Alpharius

animal310

Finally read it cover to cover.

Loved it. Alpharius was an unexpectedly amusing protagonist, I would not have expected "Alpharius runs on RPG PC logic" to be a valid comment, and  ALPHARIUS, HUMANITARIAN OF THE IMPERIUM is my new favorite joke. Lore-compliant, the complaints are silly, and my only complaint is that it could have been longer.

10/10 would definitely read again.

For those of you trashing the author I suggest you read the book

Best Primarch book written

It would appear he's read and likely talked to Dan Abnett about his take as it feels linked in completely

Spoiler comment also contains spoiler from Alpharius

In Penitent

Valdor is the king in yellow running a pocket dimension massing an army

From Bequins comments about an alpha legion astartes being present with Eisenhorn then two pages on talking to Deathrow who is Alpharius

Is this the Primarch? Sounds like it is

She says twins talking about Alpharius and relates it to herself being cloned

I thought Dan pretty much confirmed it was Alpharius

Given he's alive and Omegon is dead as per Alpharius book confirmationing they swapped I felt it was him

Alpharius always lead important ground operations himself so its no surprise he is there himself

Most importantly psykers cannot read his mind

Malcador was unable to read his, Helped teach Alpharius to screen his mind

So Eisenhorn and Ravenor simply think its a general astartes when it's actually Alpharius himself

For those who were not aware Alpharius was the first Primarch found and was trained by Malcador

After finding Omegon he switched places with Omegon and lead from the shadows

Omegon led the legion during the heresy

Dorn killed Omegon

Alpharius knew Valdor very early on and it was Alpharius who started the blood games

It's fitting for him to be here in this book

Well done Dan

ngl this was 100% going through my mind. is abnett straight up marionetting everything to lead up to pandaemonium? hot damn.

This is really REALLY good...up there with (IMO) the best entries of the series, i.e. Palatine Phoenix, Warhawk, Perturabo, Curze, Great Wolf

It captures that pragmatism of the Alpha Legion first fleshed out in Abnett's Legion. Depending on your point of view, it's either heartless reptilian scheming for the sake of scheming or noble, self-sacrificing pragmatism that can achieve victory perhaps more humanely than the less subtle methods of many other legions. And neither the AL nor their primaries ever come across as over the top memes.

I've never been a huge AL fan but this is just great writing. Mike Brooks is one of the best in the BL stable IMO.

That happens in some cases, sure.

This is written from an early Great Crusade Alpharius' perspective...

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this story chronologically only reaches Alpharius finding Omegon and Alpharius/Omegon meeting Horus at latest

...so there is room for AL tactics to get more callous and extreme closer to the Heresy and of course, the criticisms are often coming from the AL's fraternal detractors (who often break or raze worlds themselves as well)

I mean, given Alpharius started his career by

murdering a custodian
and there's a reference to the Dorn incident that we saw in Praetorian, it's safe to say the sort of thing that annoyed his brothers was already well underway at this point. Assassinations, disruption, and "dishonorable tactics" were always sort of a thing, there was just more and more complaining about them stirred up by Guilliman as time went on. Edited by Lucerne

It wasn't so much the dishonorable part, more the sense that from the old fluff guilliman noted that the end result of their attack method left too many civil functionaries dead and disrupted the world too much compared to a faster traditional warfare; it was just inefficient showing off.

Now if it's just a classic bias forming a popular in-universe perception I'm fine with that. Guilliman has been hilariously wrong and shown to have bias when commenting on military strategy and tactics like how he views the night lords despite them beating his compliance metrixs according to curze.

It wasn't so much the dishonorable part, more the sense that from the old fluff guilliman noted that the end result of their attack method left too many civil functionaries dead and disrupted the world too much compared to a faster traditional warfare; it was just inefficient showing off.

Now if it's just a classic bias forming a popular in-universe perception I'm fine with that. Guilliman has been hilariously wrong and shown to have bias when commenting on military strategy and tactics like how he views the night lords despite them beating his compliance metrixs according to curze.

