How are you finding new DG "on the table"?

Zombs

IA comes into factor in many of my games. When setting up the board I try to make sure there are either woods and/or crater on it. I’ve brought my Deathshroud in into the middle of them, nothing like having a 1+ save. Then moving or charging from them, doesn’t bother them. Plus with the woods you can hide behind for the shooting penalty early on. The board shouldn’t be all ruins, not saying that all you all use. We try to use some of everything when possible as terrain is an important part of the game.

Speaking from the perspective of someone who has fought against DG recently, I used one of the most competitive Space Marine lists I could come up with (i.e. melee focuses Salamander Successor with Hellblasters, Aggressors, Plasma Inceptors, Biker "Smash Chaplain," "Selfless Healer" Chief Apothecary, Intercessors, Assault Intercessors, and a Jump Pack Smash Captain with the Salamander Relic Thunder Hammer) and lost pretty handily to a DG list my friend threw together quickly to test out the new Codex.

All-Stars of the DG were his 3 Plagueburst Crawlers, who caused very significant damage to my army every turn, his Poxwalkers, who absorbed a good bit shooting, survived, and then regenerated themselves to hold onto an Objective, and of course, Mortarion... the DG Primarch tanked shooting from almost my entire army (including the Plasma Inceptors and Eradicators arriving from Reserve), then absorbed the combined melee of my Smash Chaplain Smash Captain, and Assault Intercessors (MCed TH on the Sergeant) to survive with one wound left and then mulch the units around him!

At that point, partly due to time and partly because he was going to win pretty decisively (he hadn't even committed his BL Terminators from Reserve yet and still had 3 Plagueburst Crawlers, all his Troops, multiple support characters, and a squad of 2 Deathshroud Terminators still in action), we called it.

While admittedly Mortarion was a bit lucky with his saves (I think he tanked all but one of the Eradicator shots on his Invul 4++), and also I was out-generaled by my friend a bit, it still was quite impressive to see how decisively a DG "pick-up" game list that was thrown together beat out my pretty refined Salamander army!

Edited by L30n1d4s

IA comes into factor in many of my games. When setting up the board I try to make sure there are either woods and/or crater on it. I’ve brought my Deathshroud in into the middle of them, nothing like having a 1+ save. Then moving or charging from them, doesn’t bother them. Plus with the woods you can hide behind for the shooting penalty early on. The board shouldn’t be all ruins, not saying that all you all use. We try to use some of everything when possible as terrain is an important part of the game.

Well, in every single one of my game we use craters or something similar...it still has never factored once into my game.

Its usually been in a place where its made my charge worse as my opponents have an annoying habbit of putting there units 12" away from craters just to troll me lol.

It is better than nothing...but literally its just better than nothing. Would rather have advance & charge, or always count in cover, or fall back and shoot, or ignores cover, hell even a re-roll 1's to hit when shooting would be super cool.

Speaking from the perspective of someone who has fought against DG recently, I used one of the most competitive Space Marine lists I could come up with (i.e. melee focuses Salamander Successor with Hellblasters, Aggressors, Plasma Inceptors, Biker "Smash Chaplain," "Selfless Healer" Chief Apothecary, Intercessors, Assault Intercessors, and a Jump Pack Smash Captain with the Salamander Relic Thunder Hammer) and lost pretty handily to a DG list my friend threw together quickly to test out the new Codex.

All-Stars of the DG were his 3 Plagueburst Crawlers, who caused very significant damage to my army every turn, his Poxwalkers, who absorbed a good bit shooting, survived, and then regenerated themselves to hold onto an Objective, and of course, Mortarion... the DG Primarch tanked shooting from almost my entire army (including the Plasma Inceptors and Eradicators arriving from Reserve), then absorbed the combined melee of my Smash Chaplain Smash Captain, and Assault Intercessors (MCed TH on the Sergeant) to survive with one wound left and then mulch the units around him!

