How are you finding new DG "on the table"?

Zombs

It's good. I'm a big fan of the codex. There's definitely some adjustment required - you can't just throw your old lists on the table, they won't work - but I've found it an easy transition as I hadn't been playing DG for a couple of years anyway. Others may struggle a bit more.

• Poxwalkers are really good, and I think some are underselling how valuable they are to us. I'm putting c. 40 in every list I make.
  • Only played two games so far but I'm leaning towards Terminators over Plague Marines. Terminators are just so good. Time may change that opinion
  • Fleshmowers and PBCs appear must-takes.

Haven't played with Morty yet.

My book is still brewing in the GW plague vats apparently, so I have yet to really dive into it lol. Will be looking forward to reading how others are getting on.

Thankfully, for those worried about early adjustments, whatever heat may have been on us will be eclipsed by the giant dark green asteroid space ship coming to obliterate all the gaming tables

Thankfully, for those worried about early adjustments, whatever heat may have been on us will be eclipsed by the giant dark green asteroid space ship coming to obliterate all the gaming tables . I’d hate to have to FAQ sticky tab my book before I even get to use it.

Hah, I was just thinking that! RIP the "nerf Morty" crowd, Jan 16 2021 - Jan 30 2021. It was a good run

I’m enjoying them, I’ve got in about a dozen games so far. I think the best part for me is that DG have so many options now. I’ve pulled out my LoC which I think I may have played him once since 8th came out. I had sold off my PBCs, ordered new ones cuz they are worth fielding. Possessed are good, Poxwalkers are good, terminators are even better. The 5” move terminators have now makes a noticeable difference, starting them on the board is feasible. Spewers are usable now thanks to their 12” range. Morty is fun to play, although it took a few games to understand how to use him. The elite characters all have a place now, except maybe the Blightbringer. He does give a movement buff, but he’s not something I build around, I do miss his 5++ bubble. Defilers are better, hitting on 3+ and not having the -1 to shoot in combat makes a difference. Wish they had gotten DR, but with the right support they have a 4++ and can be healed easily. Fleshmowers can do some damage. Haulers are another thing I sold off, but the plan is to pick up 3 more. Spawn are better now if you use the strat, so plan on spending that CP if you bring them.

I still think secondaries are tough or at least picking 3 good ones is challenging. Cultists are not anything I will be taking. I wished predators had DR, I don’t see ever taking them over PBCs. I would like them to clarify that summoned units don’t break contagions. Helbrutes going to a 6” move sucks, well for my dual fisted one. Land Raiders, no DR either, meh.

Hope that answered you question.

My book is still brewing in the GW plague vats apparently, so I have yet to really dive into it lol. Will be looking forward to reading how others are getting on.

Thankfully, for those worried about early adjustments, whatever heat may have been on us will be eclipsed by the giant dark green asteroid space ship coming to obliterate all the gaming tables . I’d hate to have to FAQ sticky tab my book before I even get to use it.

Lol, man. You sure have a point ! :biggrin.: "But what about White Scaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarsss!!!!!"

I’m enjoying them, I’ve got in about a dozen games so far. I think the best part for me is that DG have so many options now. I’ve pulled out my LoC which I think I may have played him once since 8th came out. I had sold off my PBCs, ordered new ones cuz they are worth fielding. Possessed are good, Poxwalkers are good, terminators are even better. The 5” move terminators have now makes a noticeable difference, starting them on the board is feasible. Spewers are usable now thanks to their 12” range. Morty is fun to play, although it took a few games to understand how to use him. The elite characters all have a place now, except maybe the Blightbringer. He does give a movement buff, but he’s not something I build around, I do miss his 5++ bubble. Defilers are better, hitting on 3+ and not having the -1 to shoot in combat makes a difference. Wish they had gotten DR, but with the right support they have a 4++ and can be healed easily. Fleshmowers can do some damage. Haulers are another thing I sold off, but the plan is to pick up 3 more. Spawn are better now if you use the strat, so plan on spending that CP if you bring them.