I mean, Guilliman was clearly being a pedant with a bad case of sour grapes there, given the context about wanting to showboat his own tactics and refusing to acknowledge the merits of how the AL handled that invasion, namely minimal casualties to their own. (Also keep in mind that that particular world was always going to be a mess due to the rigid caste system and them having every intent of going down swinging) Dishonorable is an accusation Guiliman and Dorn have thrown at them.

Edited by Lucerne

Judging by what happens in the book itself...

The AL's CIA-style operations to back the opposition and/or "destabilize" the target can result in "regime-change" (or whatever objective is desired) with considerably less blood spilled than would have been spilled in a conventional invasion...or result in a failed state torn apart by internal strife, which would require yet another regime-change or a conventional invasion. It all depends on how well the AL manage blowback from their operations.

We get a taste of something like this in the book:

On one occasion, the AL actually backs local insurrectionists against an Imperial planetary government so that their initial success results in the leaders going public (or at least making themselves easily identifiable by AL operatives). The plan is for AL headhunters to assassinate the leaders before the insurrection mushrooms out of control. The leaders are put down, but the insurrection has caused a lot of pent-up anger among the mostly pro-Imperial general public, despite the insurrectionist leaders having just been quietly eliminated. The public starts to blame the foreign refugee population (huge numbers fleeing from the Rangdans) for damage and violence which was actually perpetrated by the local insurrection: the pro-Imperials just need someone to blame and take out their anger on. The AL have to reveal their presence, stepping in as Imperial Space Marines to avoid a local vs. refugee bloodbath.

On another occasion, the AL revive a local planetary insurrection which was successfully suppressed by local planetary authorities (non-Imperial) several decades ago. This is to weaken the planet's ability to resist an incoming Imperial Fists compliance force. Idea is that once pro-government and insurrectionists forces viciously duke it out for a while, normal citizens will just want peace and stability (which the Imperials will offer). That would of course depend on local strife not becoming so total that society at every segment is thrown into chaos and drawn into hatred and bloodshed. The nature of the old insurrection (used as an AL tool this time) and the timing of the IF arrival would be key. It is later revealed that the insurrection revived was Khornate in nature (Alpharius doesn't seem aware of the Chaos connection), with the implication being that this would not help the IF or a productive compliance, as they'd now have to deal with a society in the throes of a revived Khornate blood-cult.

Edit: Definitely some thought-provoking real-world analogies to be made here, which I think makes this some great writing

Edited by b1soul

Several chapters in on audio and so far the book is fantastic. All primarch books I am least interested in are great. Leman, Perturabo, and now Alpharius are all great books, while the primarchs I’m most interested in are not so good.

Finished it this morning.

Loved it 

Minor quible is that Alpharius for all his so called intelligence makes some horrendously bad calls about his fellow primarchs

Perturabo humble ?

And underestimating Dorn cost him his life.

He's his own special kind of jerk and it permeates everything he says. I really like him on a certain level, and at the same time he's kind of insufferable and I want to punch him? It's a tight rope that I think Mike Brooks has walked really well here.

Early on, Malcador seems to suggest they had another role in mind for Alpharius and the XXth..

He trailed off, and sighed. "This was not intended to be your destiny, but it is the hand that fate has dealt you. Has dealt us all, in fact."

Something I've wondered is if the original purpose of the Alpha Legion might have been as a sort of Scout Company/Training Operations Legion who mainly focus on strategic wargames, with both Primarchs playing simulations out against each other constantly. It could be said that without his opposite number, Alpharius simply starts playing out wargame exercises on absolutely everyone and everything that he can. Passing as a regular legionary would allow the Primarchs to participate in different roles in their exercizes, and gain experience and perspective without causing that Primarch-level trans-human dread & awe. Ideally, maybe the legionaries of the XXth would have functioned more like tactical advisors and be distributed through the Crusade fleets, thus their inherent decentralized thinking. Think the Mentors but by the Emperor's original design?

