Fen's Swamp

Fenrykus

Welcome to my swamp! ("What are you doing in my swamp!?") This is to be my workshop of sorts. This first post will contain my log of unfinished units, as well as special character projects I would like to undertake eventually. I will update this list as needed, and will post progress pictures along the way.

Sanguine Gargoyles Space Marines

• '08 Games Day Space Marine Captain - (w/ thunderhammer; convert to Death Company model)
  • Chief Librarian Tigurius - (counts-as Mephiston conversion)
  • Comms Officer Orinoko - (added to Scout squad)
    • Tabletop quality
  • Death Company Dreadnaught - (needs to be stripped and repainted)
  • Death Company Squad - 10 models (5 w/ jump packs and ccw's, 5 w/ bolters; need to be stripped and repainted)
    • Tabletop quality
  • Death Company Stormraven Gunship
  • Jump Chaplain - (counts-as Astorath conversion; needs to be stripped and repainted, and rebased)
  • Kitbashed Space Marine Captain/Tactical Sergeant  - (needs to be stripped and repainted)
  • Lemartes/Chaplain Angelo - (needs to be rebased)
  • Sanguinary Guard - 5 models (need to be stripped and repainted)
  • Sanguinary Priests - 3 models (1 counts-as Corbulo conversion; 1 w/ jump pack)
    • Tabletop Quality (except counts-as Corbulo)
  • Scout Squad - 9 models (1 Sergeant, 1 w/ missile launcher, 3 w/ sniper rifles, 4 w/ bolters)
    • Tabletop quality
  • Sternguard Veteran Squad - 10 models
    • Tabletop quality
  • Tactical Squads - 9 models (1 w/ heavy bolter, 1 w/ missile launcher, 2 w/ plasma guns, 5 w/ bolters)
    • Tabletop quality
  • Terminator Chaplain
  • Vanguard Veteran Squad - 5 models
    • Tabletop quality

Chaos Space Marines of the Valourous Host 

w/ accompanying specialty units

• Chaos Marines - 16 models (1 w/ heavy bolter, 1 w/ flamer, 5 w/ bolters, 8 with ccw's, 1 w/ mark of Slaanesh)
    • Tabletop Quality
  • Noise Marines - 2 models
  • Warp Talons - 5 models
    • ​Tabletop quality
  • Sorcerer Lord
  • Terminator Lord

Miscellaneous Models

• Commander Dante - (statue/objective marker)
  • Emperor's Champion - (statue/objective marker)
  • Grey Knight Terminators - (statues/objective markers)
  • Interrogator-Chaplain Asmodai - (mini-diorama)
  • McFarlane Toys' Artist's Proof Space Marine Intercessor - (paint up as Sanguine Gargoyles' 2nd Flight Bladeguard)
  • Necrons: 1 Destroyer squadron, 1 Lord, 1 Scarab Swarm base (plus a few salvaged single scarabs), and 11 Warriors - (diorama w/ Saurus Eternity Warden)
  • Saurus Eternity Warden - (Diorama w/ Necrons)
  • Standard Bearer w/ robes - (statue/objective marker)
  • Miscellaneous self-made terrain pieces and objective markers - (i.e. razor wire barriers, ammo caches, tank traps/dragon's teeth, etc.)

Planned Character Projects

Chapter Master Lucian

Post-Rubicon Primaris version
  • Primaris Chaplain head, torso, legs, backpack
  • Hellblaster plasma pistol arm
  • Relic spear arm

Pre-Rubicon Firstborn version (counts as Dante)
  • Sanguinary Guard torso, legs, and death mask head (or possibly Gabriel Seth torso and legs, w/ death mask head)
  • Sanguinary Guard arm w/ Infernus Pistol
  • Sanguinary Guard axe arm, two-handed

Terminator version
  • Tartaros-pattern Terminator armor
  • Thunder Hammer
  • Storm Shield

Sanguinary High Priest Armand (counts as Corbulo)

• Apothecary torso
  • Narthecium/Reductor
  • Chainsword arm
  • Rad Grail (greenstuff/conversion)

Primus Philippe (counts as Astorath)

• Jump Chaplain head, torso, legs
  • Sanguinary Guard jump pack w/o wings
  • Sanguinary Guard Angelus boltgun arm, w/ pointing hand
  • Wings (and possibly scrolls) from Knight-Venator kit (Age of Sigmar)