I still think secondaries are tough or at least picking 3 good ones is challenging. Cultists are not anything I will be taking. I wished predators had DR, I don’t see ever taking them over PBCs. I would like them to clarify that summoned units don’t break contagions. Helbrutes going to a 6” move sucks, well for my dual fisted one. Land Raiders, no DR either, meh.

Hope that answered you question.

Only been able to play a 1K game so far, which I won, but I think I am frankly better than my opponent so doesn't mean much. He has only played like 10 games in total, so I can't read anything into that. I am not a "good" player myself, but I have far more experience than that and understand my units better than he understand his, so it will be a while before he can beat me if I take a normal list.

Got a question for you though, since you have been able to play so many games. The Noxious Blightbringer, the weakest of the Foetid Virion, have you tested him with terminators and if so, do you reckon if made a big difference bumping them up to 6 inches. Because in theory, it should make a big difference going from 4-6. Or maybe 5 is enough ? I got to admit that I find that slight MV boost a bit tempting. But you are probably the guy here in this sub forum with the most actual real life "On the board"  experience, so would like to hear your thoughts.

Can't speak for Ninja, but I find it hard to envisage +1M being worth it over the other buffs at our disposal, e.g. 6+++, +1 to hit, MWs on 6s, etc. How many games, realistically, are won or lost by Terminators moving 6" over 5"? If it affected their chance of making a charge as well or added +1 to move & +1 to advance rolls it might be worth it, but as is I'm doubtful you'll ever see it make a significant dfiference. In smaller games it's not worth the cost and in bigger games the other buffs are going to matter more

Edited by Marshal Loss

Yea blighthualer is crap. If he did something else like roll an extra D6 when advancing/charging a drop the lowest he would be decent, but in no way is 65pts worth +1M

Also was just looking at our legion traits

Does not counting as moving literally affect just 2 weapons in our codex? The bolt gun on PM and reaper on BL?

And somebody said that the not suffering penalties to shoot into combat does not affect PBCs etc. Is that correct?

Yea blighthualer is crap. If he did something else like roll an extra D6 when advancing/charging a drop the lowest he would be decent, but in no way is 65pts worth +1M

Also was just looking at our legion traits

Does not counting as moving literally affect just 2 weapons in our codex? The bolt gun on PM and reaper on BL?

And somebody said that the not suffering penalties to shoot into combat does not affect PBCs etc. Is that correct?

That's correct. The Plague Burst Crawler does not have the Bubonic Astartes keyword which is what gives Inexorable Advance. Daemon Engines do not have that keyword. Kind of hilarious but Rhinos do.

The Poxmonger strat mitigates this with a stratagem but forces you to take a Poxmonger detachment of course.

So inexorable vehicles are: Land Raider, Rhino, Helbrute and Predator.

Anyone wanting to nerf Morty needs to go look at what Dark Angels are getting.  Wait until you face an army with terminators and all infantry with baked in Transhuman with bikers with obj secured with psyker powers out of this world. Suddenly a table full of Mortarion's means nothing at this point.

What the Blightbringer can bring is the Daemon's Toll, though, which I think is of enormous strategic advantage.  I charged my buddy's fat necron warrior unit the other night and he didn't remember I had it so couldn't just fall back and light me up with Gauss Reapers. He did not like getting tarpitted by a 60 pt. model.

I've played 2 games with DG in total. Won 1, lost 1.  I have nothing to compare to from 8th edition however as I just started collecting them.

With no prior edition prejudices, I brought a Lord of Contagion with Manreaper, Dessication Orb, Warp Insect Hive (relic), Rotten Constitution (warlord trait) and Virulent Fever (pathogen).  Each time I got into combat I used befouled incubators. He was doing about 6 mortal wounds per combat phase in addition to the rest of his attacks.  Which things did he murder, you ask?  All of them. All the things.