At that point, partly due to time and partly because he was going to win pretty decisively (he hadn't even committed his BL Terminators from Reserve yet and still had 3 Plagueburst Crawlers, all his Troops, multiple support characters, and a squad of 2 Deathshroud Terminators still in action), we called it.

While admittedly Mortarion was a bit lucky with his saves (I think he tanked all but one of the Eradicator shots on his Invul 4++), and also I was out-generaled by my friend a bit, it still was quite impressive to see how decisively a DG "pick-up" game list that was thrown together beat out my pretty refined Salamander army!

Was interesting to read until you said mortarion.

Thats kind of the point. The rest of the army suffers for the sake of mortation.

However, space marines do seem to suffer at the hands of DG. They dont have the cheap chaff to screen out, and a lot of their damage comes from overcharged plasma. They are also not an amazingly fast army. With the admittly few games i have played, all games vs space marines (WS, UM & IH) where all pretty decisive victories for DG. However eldar (just shot me off the board) and dark eldar (just out object secured me) won pretty decisivly. A friend did also ask if i wanted to pay his admech and i said it would pretty much be an auto-win for him (castillan robots with cawl).

Has anyone tried the Fortification? It seems very strong on paper to me.

I am still skeptical on this, I don’t like the idea of placing something out in front of my army that my opponents can sling shot off of. Plus it only has 12W and a 3+ save, sure it’s T8, but I don’t think it would be there long. I also find it funny it degrades, well it’s S does, which effects nothing about it.

If anyone finds it useful or sees something I don’t, please share.

Edit: ok, after looking more into this, it might be useful. I didn’t realize it had DR, so it might last longer then I anticipated. It counts as battle round 4, so a 9” range. Combine that flash outbreak to increase its range to 12” and considering the size of the model it can span a large area. With the right combo of contagion, this could really change how you and your opponent’s armies interact. A few examples are adding -1AP to all your weapons, 1/2 movement, or even shutting down re-rolls.

That’s pretty strong and something I think I am going to try out.

Edited by McElMcNinja

Has anyone tried the Fortification? It seems very strong on paper to me.

I am still skeptical on this, I don’t like the idea of placing something out in front of my army that my opponents can sling shot off of. Plus it only has 12W and a 3+ save, sure it’s T8, but I don’t think it would be there long. I also find it funny it degrades, well it’s S does, which effects nothing about it.

If anyone finds it useful or sees something I don’t, please share.

Edit: ok, after looking more into this, it might be useful. I didn’t realize it had DR, so it might last longer then I anticipated. It counts as battle round 4, so a 9” range. Combine that flash outbreak to increase its range to 12” and considering the size of the model it can span a large area. With the right combo of contagion, this could really change how you and your opponent’s armies interact. A few examples are adding -1AP to all your weapons, 1/2 movement, or even shutting down re-rolls.

That’s pretty strong and something I think I am going to try out.

By carefully placing the models in melee range, it is possible for an oppnent to do:

1. charge the Malignifier with key unit(s).

2. don't destroy the Malignifier on the turn they charged, but on the combat phase of following (YOUR!) turn.

3. thus, their key unit acquired free acceleration(charge-pile in-consolidate), and free protection(you cant shoot units in combat with your Malignifier).

This won't happen in every game. But, if you encounter such situation someday, you may hurry to remove the chimney thing from your list immediately, and never want to bring it again.

It counts as battle round 4, so a 9” range. Combine that flash outbreak to increase its range to 12” and considering the size of the model it can span a large area.

Just a note, Flesh Outbreak doesn't increase Contagion range to 12". You'd have to use the psychic power to increase the range.

FO just increase the round number for the purposes of contagion range, which is 9" max on turn 4+.

It's a fixed range, not +3" per round.

Edited by Balerion84

I'm not impressed by the fortification some of the rules look alright but never really been a fan of using fortifications who knows maybe if I see a few battle reports of it being used I may change my mind if it is decent gamewise , the model is nice though and look forward to getting my hands on one to cut up for conversion bits

Ran a list today I really enjoyed. Game was against one of my regular opponents (Salamanders), 1500 points, Vital Intelligence.