Azkael the Gargoyle (counts as Mephiston)

• Severin Loth model
  • Sanguinary Guard arm w/ attached plasma pistol
  • Force sword conversion

Firstborn Commander Captain Lamonte

Power Armor version
  • Lord Executioner torso, legs
  • Yelling head (helmet maglocked to the hip, perhaps yelling death mask)
  • Mk.III jump pack
  • Hammer arm (right) from Lord Starstrike kit (Age of Sigmar)
  • Banner Bearer arm (right)
  • Storm Shield
  • Outstretched arm (left)
  • Yes. This is my Smash Captain. :biggrin.:

Terminator Armor version

Primaris Commander Captain Bellon

• Primaris Captain in Phobos power armor
  • Power sword arm

Venerable Derces

• Venerable Dreadnought chassis
  • Sanguinary Guard wings
  • Plasma cannon
  • Blood Fist, w/ flamer
Edited by Fenrykus

Thanks for the interest, guys! I'm way excited to get back into hobbying. I went through my models and reorganized my trays to better see what I had. After doing so, I took notes and updated my logs in the opening post to reflect exactly what I've got on my hands. I don't know how soon I'll be starting back up, as I will have to go through the paints that I found to see if there's anything salvageable (and I'll probably still have to purchase some new paints/washes/etc. as well). I took some photos of my hobby station and my models, but I've got to convert the photos to an acceptable size and file type first before I can post them here.

Edited by Fenrykus

Incoming initial-stage photos. The ones of the foam trays are before reorganizing them; the last time I had touched these guys, I had played a small game against a buddy, and I must not have arranged them back by unit type when we were finished. I was also using them to separate bitz for each model, but smaller bitz were getting jumbled around, so I threw almost everything that wasn't glued on (and some things that were that I removed) back into my bitz bins until I manage to start finishing models. Also, please forgive the umsightly amount of animal fur clinging to the trays; that was a huge reason I stopped painting. I had to redo or retouch a coat too many times due to a stray animal hair, and it left me frustrated, so I shelved everything. Most of it is cleaned off the models, and what remains is stuck to the blu-tac I used to pose the models.

Sanguine Gargoyles 1/2

gallery_68553_12580_198102.jpg

Sanguine Gargoyles 2/2

gallery_68553_12580_327770.jpg

Death Company Stormraven

gallery_68553_12580_169226.jpg

Death Company Dreadnaught, Necron Lord, and Destroyer squadron

gallery_68553_12580_96576.jpg

Necron Warriors, and Chaos Marines

gallery_68553_12580_502668.jpg

Warp Talons

gallery_68553_12580_6801.jpg

Saurus Eternity Warden

gallery_68553_12580_198685.jpg

Grey Knights Terminators (and a partial shot of the McFarlane Intercessor)

gallery_68553_12580_165692.jpg

Tomorrow I will take photos of squads and characters in order to break down my log into manageable (and vowable) pieces.

Edit: Also, here's some photos of my hobby station and the pots I need to go through.

Hobby Station and Bitz Bins

gallery_68553_16867_9121.jpg

gallery_68553_16867_5256.jpg

The Pots

gallery_68553_16867_161728.jpg

Edited by Fenrykus

Alright, here are my individual units for my Sanguine Gargoyles army (I'll get the unit shots of my other projects later). Some of the models had blu-tac holding their arms and/or backpacks on from when I played a game with them. I removed all of it that I could find last night, so most of the models will be armless, backpackless, and in some cases headless. I'm an incredibly slow painter, because I find it hard not to try and get a perfect paintjob for every mini. I need to learn to embrace the tabletop quality mindset in order to crank out the larger squads. I have my characters and my McFarlane Intercessor to practice perfection.

Tigurius

gallery_68553_12580_13826.jpg

And Dante, a random assault-y Marine, a Banner Bearer, the Emperor's Champion, and Asmodai. Tigurius will be my counts-as Mephiston (until I can get the Severin Loth model and the bits to convert him). The random Marine has since been moved to the Vanguard Veteran squad as the Sergeant, the robed Marine from that squad got bumped to the Tactical squad, and the push-fit Marine that was in the Tac squad is now back on the shelf as a test model. Phew. The rest of the models I won't be worry about for now.