What the Blightbringer can bring is the Daemon's Toll, though, which I think is of enormous strategic advantage.  I charged my buddy's fat necron warrior unit the other night and he didn't remember I had it so couldn't just fall back and light me up with Gauss Reapers. He did not like getting tarpitted by a 60 pt. model.

I've played 2 games with DG in total. Won 1, lost 1.  I have nothing to compare to from 8th edition however as I just started collecting them.

With no prior edition prejudices, I brought a Lord of Contagion with Manreaper, Dessication Orb, Warp Insect Hive (relic), Rotten Constitution (warlord trait) and Virulent Fever (pathogen).  Each time I got into combat I used befouled incubators. He was doing about 6 mortal wounds per combat phase in addition to the rest of his attacks.  Which things did he murder, you ask?  All of them. All the things.

Watched one of Nick Nanavati's games and he loves the Blightbringer, especially because he runs heavy Terminators and likes running a Contemptor (which benefits). Since Deathshroud especially will be advancing a lot, they effectively get +2 Movement because it's one to Movement and Advance if I remember correctly. Once he's gotten everybody where they need to go, Nick's Blightbringer runs off and does actions.

I’m not sure how the bonus works, it’s +1 to move or advance, I would hope it’s both. His relic is once per battle and then on 2+ If their within 6”, I guess that’s ok.

I have been contemplating him just for my possessed, an 8” move is nice and they are worth it.

I’m not sure how the bonus works, it’s +1 to move or advance, I would hope it’s both.

Watc they effectively get +2 Movement because it's one to Movement and Advance if I remember correctly. Once he's gotten everybody where they need to go, Nick's Blightbringer runs off and does action

It is definitely not +1 to move and advance. You choose to move or advance or remain stationary:

...each time that unit is selected to make a Normal Move or Advance, until the end of the phase, add 1" to the Move characteristic of models in that unit.

When you make an advance, you add D6 to your M characteristic. The Blightbringer only adds +1 to M, so you either move M+1 or M+1 & D6 [advance].

Edited by Marshal Loss

What the Blightbringer can bring is the Daemon's Toll, though, which I think is of enormous strategic advantage. I charged my buddy's fat necron warrior unit the other night and he didn't remember I had it so couldn't just fall back and light me up with Gauss Reapers. He did not like getting tarpitted by a 60 pt. model.

I've played 2 games with DG in total. Won 1, lost 1. I have nothing to compare to from 8th edition however as I just started collecting them.

With no prior edition prejudices, I brought a Lord of Contagion with Manreaper, Dessication Orb, Warp Insect Hive (relic), Rotten Constitution (warlord trait) and Virulent Fever (pathogen). Each time I got into combat I used befouled incubators. He was doing about 6 mortal wounds per combat phase in addition to the rest of his attacks. Which things did he murder, you ask? All of them. All the things.

Watched one of Nick Nanavati's games and he loves the Blightbringer, especially because he runs heavy Terminators and likes running a Contemptor (which benefits). Since Deathshroud especially will be advancing a lot, they effectively get +2 Movement because it's one to Movement and Advance if I remember correctly. Once he's gotten everybody where they need to go, Nick's Blightbringer runs off and does actions.
Is there a link as that sounds interesting and would be great to watch since can't really get any games in atm

What the Blightbringer can bring is the Daemon's Toll, though, which I think is of enormous strategic advantage. I charged my buddy's fat necron warrior unit the other night and he didn't remember I had it so couldn't just fall back and light me up with Gauss Reapers. He did not like getting tarpitted by a 60 pt. model.

I've played 2 games with DG in total. Won 1, lost 1. I have nothing to compare to from 8th edition however as I just started collecting them.

With no prior edition prejudices, I brought a Lord of Contagion with Manreaper, Dessication Orb, Warp Insect Hive (relic), Rotten Constitution (warlord trait) and Virulent Fever (pathogen). Each time I got into combat I used befouled incubators. He was doing about 6 mortal wounds per combat phase in addition to the rest of his attacks. Which things did he murder, you ask? All of them. All the things.