He took a pretty generic Sally list with some Eradicators, a Gladiator (the super expensive variant), a Redemptor, etc.

Battalion (The Wretched)

LoC, Plaguereaper, Reaper of Glorious Entropy, Warlord (Eater Plague)

Malignant Plaguecaster, Sevenfold Blessings (-1CP), The Daemon's Favour (-1CP), Miasma + Curse + Gift of Plagues

10 Poxwalkers

20 Poxwalkers

5x PM, 1x BL

10x Blightlord Terminators - 2x Plaguespewer, 2x Reaper, 2x Flail, Champion of Disease (Skull of Glothila, -1CP)

Foetid Virion (Plague Surgeon, Tallyman)

2x Bloat drones with Fleshmower

PBC

Won pretty convincingly, although I was the beneficiary of some seriously hot rolling in T1 with my PBC bracketing his Gladiator straight off the bat. If he'd managed to kill the Fleshmowers early it might have been a very different game, because one (which I have affectionately named Bargalarg) went on an absolute rampage, clearing two objectives in two turns. Some thoughts:

• Wretched are definitely not top of the competitive list, but I really like them. The Plaguecaster with the stratagem upgrade + relic is an absolute menace, and I think the WL trait has mileage in some lists
  • Plague Skull is great and should be taken constantly if the CP is available given how many mortal wounds you get out of it on average
  • Would prefer to put the Reaper of Glorious Entropy on Deathshroud, probably not worth the relic slot on a LoC
  • Still prefer Deathshroud to Blightlords, but I'll be damned if running a blob of 10 isn't a lot of fun

On the topic of the fortification: I think it's OK but still not good enough to take. GW hasn't quite been able to make a fortification worth taking yet, although this one comes closer than any before it imo

One thing to remember about the fortification is that it can be used to buff your guys: it gives out Light Cover to DG Infantry (or -1 to hit with ranged, if they already have Light Cover).
That's probably not worth 75pts on its own, but it's a use for it if your opponent might use it to slingshot (eg, Blood Angels), and it does still have a nice big 9" Contagion aura from the get go.

There's probably some use for one, but any more than that is likely too much invested.

Edit: using it defensively also helps for the Despoiled Ground secondary, if you're confident in applying the forward pressure, as a single Miasmic Malignifier could easily cover two objectives - potentially three, depending on the board, though two is much more reasonable.

Edited by Kallas

I would be looking to put the Malignanifier adjacent to some of the midfield objectives. Possibly slight back toward your deployment zone.

Basically if your opponent trys to claim those objectives, they are in the - 1T aura so you can shoot them off quicker

And you should be able to move to support it quickly if it is assaulted

Played the same list three times now, had good luck with it.

-HQ-

1xDP w/sword, Insect hive relic, wt= hulking physique

1x Plaguecaster

-Troop-

2x 10 Pox

1x 9 PM: sarge fist+plas, PM w/BL, PM w/Plas, 6 bolter&knife

1x 9 PM: sarge fist+plas, PM w/plas, 7 bolter&knife

-Elites-

2x 5 BL termies: sarge w/combi-m+axe, 1x combi-p+sword, 1 w/flail, 2x combi-bolt + sword.

1x Virion

-Plague surgeon, w/fugaris helm relic

-Tallyman, w/tollkeeper relic, plaguechosen wt = gloaming bloat

1x 5 possessed

-Heavy Support-

2x PBC w/rothail & entropy cannons

-DT-

2x rhino

I've had great fun and luck with this list. Rush up in rhinos and whole force advancing (sans poxes)

Use termies as rear reaction force if needed, mortars are good for that too.

Getting up close and personal on turn 2/3 with the PM squada + tally and surgeon is great fun.

Gloaming bloat has been HUGE for stopping the melee counterpunches that have come their way. Flash outbreak strat to get it on the DP as well for a couple turn 3 big "no reroll auras" has done so much good.

