Foot Guard - 9th edition elite infantry

GuardDaddy

Been playing around with lists since Jan FAQ

How about this - remaining true to my (stubbornly naïve) desire to do foot guard competitively. 

Aim:

create numerous problems for opponent

Keep horde board control.

Full board threat

Three parts:

A. 2 blocks of Bullgryns (8 + 8) with support chars (priest and astropath) -

Priest + 7 Bullgryn + Bonehead + charge =46 3+ S7 attacks

B. Infantry horde - 120 bodies (90 conscripts + 30 infantry)

3 blobs of conscripts to clog up channels - 3 units of infantry for actions

C. Scion plasma drop squads (from reserve)

(40 overcharged plasma shots <12" - all re-roll 1s to hit, re-roll 1s to wound)

--------------------------------------

List

Patrol Detachment - 133rd Lamdan Lions - (-2cp)

-1 CP Progeny of conflict - Extra warlord trait

HQ

1x Tempestor Prime - command rod (warlord trait 'Keys to the Armoury' - 6" re-roll 1s to hit aura)

1x Tempersor Prime - command rod + relic (Auto-Reliquary of Tiberious - +1 order on 2+)

Elite

2x Tempestus Command squad - 4 plasma gun

Troops

3x Tempestus Scions - 4 plasma gun - 5 hotshot lasgun

Battalion Detachment - Wilderness Survivors + Disciplined Shooters

HQ

1x Company Commander - warlord - grand strategist (5+ own CP regen)

1x Company Commander

Elite

2x Bullgryn (8) - maul + slabshield

1x Astropath

1x priest

Troops

3x infantry squads - plasmagun

3x concripts (150)

Looks like a solid core. You're using Conscripts in the only use case I'd consider them and that is if you're determined to bring more bodies than you would otherwise have troops slots for.

There's probably a few things I would still tweak. For starters, conscripts were limited to max 30 per unit in the Guard FAQ. So if you want to go with more bodies, I'd probably just drop the infantry squads and replace them with more. At that point I'd probably invest in some morale boosters. Commissars are an option, but with your list you could also consider bringing one or two Inquisitors.

Additionally, I would put the relic on your Keys to the Armoury TP. You'll want him to come down with at least 3 units to get the most out of the aura, so ideally you want to be able give all of them an order. The second TP can come with the second drop, which would presumably be the Command Squads. Alternatively you can give your aura-TP a third order for a turn with the inspired tactics strat and drop the second TP with the Laurels of Command to potentially get a second set of double orders. (Which is what the aura effectively does for your infantry)

yeah - i'm happy with the bullgryn bit and the scions bit - just wondering if its enough bodies so as you deduced thats why went for conscripts.

I plan to bring all the scions down in one blob, so relic can go on either - that gives me 5 orders for the 5 units. The strat for Lambden lions is pretty good too - all hot-shot varients turn wound rolls of 6 into mortal wounds. 1 CP

As always problem is that after obliterating their target they fall over in a stiff breeze to a counter punch!

What the combo I'd want on inquisitor for leadership/morale buff?

Edited by GuardDaddy

yeah - i'm happy with the bullgryn bit and the scions bit - just wondering if its enough bodies so as you deduced thats why went for conscripts.

I plan to bring all the scions down in one blob, so relic can go on either - that gives me 5 orders for the 5 units. The strat for Lambden lions is pretty good too - all hot-shot varients turn wound rolls of 6 into mortal wounds. 1 CP.

As always problem is that after obliterating their target they fall over in a stiff breeze to a counter punch!

What the combo I'd want on inquisitor for leadership/morale buff?

5 plasma squads in one spot are probably serious overkill. XD

You might also struggle to get all Plasma-models into the bubble with that many guys. It's reroll per model, not per unit unfotunately.

Inquisitors always have a 6" Ld-bubble for all imperium units. Same idea as a Commissar, but with a bit more utility and some nice psychic support.

Ordo Malleus gets access to a spell to give any imperium infantry a 5+++ for example. Can be put on Bullgryns for example, giving a slabshield unit a 1+ armour, 4++ invun once you stack it with psychic barrier.

If I drop a scion command squad, scion unit and a prime - I can fit in both an inquisitor and Yarrick buffing mid board. I can still have 3 squads of scions getting order buffs from the one Prime (12/24 plasma re-rolling 1s to hit and wound).

Wondering about enough bodies still....

Anyway just about set up on tabletop simulator so next goal is to get experience on that and begin battle testing ideas. I have never used more than 5 bullgryn (and that involved proxies!) so its all very much theory.