Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Alpharius

• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,861 posts

Hardback and audiobook editions are gonna go up on Saturday, according to WarCom.

• Ingo Pech and Kelborn like this

Lucerne

Lucerne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 1,324 posts

Finally read it cover to cover.

Loved it. Alpharius was an unexpectedly amusing protagonist, I would not have expected "Alpharius runs on RPG PC logic" to be a valid comment, and  ALPHARIUS, HUMANITARIAN OF THE IMPERIUM is my new favorite joke. Lore-compliant, the complaints are silly, and my only complaint is that it could have been longer.

10/10 would definitely read again.

• Noserenda, nusphigor, Arendious and 3 others like this
https://twitter.com/...318432949927938

"The Alpha Legion has- in spirit if not in body- remained much the same since its creation."

"Agents of stealth and misrule they may be, but when the Alpha Legion unleash their martial might, worlds shake at their tread."

Apothecary Vaddon

Apothecary Vaddon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,344 posts
  • Faction: n/a, don't do TT

For those of you trashing the author I suggest you read the book
Best Primarch book written
It would appear he's read and likely talked to Dan Abnett about his take as it feels linked in completely

Spoiler comment also contains spoiler from Alpharius

Spoiler

Well done Dan

Spoiler

matcap86

matcap86

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 340 posts
  • Faction: DA, Custo, Ad-mech, GsC, SoB
Juist finished this book. Absolutely fantastic. Best book in the primarch series. Gives a unique perspective, ties lots of stories together, feels grounded in the lore. And I am not even an Alpha legion fan!
  • RedFurioso likes this

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,473 posts
This is really REALLY good...up there with (IMO) the best entries of the series, i.e. Palatine Phoenix, Warhawk, Perturabo, Curze, Great Wolf

It captures that pragmatism of the Alpha Legion first fleshed out in Abnett's Legion. Depending on your point of view, it's either heartless reptilian scheming for the sake of scheming or noble, self-sacrificing pragmatism that can achieve victory perhaps more humanely than the less subtle methods of many other legions. And neither the AL nor their primaries ever come across as over the top memes.

I've never been a huge AL fan but this is just great writing. Mike Brooks is one of the best in the BL stable IMO.
  • Ingo Pech and Roomsky like this

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,708 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard and VIII Legion
I might be misremembering, but I thought that in the older fluff the AL were criticized for the huge infrastructure damage they caused from a Harrowing due to all the assassinations.

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,473 posts
That happens in some cases, sure.

This is written from an early Great Crusade Alpharius' perspective...

Spoiler

...so there is room for AL tactics to get more callous and extreme closer to the Heresy and of course, the criticisms are often coming from the AL's fraternal detractors (who often break or raze worlds themselves as well)

Lucerne

Lucerne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 1,324 posts

I mean, given Alpharius started his career by

Spoiler
and there's a reference to the Dorn incident that we saw in Praetorian, it's safe to say the sort of thing that annoyed his brothers was already well underway at this point. Assassinations, disruption, and "dishonorable tactics" were always sort of a thing, there was just more and more complaining about them stirred up by Guilliman as time went on.

Edited by Lucerne, 14 April 2021 - 04:07 PM.

"The Alpha Legion has- in spirit if not in body- remained much the same since its creation."

"Agents of stealth and misrule they may be, but when the Alpha Legion unleash their martial might, worlds shake at their tread."

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,708 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard and VIII Legion
It wasn't so much the dishonorable part, more the sense that from the old fluff guilliman noted that the end result of their attack method left too many civil functionaries dead and disrupted the world too much compared to a faster traditional warfare; it was just inefficient showing off.

Now if it's just a classic bias forming a popular in-universe perception I'm fine with that. Guilliman has been hilariously wrong and shown to have bias when commenting on military strategy and tactics like how he views the night lords despite them beating his compliance metrixs according to curze.
  • mc warhammer likes this

Lucerne

Lucerne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 1,324 posts

It wasn't so much the dishonorable part, more the sense that from the old fluff guilliman noted that the end result of their attack method left too many civil functionaries dead and disrupted the world too much compared to a faster traditional warfare; it was just inefficient showing off.

Now if it's just a classic bias forming a popular in-universe perception I'm fine with that. Guilliman has been hilariously wrong and shown to have bias when commenting on military strategy and tactics like how he views the night lords despite them beating his compliance metrixs according to curze.

I mean, Guilliman was clearly being a pedant with a bad case of sour grapes there, given the context about wanting to showboat his own tactics and refusing to acknowledge the merits of how the AL handled that invasion, namely minimal casualties to their own. (Also keep in mind that that particular world was always going to be a mess due to the rigid caste system and them having every intent of going down swinging) Dishonorable is an accusation Guiliman and Dorn have thrown at them.

Edited by Lucerne, 14 April 2021 - 05:11 PM.

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,473 posts
Judging by what happens in the book itself...

Spoiler

Edited by b1soul, 15 April 2021 - 01:52 AM.

• mc warhammer, Noserenda, Dumah and 1 other like this

rookie40K

rookie40K

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 315 posts
Several chapters in on audio and so far the book is fantastic. All primarch books I am least interested in are great. Leman, Perturabo, and now Alpharius are all great books, while the primarchs I’m most interested in are not so good.

godking

godking

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 261 posts

Finished it this morning.

Loved it 

Minor quible is that Alpharius for all his so called intelligence makes some horrendously bad calls about his fellow primarchs

Perturabo humble ?

And underestimating Dorn cost him his life.

