Dual Forgefiend Loadout and Army

Prot

I've come across a rare opportunity to come possess two unbuilt Forgefiends. 

I have a few conundrums and thought I should bounce it off of you guys before going any further. 

Someone told me you could build the model in the "Maulerfiend" position, then use the slots on the side of the body that is meant for the "Tendrils" and magnetize it to rotate between the Tendrils, and then magnetize the weapon mounts for the Forgefiend variants.

Well I couldn't get that to fit so I started tearing the model down. Now I'm thinking just making the shooty variant, but I'm not even sure what's getting the better use. For 10 points difference you can go with the Ectoplasma arms, and 20 more for the ecto head. So it's nearly a wash with the 10 points difference.

So which loadout is your favourite?  I feel like Hades will be more popular for the 2 wounds, but the Ecto over charged seems like a strong option (if only it wasn't D3 damage!)

I have a second issue which I guess is a personal decision but I can't decide whether to put these guys in the Black Legion or Thousand Sons. I guess that's for me to decide, but it does feel like the Thousand Sons need this because of lack of options (melta guns, Venomcrawlers, even Havocs, and Oblits. (even though they are quite different options.)

Anyway, just curious what you guys have experienced in 9th with your Forgefiends (even if negative.)

Well I just finished magnetizing. I don’t want to paint them because I have no idea if they will go in Black Legion or Thousand Soms. And now that I’ve seen the changes to standard shared units in Death Guard, who knows what will happen to the Fiends. I mean look at the Defiler. 

I painted mine blue because like you say, the TS need the support more. That said, it doesn't really matter if you have a random blue mauler in your black legion army, right? Maybe it's on loan from a sorcerer. 

Id also go dual hades, one ecto head. It's better right now, but who knows in the future. If ecto goes to flat 2/3 damage, it'll be tasty. 

My blue mauler is here if you need an idea of what it'll look like. 

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/265816-xeniths-chaos-come-on-feel-the-noize/?p=5172020

Edited by Xenith

Thank you for the inspiration! I appreciate it. And I am thinking of going blue for the Tsons, and I did the magnets:

med_gallery_2760_12702_324170.jpg

I drilled my thumb a bit on one pass... ouch. And no, all was not dust... there was a bit of blood. lol

All is good though. As I was uploading this picture I found an ooooold picture of one of my earlier Thousand Sons army Forgefiends (this army sold a long time ago.)

med_gallery_2760_12702_152943.jpg

Hrmm... I will have to beat this attempt with a better paint job. Ugh, probably going to be very time consuming!

I might be crazy to do this, but I have also lined a game up vs a new Sisters of Battle army. Although the player is not experienced with SoB, let's be honest, they are some top tier stuff.

I will discuss the list strategy in the Thousand Sons section so I don't muddy up this project thread, but how crazy am I to attempt this match up? Pre new codex I might just be in for a world of hurt!

The game is tomorrow and my opponent says he has no problem if I bring Magnus. Yea, I'm sure he doesn't! I don't think he would list tailor, however, it doesn't feel like Magnus is a good choice... .anyway, I think the Fiends will be Thousand Sons, but I will test them in this game first.