Elite core with Foetid Virions

Possessed Marine

Hey everyone, looking at the new options in the codex has me scheming. I rather like the Foetid Virions in that I can bump up the amount of elites in a patrol detachment. This is very important to me, because my friends and I typically play 1,000 pt games. So, with that in mind, here's what I've come up with.

Mortarion's Chosen Sons Patrol detachment

HQ

Malignant Plague caster- Putrid Periapt, Nurgle's Fruit

Troops

1x Plague Marines 5 man squad, power fist on champ.

Elites (here's the largest part of my army)

1x Deathshroud Terminators

1x Foul Blightspawn -1CP for Vomitryx relic

1x Noxious Blightbringer

1x Biologus Putrifier

Fast Attack

2x bloat drones 1 fleshmower, 1 spitters

Heavy Support

1x Plagueburst 

Total points 1,000  5CP

Really liking the drone with spitters being able to advance up the tiny board, and be able to shoot turn 1, and possibly being in contagion range for -1T to just melt everything. PBC sitting in backfield with the long range and using disgusting force to hit bunched up enemy formations in the tiny deployment zones is pretty hilarious. PM's with the added toughness and wounds with -1 damage are able to babysit an objective that might be a bit out of the way. Turn 2, someone's getting a lawnmower in the face. Probably walk up the Deathshroud with the other elites along with the caster. Best case scenario, my opponent focuses on the drones in their face. Worst case, they shoot the crap out of the Deathshroud, because the characters are untargetable, except for sniper shenanigans.

Nurgle's Fruit is nice in theory, but will it help you on a Malignant Plaguecaster that I assume is going with the Death Shroud ? Because realistically, you will probably lose a couple of those unless all your opponent does is focus on the drones, so not so sure the plaguespurt will be used much at all.

I think you may be too character heavy.

Your MSU Plague Marine squad is going on an objective in your own DZ I assume. That leaves only the drones and the terminators with friends to occupy objectives along with the PBC. And the drones are not well used if they are static, they are only good on offense and counter offense.

Bilogus is very good, but do you have enough models in that attack group to actually get to use his Mortal wounds ability ? Not sure, since I suspect Death shroud will eat some fire before they can charge. If you are going to walk the character group with the Death Shroud, maybe the Noxious Blightbringer is necessary, although he is the worst of the lot in the Foetid Virion. Helps keep them move that additional inch though.

Question is, are the drones resilient enough to tie up your opponents entire army ? I guess this is for friendly play and not a competitive all-round list and you know your opponent the best.

I am just worried that you will lose out on the objective scoring. But I have no idea what kind of list you expect to face. But it seems light on units that are good at scoring victory points.

If you would rather your opponent shoot at the drones vs the Deathshroud, I would deepstrike them in. You can walk your peeps up behind the drones as they do protect them as well.

If you want to start the DS on the board, I would lean towards a surgeon who adds a FNP and can heal should one take damage.

I like the Putrifier and all, but the DS (depending on your unit size) should take care of most things without him.

I dont know if you are just trying to use what you already have but here is my advice.

Im sure you already know, but 1,000 point game is very different from 2k, where resiliance means so much more, as generally there is not the firepower to put down a unit.

But anyway, if you want deathshroud terminators then yea, MCS are the best for them. However I would drop the plague caster and take someone in terminator armour (probably a sorcerer), and give them arch contaminator. Re-roll to wound is far superior to ignores cover, especially with S3 weapons.

You have wayyy to many characters for 1000 points. They are just not the force multiplier that they are at 2k.

Drop the biologus and blightbringer. If you really want the nurgles fruit spend a CP and give it to your blightspawn.

With the points saved get 20 poxwalkers, stick them on an objective and your opponent will be hard pressed to kill them.

IMO 1 PBC is not worth it, they are just too unreliable. Personally i would drop it and buff your PM to a 9 or 10 man unit, and get a rhino. Probably drop the powerfist too.

With the drones, really, the mowers are they way to go. The spitters are wayy to swingy, and way to match-up dependent, and the HBL is rather crap. 

Here is what i would do

Put the deathshroud and your choice of character in deepstrike.

Put the PM and blightspawn in the rhino. If you have a 10 man squad, just have the blightspawn run along with it.

Have the drones equiped for mele, and advance everything up the board. The poxwalkers should sit on an objective and stay there.

Your opponent will have 1 turn to shoot at you. If he shoots the rhino, pop smoke and he probably wont have enough fire power to kill it, and if he does, he shouldnt have enough to kill the drones. Turn 2, your terminators deepstrike in, use the strat for D2 flamers, and charge everything else. If the rhino is alive, go send it onto an objective

Thanks for the insights everyone. You guys came up with some excellent points, such as not enough squads for objective holding, using Arch-Contaminator instead of MCS WL trait, and using a HQ choice in terminator armor so I can DS my shrouds and have them geared up. So, here's my revisions.

Mortarion's Chosen Sons Patrol

HQ

Lord of Virulence- Arch-Contaminator, Fugaris's Helm, Virulent Fever on plague spewer

Troops

2x Plague Marine squads, 5 man,  each with Sigil of Decay

Elites

1x Possessed Marine squad, 5 man

1x Deathshroud Terminators

Fast Attack

2x Foetid Bloat Drones with mowers

Transport

1x Rhino

Total Points 990 6CP

Yea looks good, I agree with above.

Personally I would make it 1 big unit, and drop the sigil and go triple plasma + double blight launchers (you just need to find 20 points somewhere)

I personally would not take possessed as you just don’t have the CP to cloud of fly them, maybe make the Deathshroud 5 man unit instead?

Cloud of flies isn't that expensive, only 2cp, unless you're putting it on a terminator unit. I did a few different things, like making a big unit of PMs, and I dropped the possessed in favor of loading out the squad, but at this point I have limits on what loadout I can do, because of what models I have, and I play WYSIWYG. I also put in a big unit of poxwalkers to babysit deployment/ zone objective. Problem with 1k, is that I want all the things. lol

HQ

Lord of Virulence- Arch-Contaminator, Fugaris's Helm, Virulent Fever on plague spewer

Troops

10 man Plague Marine squad- 2 blight launcher, 2 plasma, 4 Boltgun, 1 boltgun and Sigil of Decay, Champ with boltgun and knife

20 man Poxwalkers

Elites

1x Deathshroud

Fast Attack

Transport

1x Rhino

Total Points 1000 6CP

Edited by Possessed Marine

Cloud of flies isn't that expensive, only 2cp, unless you're putting it on a terminator unit. I did a few different things, like making a big unit of PMs, and I dropped the possessed in favor of loading out the squad, but at this point I have limits on what loadout I can do, because of what models I have, and I play WYSIWYG. I also put in a big unit of poxwalkers to babysit deployment/ zone objective. Problem with 1k, is that I want all the things. lol

HQ

Troops

10 man Plague Marine squad- 2 blight launcher, 2 plasma, 4 Boltgun, 1 boltgun and Sigil of Decay, Champ with boltgun and knife

20 man Poxwalkers

Elites

1x Deathshroud

Fast Attack

Transport

1x Rhino

Total Points 1000 6CP

Yea, that’s probably the list that I would run. It’s not OP but it’s not weak either. My only change would be drop the sigil for an extra plasma gun on the champ.

It’s a very solid core of an army. It gives you some options. If you want to play around with it then I would either change the poxwalkers, and/or rhino. But for what I am not sure