What new units would you like?

rye0006

IF... (this is not a rumour, just a chance for fans to wishlist) IF... there were new units released for the genestealer cult army, what would you like to see?

Personally my army is going to be mainly bikes, so extra things along those lines would be great. Maybe some bike and sidecar models with the passenger sporting a cool gun.

Or how about a big laser mining vehicle?

Take the Baby Carrier theme to it's logical conclusion and give us a cargo-hauler ALA Aliens. Sure it'd be a death trap (and the Sentinel Hauler is already a thing) but repurposing civilian equipment which exposes the driver makes more sense on GSC than anyone else considering GW's fetish for them.

I'd like to see a Paddy Wagon to represent police/Enforcers turned to their side and mix up the GSC from all being industrial workers. It's probably redundant with the Goliath Truck existing mind you.

Absolutely yes to the limo. Maybe it could be a hybrid (appropriately) of the original Cult limousine and the Goliath, akin to a current-day stretched hummer.

That aside, I think I'd rather see buffs to units we already have than a swathe of new units - you know, choppier metamorphs, tougher aberrants, bonus attacks like marines, reroll charges like orks. I heard someone discussing the Cult recently, and they pointed out that our big schtick is deployment - we have tricks in the deployment phase, and we have tricks with reinforcements. But once we've done that, we look a bit thin. After all, when we come in from ambush, we still face a 9" charge most of the time, which means only a third of our units succeed, and the rest stand around barely even looking menacing. Or we come in piecemeal to make use of CP buffs. So that's where I'd like to see changes.

But also stompy walkers, or some kind of flying unit would be nice.

And access to the assault drill - about as on-theme a vehicle as there could possibly be.

Edited by Rogue

Absolutely yes to the limo. Maybe it could be a hybrid (appropriately) of the original Cult limousine and the Goliath, akin to a current-day stretched hummer.

That aside, I think I'd rather see buffs to units we already have than a swathe of new units - you know, choppier metamorphs, tougher aberrants, bonus attacks like marines, reroll charges like orks. I heard someone discussing the Cult recently, and they pointed out that our big schtick is deployment - we have tricks in the deployment phase, and we have tricks with reinforcements. But once we've done that, we look a bit thin. After all, when we come in from ambush, we still face a 9" charge most of the time, which means only a third of our units succeed, and the rest stand around barely even looking menacing. Or we come in piecemeal to make use of CP buffs. So that's where I'd like to see changes.

But also stompy walkers, or some kind of flying unit would be nice.

And access to the assault drill - about as on-theme a vehicle as there could possibly be.

Deployment is our schtick. With the newer board size, and new units like the marines that deny deepstrike within 12" it feels like we're at a huge disadvantage. Also our infantry is not tough for staying around and holding objectives.

Yeah, that would be nice. Possibly too nice - stealers moving 8", advancing d6+2, charging and then fighting at S5, anyone? - but they're still expensive, and it's not like we're wiping tables clean right now.

Plus, importantly, most of the Cult's genestealers are the offspring of the 4th generation hybrids. Which means that, in theory, they should be benefiting from the creed. They're not tyranid interlopers - they're descendants of the patriarch like everyone else.

A named patriarch could fit that bill. I have the classic Throned Genestealer Patriarch metal model. I plan on using it to represent the patriarch of my GSC Crusade once he reaches Legendary status. Thought about converting the throne into a palanquin with aberrant bearers.

Throned Patriarch

A named patriarch could fit that bill. I have the classic Throned Genestealer Patriarch metal model. I plan on using it to represent the patriarch of my GSC Crusade once he reaches Legendary status. Thought about converting the throne into a palanquin with aberrant bearers.

I quite like the palanquin idea. Even better though: convert the upcoming AoS Slaanesh lord into a carriage pulled by aberrants. It wouldn’t really fit the codex, but it’d look sick.

The throned patriarch could probably substitute for the portly cultist in the chariot, and subbing in aberrants for the clawed ogor dudes would be easy. If I ever did anything with that kit, I would magnetize it anyway. You could swap out the chaos set for the GSC set. Not sure my skills are there yet, but I'm trying to do more regular painting and modelling this year. If I keep at it, I might feel worthy of such a project in a year or two- I've got a pretty big pile of shame, so lots of practice lined up.

I'd also like a purestrain character that isn't the patriarch.

Tim Huckleberry's Citadel journal had a "Young Patriarch" option. I don't necessarily need it to be that- psykers aren't leveled like they used to be, so it foesn't work as well. But just a purestrain who is distinguished in some way from the others. Stealers having individual identities when outside of the Hive Mind range is kinda my own personal headcannon, so I doubt it will happen.

I use my Space Hulk stealers as squad leaders- no special rules or anything, I just to add visual some visual interest. In the Chronicle Campaign, they represent the first brood.

The 4 Armed Emperor Embodied or some such would be a very easy way to represent the a Triumph-like unit.

That said, I think the Triumph is a dopey design. There is no reason why it should be one model except for display purposes. It functions and degrades like a squad of relic bearing characters, except they are all awkwardly stuck on the same base for no good reason. 

Stealers having individual identities when outside of the Hive Mind range is kinda my own personal headcannon, so I doubt it will happen.

Well they do get the urge to flee when the Hive Mind draws near, or at least used to in the olden days. So technically some forms of personality or identity may be there. 

• 4 weeks later...

Take the Baby Carrier theme to it's logical conclusion and give us a cargo-hauler ALA Aliens. 

Hell yes, and it would sell well.

In terms of other mining related stuff, some kind of exploration team that can mess with opposing reserves, analytics with repurposed instruments that shoot radiation. Some kind of limo/4x4 Hi-lux equivalent would be cool to take pit crews to their shifts. Munitorum armoured containers as static, infiltrating transports would be hilarious. 

The container idea sounds great, indeed !

The same discussion popped on Facebook, I advocated a small squad of suicidal demolition charge neophytes in a djihadist style, who run to ennemy tanks to happily detonate in the name of their beloved Sire !

Exploding mechanics could be inspired from the Imperial Forgeworld demolition Cyclops vehicule, and I have in mind the image of the Uruk Hai berserker that runs to Helm castle and detonates to breach the wall ;) !