Sternguard Veteran Squad

gallery_68553_12580_71809.jpg

This is actually the Blood Angels Tac Squad box, but I like the look as Sternguard. I need to strip these guys, as well as learn to convert some of those bolters into combi-weapons, as I try very hard to follow WYSIWYG for the least confusion/forgetting what a unit has. Need to get the 9th edition BA Codex, I suppose.

Sanguinary Guard

gallery_68553_12580_17318.jpg

Funny enough, the base color I was going to use for my Sanguinary Guard fits perfectly for my scheme for them now. Sadly, I don't remember what I did to get that, so these guys will all get stripped.

Death Company

- w/Bolters

gallery_68553_12580_84640.jpg

I can hear you now. "Whaaaat? DC with bolters? Why?" Well, because if my memory serves correctly, a Stormraven can only hold 6 models equipped with jump packs. So 5 DC + a Chaplain (and a DC Dread underneath), which means these guys just wade into the enemy, firing non-stop while looking bad-ass. Because why not?

- w/CCW's

gallery_68553_12580_193930.jpg

Back in 7th, the DC had Rafen's (Raphen's?) Death Company as a specific unit. This is my version of that unit, whether or not it still exists in 9th. As with the Sanguinary Guard, I do not remember the process to achieve this look (not that it fits my new scheme anyways). So these guys will be stripped (this does pain me a little, as I am still very proud of that paint job), and Captain Rafen will be given the thunderhammer from the Death Company sprue (so I can give him DC shoulderpads to fit in with his squad).

Chaplains

gallery_68553_12580_18051.jpg

Lemartes is going to be used as Lemartes, but painted my own scheme and named Brother Angelo. The Jump Chaplain will be my counts-as Astorath, I just need to replace the arms (it's the old metal version, so they're just pinned and glued on, easy to take apart) and strip him. And the Terminator Chaplain, well, I may turn him into a statue/objective marker (dedicated to Chaplain Derces, now interred in a Dreadnaught).

Tactical Squad

gallery_68553_12580_119744.jpg

In the upper left of the squad, you can see the push-fit Marine that got removed from the squad. Other than that, these guys need to be stripped.

Kitbashed Captain/Tactical Sergeant

gallery_68553_12580_141718.jpg

When running a Chaplain as HQ, I run this guy as my Tac squad Sergeant. Otherwise I run him as a Captain for my HQ. He needs to be stripped, and I may re-pose him and/or change up his loadout.

Sanguinary Priests and Corbulo counts-as

gallery_68553_12580_203267.jpg

I need to remove the Power Sword from the middle Priest. On the right is the model I will be using for my counts-as Corbulo.

Vanguard Veteran Squad

gallery_68553_12580_193470.jpg

The Marine in the middle was replaced by the random assault-y Marine from the first photo. He was sent to the Tac squad to replace the pushfit Marine there.

Scout Squad

gallery_68553_12580_218617.jpg

I made this a 10-man squad because there have been times where a 5-man squad gets whittled down too quickly. This way there's a little room for attrition. Comms Officer Orinoko will be used as a basic, if cool-looking, bolter Scout. Once I get another 5 actual Scouts, the robed Marines will be merged into another squad, probably the Vanguard Veterans. I need to remove the Dark Angels iconography on several of the robed models.

I have vowed in the 12 Months of Hobby challenge, with January's pledge being the start to Sternguard Veteran Squad Namora: Sterguard Captain Namora and Company Ancient Vindaheim. Additionally, for my Plodding Along vow, I have pledged to complete Sternguard Veteran Squad Namora.

gallery_68553_16868_219159.jpg

Edited by Fenrykus

It's a good colour scheme @fenrykus, though it could perhaps do with a bit of contrast imo - what would you think of a red (or company colour) helmet stripe, to draw attention to the head? Perhaps make the weapon's bronze casing a bit less dark for the same reason?

There's meant to be little contrast, but I understand where you're coming from. Part of the problem is that specific model. His details have been so hidden (even before I rescued him from a bitz box at a FLGS), it's not worth it to do much with him other than to test different techniques or color schemes. As I said, it's a (very) rough mock up. On a model with proper detail I'll add highlights, be a little lighter with the wash, and gun casings will probably get painted either red or orange, I haven't decided yet.

Edit: Here's the painter version; the chest decorations will also be painted differently, so that will help break up the darkness as well.

gallery_68553_16242_4756.jpg

Edited by Fenrykus