The possessed have also been very fun/useful. Good backfield roamers or hopping from obscuring to obscuring to get a turn 3 charge or such. 20 attacks on stuff like aggressors thst are now T4 from aura has been a big deal.

Of course, the other fun strats like the mortar have done good lifting too.

I use trench fighters + New DG veterans of the long war pretty often for surprisingly hellish punch power on the 9 man PM squads. Hit on 3's re-roll 1 from DP, wound MEQ or GEQ on 2's rerolling from plague knives.

Tallyman with tollkeeper is my new favorite character. CP gen, +1 to hit on the squad with 2x plasma and Blight launcher.

If enemy doesn't have big rear field ability, termies dropping midboard to get the surgeon and tollkeeper auras alongside the PM's is great~

Edited by Dark Legionnare

What fourth warlord trait have people been putting on Mortarion? I just got my book and none of them really jumped off the page at me in my initial flip through, except Droning I think.

Droning I feel like... is a bit TOO mean to your opponent, at least in our group of everyone being friendly fluff folks, no tourney type stuff, etc...  If your area is competitive as hell, droning is amazing on morty.  Have him or somebody "Gift of Plagues" on him, and he is a VERY suppressive unit running up the board.

In all other instances, I really like Gloaming Bloat.  A lot of them are good, but require plague company synergy. Gloaming bloat is just awesome, and doesn't require absolute synergy with the rest of your units' plague company.

Same thing with "Gift of Plagues", don't underestimate him 9" or 12":

• Not getting overwatched
  • They can't defend (rarer, but good)
  • !!!They cannot re-roll any hits or wounds!!!
    • His no aura ability is neat, but it only works against auras. can stop some +1 to hit, 1+ to wound, etc... auras. But Gloaming bloat will turn off ALL re-rolls in a 9" (12" with GoP) bubble. Stuff he's in with, and stuff around him.
    • I've used him to shut down Rowboat's full re-rolls, in a Dark Angels matchup they won't get their crazy terminator melee re-rolls, etc...  So many cases that this is huge.
Edited by Dark Legionnare

What fourth warlord trait have people been putting on Mortarion? I just got my book and none of them really jumped off the page at me in my initial flip through, except Droning I think.

I feel like a lot of people will say the droning.

Personally i think gloaming bloat is far superior.

A lot of things deal with things like mortarion by mass attacks, re-rolling hits and wounds. Just  being able to stop that, even if just in combat is huge

Yes, Venator looks intriguing on paper. I always liked it visually so am thinking of getting one or 2. He doesn't get DR, but I don't think it's such a big deal on vehicles in its current version. If it was still an fnp roll then that'd be a different case.

I wanted to play purely DE engines in my DG but the fact they don't get IA (which annoys greatly) and DR on vehicles doesn't help all that much, I'm starting to look at regular vehicles.

The CP cost of FW units is not great, but on the other hand, they are Bubonic Astartes which actually helps with that DG secondary objective (which, ironically, DE don't have...).

Contemptor actually looks worth it. Will be trying 1 Leviathan tomorrow, see how it goes.

Interested in other FW units, especially that Venator.

Yes, Venator looks intriguing on paper. I always liked it visually so am thinking of getting one or 2. He doesn't get DR, but I don't think it's such a big deal on vehicles in its current version. If it was still an fnp roll then that'd be a different case.

I wanted to play purely DE engines in my DG but the fact they don't get IA (which annoys greatly) and DR on vehicles doesn't help all that much, I'm starting to look at regular vehicles.

The CP cost of FW units is not great, but on the other hand, they are Bubonic Astartes which actually helps with that DG secondary objective (which, ironically, DE don't have...).

Contemptor actually looks worth it. Will be trying 1 Leviathan tomorrow, see how it goes.

Interested in other FW units, especially that Venator.

Melta spams have already expelled most vehicle-based lists out of meta. A dedicated-anti-vehicle vehicle live in vaccum.