landing on Terra and Omegon’s landing on the unnamed planet. Therefore the Emperor would have no knowledge that there were two of them because when the pod’s disappeared there was only one.

Part of Alpharius’s pod was missing as well so it’s possible they were together and their pod was split in the warp, one part landing on Terra the other on the unnamed planet. The Emperor would therefore know about them both and he does make a vague comment about something missing but it’s not clarified what and Alpharius does not discuss his thoughts about this with the Emperor.

Neither Alpharius nor Omegon (apparently) know the truth, which obviously fits with the Legion and its left ambiguous.
Edited by animal310

The Emperor would therefore know about them both and he does make a vague comment about something missing

Question about the Emperor

Am I correct that Emperor learned about Omegon when Horus discovered him? He and Malcador knew about Alpharius, and suddenly Horus meets 'another' Alpharius. If not, perhaps they thought this was a joke of Alpharius or his attempt to reveal himself to wider Imperium... Though why he did this so late, 180 years after the start of the Great Crusade? Was it permitted by Emperor at all?

I’m reluctant to spoil much more, it’s a great book and reading it will provide a lot of the answers (much better than any explanation here). I do really think that BL, and their customers would be better served by releasing the special, hardback and digital editions at the same time so that everyone can read the book at the same time. I cannot understand why they do not do this! The Special editions will sell out anyway in about 10 minutes.

To answer your question though,

No the Emperor did not learn about Omegon because when Horus discovered him he claimed to be Alpharius.  Until Omegon was ‘found’, no one outside of the Alpha Legion (and a very small number of others) knew of Alpharius existence. If the Emperor did not know that there were two of them originally then he would have just assumed that this was Alpharius finally revealing himself. It was so late because they wanted to wait until all the other Primarchs were found first to get a read on them. There is more to it but as I said, the book covers it best.
Edited by animal310

Anyone that has finished the book have any thoughts on this theory that is on reddit...

That the book proves/heavily suggests that Alpharius and Omegon actually switched identities the entire time from the two meeting, right through to the end of the heresy Or is the switch in it just said to be for the fleet attack reveal against Horus?

No, not sure where anyone is getting that, they agree that Omegon should be the one to be 'found' by Horus to ensure a more genuine reaction to him as Alpharius had set eyes on him before. Alpharius does remark that he "would love to see it", so he was probably there as well as a Luna Wolf!

Thanks. The theory thread is on 40klore subreddit if you're interested in reading it.

So I have not bought or read a single Primarchs novel. They just do not interest me and the series has clearly been a mixed bag.

However, I do really like Mike Brooks writing so am wondering when Alpharius comes out in Std HB whether to get it?

Confess to losing track of all the lore stuff from time-to-time so having read the spoilers I am not sure those reveals would bother me either way.

Yes, do get it.

Some of the books in the series feel less ‘essential’ than others; the Khan one, for example, is great, but we have seen plenty of him elsewhere. Ferrus Manus has it’s fans, but I didn’t feel all I learnt much about him or what made his Legion tick coming away from reading it. Alpharius hits the sweet spot- relatively little explored Primarch coupled with a great story that couldn’t be about anyone else.

Thanks. Looks like I will need to get this and maybe a few other Primarch books (but not the series)

Query

So Dorn, whos a bit of a brick, can figure out which one is Alphi in a group.

But none of his other brothers, Psyker, smellovision, secretist, spotted him over what, the 160 years he was poking around the legions?

Asf a primarch has never seen Magnus, a shape shifting projectionist in his true form. Which also seems to be Alphis power, more so than John cant see me Corax. Dorn only seems to see the physical.

Which kind of implies that hes some sort of Psykik blank.

Query

But none of his other brothers, Psyker, smellovision, secretist, spotted him over what, the 160 years he was poking around the legions?

Asf a primarch has never seen Magnus, a shape shifting projectionist in his true form. Which also seems to be Alphis power, more so than John cant see me Corax. Dorn only seems to see the physical.

I think dorn has

kind of a "reality" amplifier effect, and can reinforce real space and weaken warp

Query

I think dorn has

kind of a "reality" amplifier effect, and can reinforce real space and weaken warp

That would explain why no one really seems comfortable around him...

Edited by Arendious

Wasn't Dorn capable of seeing "little defects" as per The Lightning Tower? Maybe he could percieve Alpharius disguised among his warriors focusing on the faults of his acting. That wouldn't explain how could he infiltrate the Fists at one point though.

Well in the confrontation with dorn you have to ask yourself a number of questions, some of which will be spoilered;

is it just alpharius who has the "camouflage power" or is it both of them?

Who was there alpahrius or omegon?

was the power actually being used?

Did he intend to actually trick dorn?

Did he intend to prove his superiority by tricking dorn?

Now imo

I think both of them have the camouflage ability, as it would be too inconsistent otherwise. Both omegon and alpharius have hidden or disguised themselves as non-primarchs so to try and say that in situation X it was just a good costume but in situation Y it was the power is a bit of a reach. I also think that "Omegon" is the 1st primarch and "Alpharius" is the 21st; theres too many situations where the presented alpharius is trying to prove something or is insecure or angry. If he was the 1st and infiltrated the various legions and was fine with staying hidden I don't think he'd freak out on abbadon for not being respectful, or have a fit when the chondax storms blew out. I also don't think his military technique with his preferred method would be sloppy enough for dorn to just do it better.

In the context of the dorn meeting I think it was "alpharius" (the 21st) who was in the meeting, but I don't think he was using the power. If you're trying to flex and show superiority then cheating undermines the entire thing and robs it of the satisfaction. Dorn simply had good perception and caught him out.

from memory alpharius confirms dorn guessed correctly....then again it would be within alpharius' mo to let dorn believe that

if we take all the fiction at face value up to this point, it would seem that the primarch uses everything from cosmetic surgery, to blood infusion mind wiping and his innate perception shifting powers given the circumstance. the showdown between the two primarchs could have been a blend of any of those or just one.

Too many variables in the scene where Dorn identifies Alpharius. We don't know if Alpharius was relying on "conventional" abilities or some more esoteric power. We also don't know how Dorn saw through the disguise. To be fair, it would not be in Dorn's interest to reveal Alpharius's "tell" in case he needed to use it again. Did Dorn notice some subtle flaw or does he have some ability of his own to see through deceptions?

"Those who do not lie are not easily fooled!"

I could swear that one of the short stories (I think it was the Primarchs anthology) has Omegon specifically saying he has a bit of archaeotech that allows him to hide his size and generate a disguise. Its been years though, so grain of salt.

That would be a very handy little piece of gear though.

I'm impressed, to say the least. Never thought I'd ever be so anxious to read an Alpha Legion book, but here we are!

I could swear that one of the short stories (I think it was the Primarchs anthology) has Omegon specifically saying he has a bit of archaeotech that allows him to hide his size and generate a disguise. Its been years though, so grain of salt.

That would be a very handy little piece of gear though.

I remember that, thought it was in Legion that they're mentioned.

The Custodes use similar devices for Blood Games/infiltration.

Edited by Darkwrath121

You mean the falsehoods? They're pretty much a catchall stealth device; size distortion right to invisibility.

I feel like it have come from deliverance lost if anywhere, but either way, it might throw my theory into doubt. It also might be a lie, like "prototype reflex technology" of the raven guard.