Is there a link as that sounds interesting and would be great to watch since can't really get any games in atm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtlNErjbGBp4bRquQgxIZ0g

Note that you shouldn't watch their "hot takes". It's bad.

Edited by Iron Sage

They have not, or had not a that time, digested the rules yet. Like Loss said, it's a mistake and it's not the only thing they got wrong.

Edited my post, but just to clarify, a Blightbringer never gives +2. Only ever +1 whether it's a move or an advance.

OK, That was a comprehension issue on my part then, based on an assumption from when Nick said "+1 Move and Advance" at the beginning. He never specifically said 2 inches, so that was my mistake. Thanks.

Had my 2nd game with the new codex yesterday. Against TS again, a "revenge" match for me obliterating my opponent a week before. This time it didn't go to plan and I ended up conceding.

TS was playing cult of duplicity with Magnus, 1x20 blob of rubrics, 1x10 scarab, 2 sorcerers, held rake and 2 vindicator laser destroyers (probably because in our first game, my pbc ruined laser vindi in 1 round of shooting, so he probably wanted to make sure at least one ends up working as intended :P)

I was running a testing list of Morty, Plaguecaster, Tallman, 3 DS, 1 PBC, 3 units of 2 MBHs (I bought them, I'll be damned if I don't play with 6 at least once!) and 1 lawnmower.

I went 2nd, Morty managed to survive 2 vindicators and 20 rubrics shooting twice with 10W.

My first turn went well, Morty obliterated whole 20 man blob of rubrics (wind from leper took 13 in psychic phase, scythe did the rest in cc).

PBC got 1 vindicator to 5w and 2 squads of MBHs popped the other one. So far, so good. I spread out to allow only 2 spots for scarab to ds in, in his deployment zone or on the far side of the map where they could shoot only Drone, tallyman and Morty.

And then I messed up turn 2, not only I completely forgot that one strat for MBHs in his turn, so lost 1 unit of MBHs to scarab and magnus. Then in my turn 2 I completely messed up... instead of finishing off 2nd vindicator and taking a couple scarab with MBHs I had a brainfart and instead decided to shoot everything into Magnus' 3++ like an absolute moron... went about as well as you'd expect. From then, the game was finished.

Turn 3 I lost Morty, another 2 MBHs, PBC and conceded in turn 4 since there was no point.

Other than that, if I look at my first game and round 1 of 2nd game, the codex is fine, but that DR change really didn't help at all in my games against TS (obviously...). The vehicles feel a lot more vulnerable which sucks. Not going to play 6 MBHs soon again I think, they were not bad, but for those points... ugh

Going to get a 2nd PBC and more deathshroud though, that's for sure.

Edited by Balerion84

I managed to get in a couple of games

No Morty, but always using 10 Blight Lords (I have the old FW conversion pieces and i just love the models).

I am finding them ok, but nothing amazing or overly strong.

The legion trait of Innoxerable Advance is just amazingly :cuss, especially since i found it doesnt work on daemon engines. Infact i honestly dont think it has ever come up once in my games.

The contagion rule is decent when it gets to work, but i have found that it doesnt really kick in until turn 3 or 4, at which point the game has mostly been decided...unless you are playing against a combat army in which case its pretty amazing.

Actually thinking about it, DG kind of seem to be the anti-combat army. Against massed firepower it is pretty horrible. I think my worst game was vs eldar where they basically went doom, jinks, guide, delete.

You really do have to play the combat attrition game with DG. Your PBC, drones, daemon princes, everything, should be used as sacrifice if needed, just throw them up there and hope they soak up firepower while the rest of your army sits on objectives, and hope that when the smoke clears your opponent doesnt have enough firepower to shift you off the objectives.

Yeah, the fact that IA doesn't work on daemon engines (the only vehicle type I want to play in my dg) is something that annoys me so much... and in my 2 games, it similarly, pretty much didn't come up. I could get a few more shots with my boltguns, yay! Didn't do diddly squat against rubrics and scarabs.

Oh well. I just really wish it worked on DE where it'd be so nice...