The darker take on this is that they would mostly be playing simulations against themselves, Astartes, so maybe they were really meant as more of an anti-Legion secret/military police watchdog in lieu of the Space Wolves? They're both a part of the Trefoil along with the Salamanders, so there's something there. Fun to speculate on, though there's plenty of contrary evidence to these ideas out there too.

All the primarchs are insufferable to an extent.

In this, Alpharius/Omegon actually came across as semi-reasonable...preferring to avoid unnecessary civilian or Astartes fatalities, for example, when he spares and recruits the mortals who sighted Omegon and carries his wounded librarian, later acknowledging his librarian's sacrifice in his very pragmatic way.

However, Alpharius/Omegon very much have a preferred style of warfare. They basically practice the modern concept of hybrid war to destabilize enemy states, and have a tendency to insist that this style of warfare will produce results optimal for the Imperium.

Brooks also does a good job highlighting Alph's ego, without being too on-the-nose.

Overall, I really enjoyed the book. Just one thing continuing to bother me...

Did Horus and the Lion just NEVER compare notes about Alpharius after he (actually Omegon) was "found" by Horus' fleet?

Because much earlier, when Alpharius meets the Lion (while pretending to be simply an officer in the Alpha Legion), he tells him "I am Alpharius" with the reasoning that the name would mean nothing to the Lion and so it was one less lie he had to tell in front of a brother who had no small ability to detect untruths. There's no attempt at trying to handwave this away with the idea that the Alpha Legion somehow knows their primarch's name and are using it respectfully until he is actually found. Nope, "Alpharius" to the Lion is simply a member of the Alpha Legion, albeit a high-ranking one.

So what does the Lion think later on when the Alpha Legion's primarch shows up and - coincidence of all coincidences - HIS name is actually Alpharius, a fact that the Alpha Legionnaries he had met with years earlier would have had no way of knowing?

Does the Lion just assume that Alpharius adopts that name AFTER meeting with his legion? And does he simply never ask Horus what name their brother gave him at the time of their meeting (assuming it must have been something OTHER than Alpharius?)

Unless I missed something, this is a glaring indictment of the Lion's intellect, as the second he heard that the primarch of the twentieth had been found and that he called himself Alpharius, he should have been hearing alarm bells going off in his brain and asking himself how it was possible that the primarch shared the same "unique" given name as a low-ranking member of his legion who had never met his primarch or knew what name he would be going by.

DID I miss something?

Edited by Lord Nord

The Lion keeps his thoughts very close to his chest. He likely had his suspicions or even knew that

the "Space Marine" trying to parley with him about the Warmaster position was a primarch or something much more than an SM. Note that primarchs have a knack for recognizing their brothers and the Lion is described as being one of the most perceptive among the fraternity.

Before that parley, when the Emperor found the Lion and he met some Dark Angel SM (Alpharius was posing as one), the Lion sensed something was off...though we don't know what exactly the Lion suspected.

After that parley and after the "discovery" of Alpharius by Horus, the Lion would've come into contact with Alpharius and/or Omegon in their primarch capacities. He could've then again suspected that Alpharius was posing as one of the DA marines shortly after the Lion met the Emperor and as one of the AL marines during the "Warmaster parley" and that Horus' discovery was not really genuine. But the Lion doesn't have to say all of this and let the Alpha Legion know what he suspects.

Another matter is that there's no way that a Primarch was operating with their Legion in secret without the Emperor's permission, and as someone both heavily loyal to the Emperor and with his own tendency to secrecy and byzantine organisation, he may have just assumed he was supposed to keep his mouth shut, or just kept it and his knowledge of the whole war master business as an advantage.

Plus, saying you've been in secret conspiratorial meetings with secret conspiratorial people about obtaining a position of power over other Primarchs may not be the best look.

I just finished the book, I couldn't put it down once I started! It is among top three HH novels/stories I have read (around 20 HH novels, first two SoT and various HH short stories).

