How to start this game?

Ulfast

Hello fellow Titans

I have since the start been intersted in starting this game but as my gaming group was not, it has not been started. But I´m now thinking that I want to start anyway and hopeful someone of the group want to join in. I´m optimistic when they see the minatures.

But, how to start. What do I need to get, which rules ( I see so many diffrent books right now), what is a good basic force and titans/knights to get, terrain etc?

Please help me so I know where to start in the best way.

The best way to start is probably 'Adeptus Titanicus: The Horus Heresy' boxset. There's also the Grand Master Edition if you don't mind breaking the bank a bit, but I think the former has a more up to date rulebook (don't quote me on that one).

The mass of rulebooks you see are supplementary rules for things like additional Titan Legios, maniples, weaponry, campaign rules, etc. You'll want to pick one or two up in the future I imagine, but when you're just starting out they're not necessary. 

My advice is to do some research online to see which Legio you'd be interested in playing, be that for the fluff, the paint scheme or mechanics. There are going to be supplements coming out sometime in the future which likely compile the various Legios released thus far (one book for Loyalists one for Traitor) which might save you having to buy a other, specific splatbook just for that.

The AT Boxed set is 100% the best starter for anyone, its got a much better selection of units (For either one person or 2 to split) and an up to date rulebook. The grand master isnt a terrible expansion on that but it is a terrible starter and youll really want more warlord weapons for the included titans. 

Terrain wise the dropzone commander stuff is extremely cheap and effective, especially their card city sets which are a bargain and give you enough buildings for two tables of AT. The GW stuff is gorgeous but too small for AT unless you seriously invest. Some 40k scenery is also usable, most the industrial stuff or hills and rocks. 

Maniple and Legio wise, its usually best to hold off a little on those, play the game a little and see what you like, but there are pretty extensive reviews of them all over the internet, primarily on Goonhammer which has a lot of in depth articles on stuff, or d4chan (ick) has some good briefer summaries. 

Welcome aboard though, AT is the best game GW makes right now :) 

I would strongly consider the set with two reavers and two warhounds. It is an incredible bargain (especially sense it’s really not at all hard to find it for 125$ (Usd), and it comes with enough that you could play with a friend. If (like when I started) your group hasn’t bought in, this is a good way to get the itch started.

Buy into it. Ask people to play with you. Get annoyed when people don't want to play because they have to buy the models. Buy the models for them, then be able to play.

Oh wait, you said "how to start" not "how did you start?" :laugh.:

Yeah, I'm also going to recommend the regular Starter box. If you can find a copy of the Grandmaster Edition, while not as good for starting, that and the Starter Box is basically perfect for the basic maniples

The splatbooks are only necessary for the Campaigns, Legio Rules and maniples. If you ONLY want the rules for your Legio of choice, you can wait until the Loyalist/Traitor Legio books come out.

Maniple and Legio wise, its usually best to hold off a little on those, play the game a little and see what you like, but there are pretty extensive reviews of them all over the internet, primarily on Goonhammer which has a lot of in depth articles on stuff, or d4chan (ick) has some good briefer summaries.

Also seconding Goonhammer for ideas. They go very in-depth. 1d4chan is also good, if a bit... Cruder? Some of their tactica articles are written very much like Goonhammer, but with a fouler mouth :laugh.:

Edited by Gederas

Thank you very much. It´s good to hear that the Starter set is good and gives most of the things that I need to start. Similiar to you I think that when my friends see the models they will have a hard time not to buy something. I will also check out Goonhammer and see what they say about the game. 

I would echo what everyone else has said about the starter set. One option to consider if you are in lockdown and have interested friends is playing using Tabletop Simulator on Steam. You'll need the rulebook (no problem if you are buying the starter set) and can then just find a friend with the PC game (which is pretty cheap anyway) to try it out. I did that with a friend last year during lockdown and he went out and bought the starter set as a consequence.

TTS can be a bit fiddly, and he is itching to try out a real game for the more tactile element, so I have been slowly assembling terrain to ensure we have a good looking table. Just need to paint those titans now... We starter out using the base rules as suggested in the book and are now adding in the complexity, starting with missions and the reactor rules, then we will add legios and stratagems before finally we add knights.

I would also definitely recommend the starter set, it is a must have. One or even two boxes, depending on available budget of course.

The Grand Master Edition could be interesting if you can find it discounted, even more if heavily discounted, but you would have to buy additional weapons for the Warlords as there is no variety in their armaments. So make some calculations before pulling the trigger. There is a bit of terrain in there and the rule book is the first version, now outdated and replaced by the one in the starter box (the GME came first).

For terrain, I recommend a mix of civitas imperialis and some cheaper materials. You can achieve some great results with a bit of imagination. Have a look at the various plogs here for inspiration.

Again, I have to emphasize how good the new starter box is. Its 1250pts, so its enough to start playing proper scale games, and having two reavers and two warhounds mean you have a strong base to fit to a LOT of maniples. People often take value to mean money saved, but realistically you get no value for purchases you dont actually want. The starter set is pure value, you will want everything in it.

Once you have the starter set you have a ton of options on where to go from there. You'll probably want to think about what maniples you want to run, and get whatever titan fills that maniple, whether its a warlord, warbringer, or more of what you already have. You can also then look at taking some more knights.

Like everyone else, I'd recommend the starter. It's not as if you have a lot of choice to be honest - you need the rules and they're in it. So are a bunch of useful engines that will form the core of your force.

Add a Warlord if you want, or one of each type. You can make a case for getting the GME if you want, but only in addition the the starter, not instead. If you find one at a reasonable discount, and if you want the knights and terrain, it's kind of an ok deal. Sucks that the Warlords have the same weapons though.

• 2 weeks later...

I hold my thumbs, it would be very fun to start. Right now i´m reading and watching youtube to scratch the itch :smile.:

There's some good YouTube content out there.

There were some good "How to Play" videos from

and

GMG has quite a few battle reports as well

Im in the same boat as you, just got the starter set after waiting for it to come back in stock for a while. It looks a great set and looking forward to cracking on with it.

First question I’ve got is how some of the posters have modelled the feet so when they are off the ground the toes point slightly downwards. Is it a case of cutting the toes off and gluing them back at a slightly different angle?

Toe repositioning generally involves a reasonable amount of force and ignorance, when it comes to Titans. I’d suggest scoring the underside of the joint with a knife to remove as much material as you’re comfortable with, then bend the toe downwards. Once it’s where you want it, glue it in place. It’s not the end of the world if the plastic snaps while you’re bending it, but you want to avoid that if you can.

Dallo

No problem. Hope it helps you to reposition some Titan treads.

You can also use plastic clippers to remove material so you can bend the toe (instead of a scalpel), but it runs the risk of ruining the piece if you’re not careful, so I wouldn’t recommend this approach unless you’re pretty happy using a pair of clippers for converting.

It does have the advantage of removing material quicker than a scalpel and is less likely to draw blood, so there are pros for using clippers.

Dallo

On toe repositioning, I find you can bend Reavers ok (and glue them back on if they break). Warhounds need cutting and then some work with GS to fill gaps and extend pistons. Warlords are best tackled with a coping saw to go around the joint.

The most important thing with Reavers remains getting the feet on the correct sides! And not just the feet - those legs are a minefield and loads of us have messed them up.

• 2 weeks later...

Question about the rule books in between the Grand Master Edition and starter set. Are they vastly different? Asking as I’m looking at the amount of stuff in the GME, and it’s a pretty hefty saving compared to buying it piecemeal, but wondered if the rule book in it would be good enough to get a mate learning the correct rules.

Edited by Wordy