Daemon Prince Marbas

Daemon Prince Marbas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 513 posts
  • Faction: Fallen Angels
I'm reading all these spoilers and cheesing so hard. Alpharius is officially my new favorite primarch.
  • Arendious likes this

LetsYouDown

LetsYouDown

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,773 posts
  • Faction: Legio Vulpa

He's his own special kind of jerk and it permeates everything he says. I really like him on a certain level, and at the same time he's kind of insufferable and I want to punch him? It's a tight rope that I think Mike Brooks has walked really well here.

Early on, Malcador seems to suggest they had another role in mind for Alpharius and the XXth..

He trailed off, and sighed. "This was not intended to be your destiny, but it is the hand that fate has dealt you. Has dealt us all, in fact."

Something I've wondered is if the original purpose of the Alpha Legion might have been as a sort of Scout Company/Training Operations Legion who mainly focus on strategic wargames, with both Primarchs playing simulations out against each other constantly. It could be said that without his opposite number, Alpharius simply starts playing out wargame exercises on absolutely everyone and everything that he can. Passing as a regular legionary would allow the Primarchs to participate in different roles in their exercizes, and gain experience and perspective without causing that Primarch-level trans-human dread & awe. Ideally, maybe the legionaries of the XXth would have functioned more like tactical advisors and be distributed through the Crusade fleets, thus their inherent decentralized thinking. Think the Mentors but by the Emperor's original design?

The darker take on this is that they would mostly be playing simulations against themselves, Astartes, so maybe they were really meant as more of an anti-Legion secret/military police watchdog in lieu of the Space Wolves? They're both a part of the Trefoil along with the Salamanders, so there's something there. Fun to speculate on, though there's plenty of contrary evidence to these ideas out there too.
  • Noserenda and Ingo Pech like this

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,473 posts
All the primarchs are insufferable to an extent.

Spoiler

Lord Nord

Lord Nord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,068 posts

Overall, I really enjoyed the book. Just one thing continuing to bother me...

Spoiler

Edited by Lord Nord, 19 April 2021 - 12:39 AM.

I wouldn't even gatekeep you.

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,473 posts
The Lion keeps his thoughts very close to his chest. He likely had his suspicions or even knew that

Spoiler

Beren

Beren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,275 posts
Spoiler

Imren

Imren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 782 posts
  • Faction: Legio XX

I just finished the book, I couldn't put it down once I started! It is among top three HH novels/stories I have read (around 20 HH novels, first two SoT and various HH short stories).

It is very well written! Definetely worth reading! I find his story unique; Almost all other primarchs are found on some world that the subdue and rule over and then to some extent transfers that world's traditions and culture onto their legion when found by the emperor, so almost all other primarch stories have a common principle of their story outline. But this one fundamentally different in that regard. Love it!

Alpharius is depicted in a very sympathic and pragmatic way. He does have a lot of esteem and consideration for his own legionnaires and humans in general, but so lightheartedly kills other imperial elite (custodes and other legion's astartes that guards doors and such), it feels strange that he would just kill custodes and astartes for the sake of passsing a door or hallway, he could just knock them unconscious in a spec-opsy way.

A significant amount of 30k novels are way long for their story, many I feel could be cut down by half in lenght, however this one is the only one I felt that should be longer! Then is good but I was abrupt and I feel I wanted more.

I think the that the bottom line of Alpharius and his legion is that the emperor don't feel a complete trust in all of his primarchs and their legions, he sees a need for one of them to corvertly be the ear and eyes (and sometimes the little secret ladle that stirs the soup pot of the great crusade) and therefore creates Alpharius wit that that specific gene-seed that makes him the most covert-opsy/psyopsy primarch.

Edited by Imren, 19 April 2021 - 08:33 AM.

• Kelborn and RedFurioso like this

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,742 posts

i think those are all plausible rationale for the lion's take on the situation. if anything

Spoiler

Edited by mc warhammer, 19 April 2021 - 08:25 AM.

It always amused me that the GW Mail Order ‘Trolls’ as we (starting with me) had always styled ourselves insisted as being rebranded ‘Space Marines’. Why anyone would want to be associated with semi-lobotomized, hypnotically indoctrinated slave-soldiers in thrall to an uncaring (and possibly non-existent) god I couldn’t imagine. - Rick Priestley

Imren

Imren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 782 posts
  • Faction: Legio XX

i think those are all plausible rationale for the lion's take on the situation. if anything

Spoiler

I think Alpharius (and Omegon) wants themselves to be completetly each other redundancies, really be the same role in two persons. This is extended to their legion, several captains/harrowers are trained to be able to lead the legion themselves as if they themselves where the primarch, hence having the hydra as their symbol (genius, you cut of the head and another grows right back!)

godking

godking

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 261 posts

We know that the AL stole the genetic material to create space marines and we know that Fabius Bile was able to clone primarchs.

A good idea for a future novel set in 40K would be a still alive Alpharius  having struck a deal with Fabius Bile To clone himself/Omegon.

Edited by godking, 19 April 2021 - 08:15 PM.

• Ingo Pech likes this

Petitioner's City

Petitioner's City

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,023 posts

We know that the AL stole the genetic material to create space marines and we know that Fabius Bile was able to clone primarchs.

A good idea for a future novel set in 40K would be a still alive Alpharius  having struck a deal with Fabius Bile To clone himself/Omegon.

Alas by posting that story idea @godking it is pretty impossible it will see print, as you could sue the publisher...

Edited by Petitioner's City, 20 April 2021 - 09:05 AM.

Cinema itself is a trick of time — still pictures passed through a focused beam of light at 24 frames per second. We are reminded of that in La Jetée...

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,358 posts

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users