It is very well written! Definetely worth reading! I find his story unique; Almost all other primarchs are found on some world that the subdue and rule over and then to some extent transfers that world's traditions and culture onto their legion when found by the emperor, so almost all other primarch stories have a common principle of their story outline. But this one fundamentally different in that regard. Love it!

Alpharius is depicted in a very sympathic and pragmatic way. He does have a lot of esteem and consideration for his own legionnaires and humans in general, but so lightheartedly kills other imperial elite (custodes and other legion's astartes that guards doors and such), it feels strange that he would just kill custodes and astartes for the sake of passsing a door or hallway, he could just knock them unconscious in a spec-opsy way.

A significant amount of 30k novels are way long for their story, many I feel could be cut down by half in lenght, however this one is the only one I felt that should be longer! Then is good but I was abrupt and I feel I wanted more.

I think the that the bottom line of Alpharius and his legion is that the emperor don't feel a complete trust in all of his primarchs and their legions, he sees a need for one of them to corvertly be the ear and eyes (and sometimes the little secret ladle that stirs the soup pot of the great crusade) and therefore creates Alpharius wit that that specific gene-seed that makes him the most covert-opsy/psyopsy primarch.

Edited by Imren

i think those are all plausible rationale for the lion's take on the situation. if anything

it just makes me wonder what alpharius is playing at. if he soft launches himself to the lion years before his orchestrated discovery, why not have omegon just claim the "omegon" to avoid confusion/suspicion relating back to the meeting with the 1st primarch?

this might circle back to the original interpretation of the alpha legion psyche: it's not enough to be cleverer than everyone else; they need everyone to know it too. like a serial killer who can't help but leave clues, maybe alpharius wanted to leave this nugget as a nod and a wink to the lion?

reading the excerpt from the lion novel, it seems even an standard astartes of the dark angels can feel an uncanny resemblance between "alpharius" and the dark angel primarch. it does seem as though alpharius is being both practical and dangerously flamboyont

Edited by mc warhammer

i think those are all plausible rationale for the lion's take on the situation. if anything

it just makes me wonder what alpharius is playing at. if he soft launches himself to the lion years before his orchestrated discovery, why not have omegon just claim the "omegon" to avoid confusion/suspicion relating back to the meeting with the 1st primarch?

this might circle back to the original interpretation of the alpha legion psyche: it's not enough to be cleverer than everyone else; they need everyone to know it too. like a serial killer who can't help but leave clues, maybe alpharius wanted to leave this nugget as a nod and a wink to the lion?

reading the excerpt from the lion novel, it seems even an standard astartes of the dark angels can feel an uncanny resemblance between "alpharius" and the dark angel primarch. it does seem as though alpharius is being both practical and dangerously flamboyont

I think Alpharius (and Omegon) wants themselves to be completetly each other redundancies, really be the same role in two persons. This is extended to their legion, several captains/harrowers are trained to be able to lead the legion themselves as if they themselves where the primarch, hence having the hydra as their symbol (genius, you cut of the head and another grows right back!)

We know that the AL stole the genetic material to create space marines and we know that Fabius Bile was able to clone primarchs.

A good idea for a future novel set in 40K would be a still alive Alpharius  having struck a deal with Fabius Bile To clone himself/Omegon.

Edited by godking

We know that the AL stole the genetic material to create space marines and we know that Fabius Bile was able to clone primarchs.

A good idea for a future novel set in 40K would be a still alive Alpharius  having struck a deal with Fabius Bile To clone himself/Omegon.

Alas by posting that story idea @godking it is pretty impossible it will see print, as you could sue the publisher...

Edited by Petitioner's City

I'm getting near the end now and have really enjoyed the concept of his discovery and a lot of his insights into his brothers as he's always been a favourite of mine.

But...

There is this little voice in my head telling me this is a first hand account from Alpharius himself, who has told me throughout the story that he is the master of lies and I find myself questioning if any of this is true. :biggrin.: